UFC 265: Lewis vs Gane - Discussion Thread

Aldo -115 here seems crazy. Better striker, won't be taken down

I'd cap him -150 or -175. What am I missing here?

Not too much tread left on them tires. While they are the same age Munhoz hasn’t sustained near the damage or been knocked out numerous times like Aldo has.

Yeah, for sure. Moreover, I think RDA is a better grappler than Luque and Chiesa also absolutely blanketed him for 2 rounds (rd 2 was close), and even when tired had enough to win the grappling in rd 3.

My thing with someone like Chiesa is that he understands what he is. The short time at the beginning of rounds when it's standing, he is very unlikely to engage and lead and leave himself open to be clippped. Not saying it can't happen (of course it can), but Mike's not gonna be looking to land anything significant. Luque loves to push forward and try to force a firefight. Mike will almost surely use that to get ahold of Luque and bully him back against the cage where the chain wrestling starts. And from there I just don't see how Luque stops the bigger, better grappler from having his way.

If Chiesa was a guy who had his skillset but fancied himself something he's not and randomly decided to stand for full rounds with clearly better strikers, no way am I this high on him here. But he's not.

Like Mariano Rivera was as a baseball pitcher. He basically threw one pitch that almost nobody could handle. He perfected that cutter and night in and night out he got guys out with it. He didn't try to throw a 100 mph four seam fastball or mix in big looping curveballs to show he could. He perfected one thing and dared you to beat it. That's how Chiesa fights. (Not a perfect analogy but you get the point).

Usman is a guy that can neutralize that grappling. Maybe Colby too. Possibly Edwards, Chimaev, etc. I'm not saying Mike is the best WW out there, he's not. He's gonna lose at 170 at some point for sure. I just don't think Luque is the guy to stop what Chiesa does though. I could be wrong.

Very well put. I also value physicality heavily. Especially if technical skill is somewhat comparable.

RDA even past is prime, is a very well rounded fighter. Very good striking, wrestling, and grappling. Probably not the best at any one thing but one of the best at each in his division.

To come to my point. Look up the fighters facing off against RDA that beat him at 170. They tower over him in every sense.

Chiesa is one of those. He's a real big tall welterweight. That Luque had some success against a 40 year old NCAA wrestler on tuf doesn't sell me at all on Luque's ability to keep it standing. Especially because Leon Edwards could take him down and keep him down comfortably.

Not too much tread left on them tires. While they are the same age Munhoz hasn’t sustained near the damage or been knocked out numerous times like Aldo has.

Maybe, let's see. Munhoz has taken alot of damage though. He has so much scar tissue on his face, Frankie busted it up fairly quickly and it cost heavily on the scorecards.

Aldo looked pretty durable still against Vera. He's pretty defensively capable, only his 4th knockout.

Jose is old yeh, but he's still fairly athletic. He's picked up old tricks when old stuff fails him. Munhoz may have an iron chin but let's see Aldo punish that body.

If Munhoz was one of the more athletic guys, sure. But he's kinda slow himself. And 40 year old Edgar edged him out before.

Could middle-aged Edgar given Yan his toughest UFC fight yet?

Maybe, let's see. Munhoz has taken alot of damage though. He has so much scar tissue on his face, Frankie busted it up fairly quickly and it cost heavily on the scorecards.

Aldo looked pretty durable still against Vera. He's pretty defensively capable, only his 4th knockout.

Jose is old yeh, but he's still fairly athletic. He's picked up old tricks when old stuff fails him. Munhoz may have an iron chin but let's see Aldo punish that body.

If Munhoz was one of the more athletic guys, sure. But he's kinda slow himself. And 40 year old Edgar edged him out before.

Could middle-aged Edgar given Yan his toughest UFC fight yet?

Well that’s MMA math but he still ended up taking a hellacious beating against Yan that likely took years off his life. I’d give Munhoz the cardio edge as well.

Well that’s MMA math but he still ended up taking a hellacious beating against Yan that likely took years off his life. I’d give Munhoz the cardio edge as well.

Probably did take years of his life. I won't bet on Jose unless he takes a few more steps down in level in the following year or two.

However, he did look durable against Vera. It's been a while now from it. It's 3 round Aldo, I see cardio having little play.

Munhoz undoubtedly has the chin edge. Not the height or reach, striking or grappling.

It is MMA math. I think it illustrates levels. If an ollllddd Frankie Edgar can edge him out, I think Aldo can comfortably.

He'll lose to Yan tho.

Probably did take years of his life. I won't bet on Jose unless he takes a few more steps down in level in the following year or two.

However, he did look durable against Vera. It's been a while now from it. It's 3 round Aldo, I see cardio having little play.

Munhoz undoubtedly has the chin edge. Not the height or reach, striking or grappling.

It is MMA math. I think it illustrates levels. If an ollllddd Frankie Edgar can edge him out, I think Aldo can comfortably.

He'll lose to Yan tho.

I seem to remember him slowing down a little bit against Vera and resorting to playing the human backpack in Round 3 which I don’t think he’ll be able to do against Munhoz.

I seem to remember him slowing down a little bit against Vera and resorting to playing the human backpack in Round 3 which I don’t think he’ll be able to do against Munhoz.

We all look at things differently, and your opinion is equally valid. However, I just saw Aldo taking into an area Vera nothing had for him.

Maybe he could of stood with Vera the rest of the round and outclass him like he was doing. To either disprove one our points lmao.

However, he's got himself in a very good position where Vera can't really hurt him. He's an elite BJJ blackbelt, I would taken advantage of it.

Think aldo actually fought smart vs vera for a change

munhoz isn’t fast enough nor does he have good enough footwork to replicate what yan was able to do. Aldo also wore down from yans pressure over 3 rounds. He was having success until then

Think aldo actually fought smart vs vera for a change

munhoz isn’t fast enough nor does he have good enough footwork to replicate what yan was able to do. Aldo also wore down from yans pressure over 3 rounds. He was having success until then

Plus Yan has excellent boxing. Alot of modern Aldo game is bodywork, he was having alot of success with it before Yan tuned in blocking it and countering hard.

Pedro doesn't have that option.

We all look at things differently, and your opinion is equally valid. However, I just saw Aldo taking into an area Vera nothing had for him.

Maybe he could of stood with Vera the rest of the round and outclass him like he was doing. To either disprove one our points lmao.

However, he's got himself in a very good position where Vera can't really hurt him. He's an elite BJJ blackbelt, I would taken advantage of it.

I think he did it because Vera clearly won the 2nd Round and he was slowing down. Smart move obviously because he won a pretty clear 29-28 decision.

Luca Fury is back (since 2017) ... saying all his content will be free.

It's hard to pick Pedro to beat Aldo in a 3 round kick boxing match when Pedro just lost a kick boxing fight to Frankie Edgar
Im staying clear from both guys. Im leaning aldo but also worry the damage he took in the Yan fight wore him out.

Luca Fury is back (since 2017) ... saying all his content will be free.

This guy is so full of crap.

Anik gassing him up saying he’s the goat mma bettor lol

I thought Luca “retired” because he was so rich from mma and crypto

now he’s crawling back and his stuff is all free and coincidently he’s working for an mma media outlet

Yea that makes sense

stay away from touts boys and girls

Back