UFC 296: Leon Edwards vs. Colby Covington, Las Vegas, December 16

Colby is 100% gonna try to keep Leon pushed against the cage and make it a clinchfest. Everything he does is with the goal of wearing an opponent out. Weaponized cardio. And it **might** work here. People forget that Leon gassed HARD against Nate not that long ago and damn near was finished in a fight that he mostly controlled.

Colby sure pushes the pace just line a Diaz brother in their best form but I'm not sure he is still there, ready to take every opportunity to win the fight after taking a beating.
And by that I mean he mostly dominates his fights. RDA fight is the one where he was made to work hard and he came out the winner. I give him that.
Edit. Maia fight as well as he had to come from behind after rocky first round.

Colby sure pushes the pace just line a Diaz brother in their best form but I'm not sure he is still there, ready to take every opportunity to win the fight after taking a beating.
And by that I mean he mostly dominates his fights. RDA fight is the one where he was made to work hard and he came out the winner. I give him that.
Yeah not saying I necessarily favor Colby but I do think he's live because his style is tough to prep for. The ability to just be active every second and sap an opponent's energy is somewhat rare.

Maybe Im a dumb idiot but what the heck is Colbys way to win here? You could say takedowns and control but Usman to my eye is better at both and we just saw Leon shut him down this year. Also Colby really doesnt control elite competion unless you count Mas, Lawler or Woodley, all past thier best, as elite competion. Against Usman and RDA he changed his style a bit and took a cardio boxing route. I assume this is the plan here as well. The problem is this is absolutely what Leon wants to happen. He can strike with Colby all night.
Last time Colby fought someone Younger than him was in 2016, that was before Connor vs diaz 1 happened.
Colby is a great fighter but he did build a carrer out of Beating old people and sucking Trump's balls.

While I do think Garbrandt will win personally I would be very hesitant to place a large bet on a fighter with such a questionable chin.

BOL with your bet!
Ditto, I could see Kelleher catching him with something stupid late in the fight.

Garry allegedly out?

Garry allegedly out?

If they're in the hospital then that sucks and is understandable to pull out.

Garry is going to keep taking a beating on social media though, and God help him if he comes back and loses.

If they're in the hospital then that sucks and is understandable to pull out.

Garry is going to keep taking a beating on social media though, and God help him if he comes back and loses.

Yeah when it's your kid, nobody should say shit. They will, but they shouldn't.

I don't get the Colby love. He's a worse version of Usman in every facet. His striking has gotten worse from earlier in his career, he's slower and tries to fight on the backfoot sometimes and uses less kicks for some reason since switching camps. No finishing upside, couldn't bust a grape and couldn't finish an exhausted old Masvidal. He's been hurt bad in his last 3 fights, has been super inactive and is almost 36 years old with a grueling style that has taken a lot out of him.

Leon looked better than ever vs Usman back in March, he's going to be a nightmare to beat, Colby is one of the last people I'd pick to do it.

Im confident Leon Edwards will win because he already beat a similar better opponent (Belal) . He was kicking his ass until Belal faked an eye poke. Belal is bigger, stronger, faster, smarter, better cardio, more durable, and hits a lot harder than Colby does.

Personally I'm on the Edwards side as well. I just think he is the fresher fighter. He is also huge so should be able to stuff enough takedowns and obviously on the feet it should not even be close. But I don't like him at these odds. I would like to get a better price to bet him.

If Colby comes in great shape he could push a relentless pace and just just cage push and drag it to the ground over and over again. I don't think Colby will strike for a minute with Edwards, he will be on him like glue from minute 1 to the end. If his cardio holds up and he still have enough physical strength to compete with Edwards he could win this way.

I'm just not sure he still has that cardio and I think Edwards is probably significantly stronger than he is at this stage of their respective careers.

Personally I'm on the Edwards side as well. I just think he is the fresher fighter. He is also huge so should be able to stuff enough takedowns and obviously on the feet it should not even be close. But I don't like him at these odds. I would like to get a better price to bet him.

If Colby comes in great shape he could push a relentless pace and just just cage push and drag it to the ground over and over again. I don't think Colby will strike for a minute with Edwards, he will be on him like glue from minute 1 to the end. If his cardio holds up and he still have enough physical strength to compete with Edwards he could win this way.

I'm just not sure he still has that cardio and I think Edwards is probably significantly stronger than he is at this stage of their respective careers.
You don't "like him at these odds"?
I nabbed him at -138, he's only at -150 now.
If you can get a fighter at -150 that you are pretty sure is gonna win, that's a good bet IMO.

If you can get a fighter at -150 that you are pretty sure is gonna win, that's a good bet IMO.
I went too crazy on Leon. I think the odds are just wrong lol.

I think his clinch is not talked about enough. He makes people act weird in the clinch because he's able to hit them cleanly there. I wanna see how Colby reacts to it.

I went too crazy on Leon. I think the odds are just wrong lol.

I think his clinch is not talked about enough. He makes people act weird in the clinch because he's able to hit them cleanly there. I wanna see how Colby reacts to it.
Leon is one of the few fighters that is great in the clinch. Colby will have to be very wary when exiting it.

I'm slightly leaning Edwards, let's say lean is 60-40 so to bet him as a moderate favourite is not something I want. I actually went and bet the other way.
I did the Bet365 Betbuilder and took 0.5U shot on Colby to win + O2.5 rounds at +190. As I wrote before, I can see a path to victory for Colby with relentless grappling and pressure, but I doubt he is finishing a fresh Edwards.

However, I do lean Edwards... but that's just because of the inactivity of Colby. I would favour Colby if I knew he was in good shape.

It looks like the Brown fight is off. Did they ever decide if Luque is just off the card?

It looks like the Brown fight is off. Did they ever decide if Luque is just off the card?

Brown is confirmed off the card... looks dire for Luque vs Holland, they bumped Emmet vs Bryce to main card and weigh in is getting closer. Seems like we are not getting any other fights :(
To bad since both was willing to throw down.

Er...wouldn't Vicente Luque vs Salikhov be the obvious fight to make? They're both available, same weight class, and it would have been interesting to see how their striking styles matched up.

Those two were also my fave bets of the night before the cancelations. Sucks.

Last edited:
Back