UFC 296: Leon Edwards vs. Colby Covington, Las Vegas, December 16

Leon Edwards (21-3) Vs Colby Covington (17-3)

UFC 296 is upon us, and make no mistake this is the biggest fight of the YEAR.

Colby “Chaos” Covington is once again challenging for the undisputed welterweight title.

It’s worth noting that he earned this opportunity through his popularity and ability to draw in viewers, rather than solely based on his achievements in the octagon.

Leon “Rocky” Edwards is fresh off back to back wins over former champ Kamaru Usman, and appeared to be in excellent form in his recent outing.

Colby is making his return after beating Jorge Masvidal in a grudge match almost two years ago.

I believe Edwards is a nightmare match up for Colby and he will be in for a long night.

Colby made this very personal at the press conference and I’m confident that both men will make this a dirty fight and its possible we may see a point reduction from either fighter during the match.

In the end it won’t matter as I believe Edwards has the skills to put Covington away for good and end his title hopes once and for all.

My prediction is that Edwards will secure a victory by KO/TKO, although a submission win wouldn’t surprise me either.

Pick: Leon Edwards Wins Inside Distance (+250)

Im confident Leon Edwards will win because he already beat a similar better opponent (Belal) . He was kicking his ass until Belal faked an eye poke. Belal is bigger, stronger, faster, smarter, better cardio, more durable, and hits a lot harder than Colby does.

More cardio? Uhh, no.

-110 on Bovada for Edwards to score a KD. My favorite bet in a while. Colby drops his right hand consistently and has been staggered or knocked down 3 of.his last 4 fights. Leon will hurt Colby whether he wins or loses. Too many weapons. Elbows, kicks, left hand. It's all there.

I think Mitchell/Emmett ends ITD is going to happen. If Emmett is successful, he's likely knocking out Mitchell. If Mitchell is successful, he's probably going to get the sub. Emmett is truly sprawl and brawl. Mitchell is all about mauling his opponent on the ground. This seems like a clash of styles that is hard to see going to decision unless Mitchell decides to go more tentative on takedowns.

My picks

Colby Covington by KO/TKO (RD3)
Brandon Royval by KO/TKO (RD1)
Stephen Thompson by KO/TKO (RD3)
Paddy Pimblett by Decision
Bryce Mitchell by Decision
Dustin Jacoby by KO/TKO (RD2)
Karol Rosa by Decision
Brian Kelleher by KO/TKO (RD1)
Casey O'Neill by Decision
Cody Durden by Decision
Lucas Almeida by Decision
Martin Buday by KO/TKO (RD1)

Last edited:
I think Mitchell/Emmett ends ITD is going to happen. If Emmett is successful, he's likely knocking out Mitchell. If Mitchell is successful, he's probably going to get the sub. Emmett is truly sprawl and brawl. Mitchell is all about mauling his opponent on the ground. This seems like a clash of styles that is hard to see going to decision unless Mitchell decides to go more tentative on takedowns.

I can't really remember Emmett off his back at all and A) how good his getups are and B) what he's like when he's actually on his back.

But you really think Bryce "mauls" guys on the mat? Maybe I'm forgetting some fights, but seems way more like he flows, looks to set up subs or advance position, and to make sure he sticks on the guy if the guy manages to post and start to get back to his feet so that Bryce can re-mat him (I remember it happening multiple times in the Ige fight).

It's a card of underdogs

Kelleher, Emmett, Ferguson, Wonderboy, Royval, Colby

Too many people on Leon and dismissing Colby, almost becoming a play simply for fading the majority.

Yeah I'm starting to feel the pressure of circle jerk!
:oops:
Also Drake pretty much took out one method of Leon winning this fight.

Last edited:
I can't really remember Emmett off his back at all and A) how good his getups are and B) what he's like when he's actually on his back.

But you really think Bryce "mauls" guys on the mat? Maybe I'm forgetting some fights, but seems way more like he flows, looks to set up subs or advance position, and to make sure he sticks on the guy if the guy manages to post and start to get back to his feet so that Bryce can re-mat him (I remember it happening multiple times in the Ige fight).

What I meant by maul is that he's on them like glue and typically getting to dominant/advantageous positions. Emmett just doesn't want to be on the ground - plain and simple. I mentioned Yair sub vs. him prior to that fight. I think he's got serious holes on the ground and I think it's a complete style mismatch. Unless Bryce is super cautious standing, I see one person being exploited where they aren't comfortable.

Mains: Buday, Durden, Lipski +3.5, Emmett.

Bryce looked soft at weigh ins, have to take a shot here Emmett Rds 1-2 , Buday 2-3 worth sprinkles also.

Am I insane for picking Tony because I am not sold on Paddy at all?

Some good fights tonight fellas. Can't wait to see Covington taking a nap. Liking Mitchell, Garbrandt, Aldana, and Lipski.

Back