UFC Lightweight fighter vs NFL Lineman, who do you take in that fight?

Lmao why is this even a discussion? It would be much harder to defeat another average LW in UFC than linebacker. Fighting has nothing to do with size at that point. He would get taken down and submitted by an absolutely average grapplers.

Jon's brothers cannot beat Jon in an ALL OUT fight. They are bigger and stronger and can probably out rough house him. But Jon fighting to end them like he does in the cage? They're not beating that Jon.

And, they both have trained lots of wrestling and MMA, with the GOAT himself.

So I agree with you that Islam isn't beating THEM. But the average linebacker that's never trained MMA? Easy enough.
Now you moving the goal posts? Now the caveat is it has to be an 'avg linebacker' and one that has 'never trained mma' before. I just question how many more times you going to move the goal posts so that your answer makes it between them?

Also how does Matt Mitrinone fit into this whole debate?

tumblr_os3423wJ1a1rofocqo1_540.gif

washed up nfl lineman ko's MMA's GOAT. I think they can do just fine on someone literally half their weight or less.

You know if you trained for a few years at a good gym you would get to see DI ball players get into MMA/BJJ and get wrecked by amateur LW fighters.

We went from lineman to linebacker, 2 very different things....Linebackers are jacked athletic guys who should hover around 230-240. Most lineman are just big dudes who average 314 pounds

Now you moving the goal posts? Now the caveat is it has to be an 'avg linebacker' and one that has 'never trained mma' before. I just question how many more times you going to move the goal posts so that your answer makes it between them?
Were the goal posts somewhere else? I didn't read the whole thread, but if we're specifically talking about trained linemen or Jon's brothers specifically, then my post is indeed invalid. I haven't read the whole thread, but I'd taken TS's post to be asking about an avg UFC LW vs an avg NFL lineman. If we're talking about a more specific question posed later in the thread, I haven't seen it yet.

Hmm a professional fighter or a non fighter in a fight?

Interesting question.

At what point do you begin to think the Lineman would win though? Honestly I don't like the Lineman comparison, they're often immobile and overweight, I usually say Linebacker. Do we really think a prime Ray Lewis is losing to Tim Elliot?

His lone win against a solid opponent in the UFC was Clay Guida. One could argue Garcia, I suppose. As soon as Roger began fighting recognizable names on a consistent basis he began losing. Roger was a serviceable fighter who was matched in an advantageous way in the UFC, and as soon as he faced an elite level fighter (K Flo) lost handily. His record since leaving is bad.

He was never my friend.
That’s the same Guida that beat Pettis, Marcus Aurelio, Nate Diaz, Dos Anjos, Gomi, Kawajiri, Joe Lauzon, BJ Penn, Michael Johnson, etc.
You don’t beat Guida if you’re not UFC level, genius and no amount of mental gymnastics of the uninitiated changes that.

At what point do you begin to think the Lineman would win though? Honestly I don't like the Lineman comparison, they're often immobile and overweight, I usually say Linebacker. Do we really think a prime Ray Lewis is losing to Tim Elliot?
If the flyweight survives a couple of minutes the NFL guy is fucked.

So.... just because a guy refers to you as "asswipe" you refuse to keep talking with him? Great way to lose friends, Bobby!
He is still trying and I'm not even looking. A ton of "Who gives a fuck" going on today. Should really just not respond at all, just can't help myself sometimes. I've grown, though. 10 years ago that back and forth would have been epic.

I mean, idk about a lineman, but LW Huerta knocked that UT linebacker cold with little effort... "But he wasn't NFL caliber," you say? Huerta wasn't really UFC caliber either.
Regardless of how bad you think Roger Huerta was, he was a legitimate professional MMA fighter... The kid Huerta fought was never good enough to become a professional football player ever. NFL, CFL, XFL, USFL, whatever. There are half a dozen pro football leagues and that guy never joined any of them.

The college football player was just a regular ass college kid who went on to become a car salesman or something.

Last edited:
If you're talking about a guy who actually walks around at 155, meaning a guy who is most likely an active bantamweight/featherweight, then it might be hard to favour them against the bigger guy. But if we're talking a guy who walks around at 170-180 and cuts to fight at lightweight, then I think they are the easy favourite.

This Askren looking dude kicked the Oklahoma football dude's ass.

If the flyweight survives a couple of minutes the NFL guy is fucked.

Maybe, but its a far more compelling question. It could be like a killer whale attacking a seal when you have a guy like DK Metcalf throwing down in a cage vs a guy like Dvorak.

Were the goal posts somewhere else? I didn't read the whole thread, but if we're specifically talking about trained linemen or Jon's brothers specifically, then my post is indeed invalid. I haven't read the whole thread, but I'd taken TS's post to be asking about an avg UFC LW vs an avg NFL lineman. If we're talking about a more specific question posed later in the thread, I haven't seen it yet.
The title of the thread is light weight fighter vs nfl lineman. NFL lineman includes oline and dline. Dline is where the Jone bros play at. A linebacker is not a lineman, though I give you that it does have line in its name.

I don't know who Ray Lewis is tbh but if he hasn't trained to fight then yeah he loses

Brock Lesnar tried his hand at the NFL, couldn't latch on.

Greg Hardy did ok in NFL for a few seasons.

Austen Lane was also in the NFL for a little while.

UFC HWs if they tried to play in the NFL would mostly be linemen from what we've seen. I think those 3 guys were all defensive linemen.

There are other guys in the UFC who played college football. Like Eryk Anders who fights at MW and LHW and played linebacker at Alabama. He tried to go pro in football, couldn't latch on with the Cleveland Browns.
I was being facetious tbh. I was trying to point out how ridiculous the question was.

The title of the thread is light weight fighter vs nfl lineman. NFL lineman includes oline and dline. Dline is where the Jone bros play at. A linebacker is not a lineman, though I give you that it does have line in its name.
So TS did not specify Jones' brothers then, just a random "lineman". I cited the typical, average example of both linemen and LW UFC fighters. I didn't handpick a particularly dangerous LW fighter nor did I handpick a particularly trained/prepared lineman.

It sounds like you might be considering a much more specific question than the one posed. As is your right. I did mean "lineman" when I wrote "linebacker" so excuse me for that.

So TS did not specify Jones' brothers then, just a random "lineman". I cited the typical, average example of both linemen and LW UFC fighters. I didn't handpick a particularly dangerous LW fighter nor did I handpick a particularly trained/prepared lineman.

It sounds like you might be considering a much more specific question than the one posed. As is your right. I did mean "lineman" when I wrote "linebacker" so excuse me for that.
It says NFL lineman, which is either oline or dline. Not linebacker. Islam is the LW champ and the Jones brothers are brothers to the hw champ, who happen to be nfl lineman. Or should the lw champ have to fight the lamest duck nfl lineman to only then have a chance?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicenhot
Back