UFC on ESPN 20 PBP/Discussion

Because he is such a proficient grappler that he still flows on the ground despite being tired, but you could clearly see that he wasn't that impressive anymore with the tkds and completely gassed on the feet, which cause a deterioration in footwork that was pretty clear IMO.
Btw, as I said it before, his footwork was horrendous, even more after r3, he kind of runs from side to side while crossing his feet... still a big hole in his game if you ask me.

I'm not just talking about the grappling. Guys who are seriously tired don't circle as energetically as Chiesa did in round 5, nevermind that he was landing fairly stiff strikes against Magny while avoiding the ones in return.

Both the bettors in this topic and commentators were making a big deal about Chiesa's possible cardio woes, but it turned out to be a completely false narrative. You don't dominate rounds 4 and 5, on the ground and standing, against Neil Magny if your cardio isn't very good.

There are guys I would favor against Chiesa at 170, but they're very few in number.

I'm not just talking about the grappling. Guys who are seriously tired don't circle as energetically as Chiesa did in round 5, nevermind that he was landing fairly stiff strikes against Magny while avoiding the ones in return.

Both the bettors in this topic and commentators were making a big deal about Chiesa's possible cardio woes, but it turned out to be a completely false narrative. You don't dominate rounds 4 and 5, on the ground and standing, against Neil Magny if your cardio isn't very good.

There are guys I would favor against Chiesa at 170, but they're very few in number.

I'm with you on this. Chiesa looked very solid IMO. Think how many people stated they liked him in a 3 round fight, but they don't like him in a 5 rounder. That would imply they think he's either going to lose both those rounds or get finished in those. He won both the 4th and 5th.

I don't think cardio is going to be his problem against contenders. If he can get takedowns, I don't see him gassing. The problem will be if he can't get the takedowns. I do think that has the potential to gas him, but I don't think he'd win fights without the takedowns anyways against top guys. I'd like to see him against a wrestler that isn't quite at the top yet to see how he does.

Back