UFN 123 - Swanson vs Ortega - Fresno, CA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't in fight camp, but I was training, 2.5 weeks to train, I need to get a win, first fight I took 8-9 days notice and I was dead tired, second fight I thought I won, was depressed about losing the split decision, was trying too much to put on a show, now back to my roots, I have kids and a wife, a mortgage, I need to support them, you'll see a finish, no one would have taking this fight, but I'll take the risk, I don't care, my job is on the line, I'm risking alot by asking for the fight, I went back home, so I had to train with my old coaches, was chaotic,

Both of those fights could, would and should have been stopped with the favorite winning by TKO in the first if the ref was a bit more diligent. Bad beats, IMO.

Ortega's massively outkicked his coverage and I don't think he'll stay in the FW top 15. His only good win was the comeback against Moicano, who I'm not even convinced on as a fighter since he beat a fairly-flat Jeremy Stephens.

Sanchez fight should've been stopped, Yancy was moving and defending a lot more than Janes was imo. But I'll move on from this lol

We're lucky as betters to have fighters like Ortega pulling out miracle finishes when they should be losing. I'm surprised to see the Cub line has actually gotten closer to even in my book. I don't think Ortega is bad though, I could see him staying consistent top 15 if not bottom half of top 10. But Cub is way too solid and he's not gonna get through that gate

moicano has no power in his punches which allowed ortega to keep coming forward. i think moicano's broken nose and his reluctance to keep getting his was one of the reasons he made that terrible shot in r3.

if ortega gets hit anywhere near as much in this fight he's going night night.

i think cub + money is clearly the right side here.

Watching Ortega Brandao

Ortega is patient. Too patient. I guess his strategy is to try to wear down the fighter before he starts to take risks. That won’t work with cub who has great cardio.

I feel like Ortega should play to his grappling jiu jitsu strength more. He could wear down guys by closing the distance earlier and pressuring them with the takedown threat. If he isn’t successful he could just pull guard or try to hit something out of the clinch

he went into rd 3 knowing he likely needed a finish he really turned it up and started to play to his strengths. No more circling and fighting at range. He’s really dangerous when he gets a hold of you

His lines for rds 3-5 were no brainers

Sub line at +250 now is a bit low but it’s likely his only path to victory. He’s not going to outvolume cub
In an interview he did with Luke Thomas, he talked about how most BJJ guys fall into the trap of shooting for too many takedowns early which exhausts them and leaves them defenseless to strikes. He openly talked about how he likes to withhold shooting and prefers to engage in the striking and look for the takedown after in the chaos. Dude is very conscious and deliberate about how he spends his energy so it's no surprise he always comes on strong late. Also if you listen into his corner between rounds, Rener and him talk about how their plans are to take Brandao into "deep water", they even shout it during the fight a couple times

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/12...lon-moraes-fight-striking-sucks-love-mma-news

“[This year] I learned I can compete with the best strikers in the world. That I have the capability to strike with anybody. I learned that in the Assuncao fight. I learned that I’m a lot better than I gave myself credit for in the stand-up. People always said, ‘Oh his stand-up sucks,’ but I was looking at it like, if you can’t force me to stand up – where that’s not my strongest suit and it’s not where I’m most comfortable – that’s your problem. But now I’ve been falling in love a lot more with stand-up and I’ve just been striking a lot more. It’s fun. It’s a lot more fun than I thought it would be with those little gloves.”

Cub at +100 now. I was thrilled with him at -125. Thought the line would go the other way.

Cub at +100 now. I was thrilled with him at -125. Thought the line would go the other way.
Yeah. I'm curious who's betting on Ortega. I went hard on Swanson at 1.78 3 weeks ago since I thought that'd be the peak. I literally posted the day after Ortega's last fight that 'He's a fun fighter but there's no way this bullshit works on the top 5, I'll take Swanson/Lamas/Aldo -200 against him'. I'd be amazed if he stays in the top 15, to be honest.

moicano has no power in his punches which allowed ortega to keep coming forward. i think moicano's broken nose and his reluctance to keep getting his was one of the reasons he made that terrible shot in r3.

i think cub + money is clearly the right side here.
Cubs last ko was in 2013 vs siver
He’s on the downside of his career
High mileage

Ortega is young hungry and improving

Last edited:
For anyone that can translate

-I was the UWC LW champ. The only fight that I lost was at WW.
-I won't fight at 170 again, but I might fight at 155 after I make a bigger name of myself at 145.
-When you are the best fighter at your gym, you have to move to another gym to keep improving. AKA is a great gym with a lot of tough dudes that make you train at 110%.
-I'm training with the best grappler in the sport. Khabib is helping me prepare for this fight, he is a beast. I'm training with him very frequently.
-I don't feel like I lost against Barzola, and it looks like the matchmaker feels the same, because he gave me the 15th ranked fighter. I knocked him down before the bell rang, but it looks like the judges didn't score it.
-I had to fight against Barzola with an injury in my right hand. I could punch but I had problems with my grip, and that caused my trouble when defending takedowns.
-I'm also a gamer, I was going to take part in a e-sports tournament but I couldn't because I had to start my training camp.

Last edited:

Swansons last 4 wins are via decision, they all took Cubs best shots without going out. Ortega seems to have a really good chin so I would not count on Cub finishing him if I was betting on Cub..

Focus on dieting, keep my weight down, training at home (Houston), great wrestlers and black belts, enjoying the time off, trying to get into the Police academy, first time fighting a black belt, have to be careful on the ground, I'll have to gas him out before the ground and pound, training alot of takedown defense, easy weight cut, he gets tired in the second round, TKO second round

Hand hand surgery after my last fight, dislocated my thumb, I'm always training, got married, hopefully Horcher doesn't plan on wrestling, training with Benson, Case, Drakkar, been grinding with Benson for 5 years, I always eat healthy, working out, it will be a tough fight, I'm more well rounded, more tools

Getting to fight Morales is karma taking it's course, I had a concussion, he was running his mouth, I'm been training since I was 12, it's personal, I can't wait to get my hands on him, I gassed hard in DWCS trying to go for the finish in the first, I want to show how much better I am, I didn't think I'd get the contract, Morales is tough, not afraid to brawl, it's great for me, I see holes in his stand up, I don't think he'll be able to get me on the ground, keep it standing, he won't be able to hold there, been at TAM for 2 years, highest level training, Guida, Cody, easy weight cut, push the pace, he'll slow down and I'll KO him, I want people to remember me

Last week of hard training, he's tough, good kicks, straight left and guillotine, I dominate if I take it to the ground, he's very beatable, stay away from the heavy kicks, I have no gameplan, doing something I love, I'm a brown belt, Benitez is a step back, he's not ranked, but try to get back in the win column, he hits so hard, giving him all the respect in the world, I have to win in devastating fashion, I don't want to be a gatekeeper, show UFC

March him down, sprawl and brawl, I train with killers, Elkins, Guida, such a big team, last fight I took on 4 weeks notice, I wasn't in best shape, but now I have a full 8 weeks, I promise a knee in the first 30 sections, I love crazy strikers, I'm really good at stopping takedowns and getting back to my feet, people don't know that, I'm so motivated, more mature, he's tough, long, aggressive, good chin, same size as me, I'm confident, I'll shut down his jab and leg kick, he'll panic, he'll look for a takedown, he said some things about being me being concussed, I thanked god when I got the Morales fight, this is what I'm destined to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back