Warhammer 40k

So my buddy sent me a few pics of some more miniatures that he’s painted.

F22AE9A7-F094-4ED6-9964-4F89B798EBD5.jpeg 8C27974C-9BCE-4971-AE69-2AA15D2673A8.jpeg 606F05A7-B872-470D-9396-7448B3DACD80.jpeg

He’s been trying to get into painting for others on a commission basis, as he enjoys doing this and is good at it imo, and is looking to make a bit of extra money on the side. I had suggested that he look for a subreddit where he could show off his work and advertise his services but that seemingly backfired as he’s been catching flack and been accused of “fishing” by guys in whatever subreddit he tried. Anyone have any suggestions as to what else he could try?

Also If anyone was interested in hiring him for a job feel free to PM me and I can pass along his contact information.

Thanks man!

I'm loving things in the 31st Millenium, there's so much great lore here, but it's almost too much awesomeness knowing there's so much more beyond. That book sounds like a great bridge from the HH.

I have the Eisenhorn trilogy and a few called Gaunt's Ghosts or something, they are supposed to be stellar, which are 40k based. Should I get your suggested book first?
It's up to you. I liked it because unification wars is a topic that interests me

Last edited:

View attachment 852585 View attachment 852586 View attachment 852587

He’s been trying to get into painting for others on a commission basis, as he enjoys doing this and is good at it imo, and is looking to make a bit of extra money on the side. I had suggested that he look for a subreddit where he could show off his work and advertise his services but that seemingly backfired as he’s been catching flack and been accused of “fishing” by guys in whatever subreddit he tried. Anyone have any suggestions as to what else he could try?

Also If anyone was interested in hiring him for a job feel free to PM me and I can pass along his contact information.
My understanding is that being a commission painter is tough. People expect a Golden Demon paintjob at bargain pricing and zero wait times. My brief experience with reddit wasn't good (I helped a bunch of people in the 3D modeling/CAD subs and not once did they upvote me even when they came back saying my suggestion fixed their problem) so I'm not surprised things didn't go well. He might want to try a place like Fiverr.

i knew a girl that had a roomie that did that with civil war figurines or something. apparently, civil war reenactors/something have a rabid niche for this shit and paid pretty well and reliably.

so if he just wants to paint figurines for money/experience, it might be worth looking into.

or maybe he should just take the same pic you just linked and sell it as a NFT for retarded amounts of money. beats me. nothing makes sense, anymore.

Day 4 is boxed games [LINK]. A bunch of cool looking stuff for games I don't play. Oh, and we finally get a plastic Thunderhawk!!!!! Only, it's 1/4 scale for Aeronotica.
29tWJm04yEG2BFl1.jpg

Oooh, ah. Even in Salamanders colors! Hmm, I might have to get one to reverse-engineer into a full size 3D printable file...

Last edited:

Haha well thanks for advertising here for me mate :) happy to see and join another 40k forum and better yet it's part of an mma forum! Happy to join the discussion.

Day Five [LINK] is back to more 40k. We've got the new Ork faction, mega-armor warboss finally gets a model, plus an upgrade sprue for the Cadians box (...yippee).
b2CKZLQDUmGBYOz3.jpg

rDMUNMPAgZWqUmHn.jpg

Day 4 is boxed games [LINK]. A bunch of cool looking stuff for games I don't play. Oh, and we finally get a plastic Thunderhawk!!!!! Only, it's 1/4 scale for Aeronotica.
29tWJm04yEG2BFl1.jpg

Oooh, ah. Even in Salamanders colors! Hmm, I might have to get one to reverse-engineer into a full size 3D printable file...

The smaller scale stuff they release for Aeronautica Imperialis and Adeptus Titanicus always gives me a warm feeling inside. Reminds me of Epic, which is what I used to play way back in the day when I was actually an active tabletop player. I can never quite shake the feeling that 8mm-ish scale is the proper scale for Warhammer.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what else he could try?

Well, I guess I could give my two cents. Sorry in advance for the rambling:
I'm not entirely sure who/what the main market is for commission painters. I would guess the biggest segment is private individuals who want well painted miniatures/armies to use in their own private games.
Another significant segment would be people like me, who futz about with selling 3d print models or minis on a mosly hobby level. Getting someone to paint up a couple of miniatures from the catalogue would be great, as they make vital promo material.
The real pros probably handle painting in-house, or via special, long-standing arrangements with select painters. So that's not a viable market.

Anyway, first step would be to specialize your service to the needs of one of the above segments. Realistically, your friend might be best served to offer army deals, where the bar is slightly lower when it comes to the quality of the paint job. Or maybe focus on some very niche style of painting, like working exclusively with one certain space marine chapter, or making faux-bronzed statue paint jobs.
Like Schroeds said earlier, the expectations are probably a little skewed. The competition is seemingly super tough, though I think this might be a bit of a mirage. There are plenty of insanely good painters offering their services, and their prices often aren't really that steep. But it seems the demand far outweighs the supply, so the good painters have a really long waiting list. A lot of potential customers can't handle the waiting, and would thus settle for less from another supplier (if only they could find one!).

Speaking as a (theoretically) potential customer, what I would like from your friend is upfront, no-nonsense info about what he offers and what the customer can expect. I you are a good, not great, painter, don't try to obfuscate this. One of the reason potential customers have unrealistic expectations (I suspect) is because suppliers all tend to try and compete at the top level instead of just saying "I don't offer services at that level. I offer services at this other, lower level". At the moment I think said lower level isn't quite established as a viable segment in people's minds, even though the demand might be there. Clearly branding yourself as a low-level painter might actually be a good move, as there aren't many (visible) competitors in that segment.
I've always found being active on hobby forums for the sake of promoting your services to be slightly precarious, so I've hitherto not bothered. I'm sure you can do it, but you have to be measured. Sounds like your friend overstepped the boundaries. If I were ever to start posting on DakkaDakka, CMON et cetera I'd probably check with the moderators in advance, and then just be 100 percent upfront with other forum members about why I'm there (to peddle wares) instead of pretending to be there for the social interaction. I think some forums have dedicated peddler's corner subforums specifically for that purpose.

If I were to hire someone to paint my minis, I would probably look for someone in my local area. It makes communication and transfer of the miniatures so much easier. So your friend might benefit from making connections locally. Besides that, building awareness of you services is a long-term engagement. Open a couple of social media accounts (Instagram, Facebook, Tik Tok etc) and post consistently and economically (I.e don't put too much effort into your posts, and don't engage too much with other users). Building up a sizeable following takes time, even if you happen to be really good at what you do (and most of us aren't). I've been posting fairly regularly on Instagram for close to a year now, and I'm still not up to more than 400 or so followers.
Set up shop on whatever platforms allows you to offer your services (Fiverr and whatnot- I don't really know what platforms are around.). You might want to cast a wide net in this regard- don't just offer commission painting, but also paint minis unsolicited and offer the painted minis for sale on E-bay and so on.

Working on photographic skill is another important factor. The obvious reason is that you want to present your paint jobs in as favourable a light as possible (super important). But another reason is that customers that are in the market for a painter might not just want a painted miniature, but also a good set of pictures of the minis. I know I would - I absolutely suck at both painting and photography. If I were to hire someone to paint one of my designs, I would ask that person "hey, could you also take a couple of nice promo shots of the mini? Few extra bucks in it for you". Seeing as I would mainly be after a nice couple of photos to promote my material on my digital platforms and social media accounts & whatnot.

Last edited:

Is there a local game shop he can advertise with? May be a good way to get a start and get some comissions.

Thanks man!

I'm loving things in the 31st Millenium, there's so much great lore here, but it's almost too much awesomeness knowing there's so much more beyond. That book sounds like a great bridge from the HH.

I have the Eisenhorn trilogy and a few called Gaunt's Ghosts or something, they are supposed to be stellar, which are 40k based. Should I get your suggested book first?

Eisenhorn is definitely Dans superior writing compared to gaunts ghosts. Both are great in their own way though. GG is like reading an action movie, while the eisenhorn series is like reading a prime HBO drama like the Wire or Oz. Loads more depth to the storyline.

I’ve been agonizing over my wife’s first 40k read as she’s very interested in the fluff. Just pulled the trigger on ordering a copy of the Eisenhorn omnibus for her. Strongly recommend to people who don’t even have any interest in 40k. Also, shopping for a paperback made me regret giving away my first print hardcover years ago. The things are like 250$+ used now!

Excellent work! If I’m ever able to start collecting battle fleet models again I’m definitely hiring a pro to paint them.

Quality work takes time and is worth money. But it’s worth it! My friend growing up who got me into the hobby was an amazing miniature painter who worked commissions from local hobby shops. At one point he interviewed for a GW paint crew gig in Baltimore. That was a fun trip!

Well, I guess I could give my two cents. Sorry in advance for the rambling:
I'm not entirely sure who/what the main market is for commission painters. I would guess the biggest segment is private individuals who want well painted miniatures/armies to use in their own private games.
Another significant segment would be people like me, who futz about with selling 3d print models or minis on a mosly hobby level. Getting someone to paint up a couple of miniatures from the catalogue would be great, as they make vital promo material.
The real pros probably handle painting in-house, or via special, long-standing arrangements with select painters. So that's not a viable market.

Anyway, first step would be to specialize your service to the needs of one of the above segments. Realistically, your friend might be best served to offer army deals, where the bar is slightly lower when it comes to the quality of the paint job. Or maybe focus on some very niche style of painting, like working exclusively with one certain space marine chapter, or making faux-bronzed statue paint jobs.
Like Schroeds said earlier, the expectations are probably a little skewed. The competition is seemingly super tough, though I think this might be a bit of a mirage. There are plenty of insanely good painters offering their services, and their prices often aren't really that steep. But it seems the demand far outweighs the supply, so the good painters have a really long waiting list. A lot of potential customers can't handle the waiting, and would thus settle for less from another supplier (if only they could find one!).

Speaking as a (theoretically) potential customer, what I would like from your friend is upfront, no-nonsense info about what he offers and what the customer can expect. I you are a good, not great, painter, don't try to obfuscate this. One of the reason potential customers have unrealistic expectations (I suspect) is because suppliers all tend to try and compete at the top level instead of just saying "I don't offer services at that level. I offer services at this other, lower level". At the moment I think said lower level isn't quite established as a viable segment in people's minds, even though the demand might be there. Clearly branding yourself as a low-level painter might actually be a good move, as there aren't many (visible) competitors in that segment.
I've always found being active on hobby forums for the sake of promoting your services to be slightly precarious, so I've hitherto not bothered. I'm sure you can do it, but you have to be measured. Sounds like your friend overstepped the boundaries. If I were ever to start posting on DakkaDakka, CMON et cetera I'd probably check with the moderators in advance, and then just be 100 percent upfront with other forum members about why I'm there (to peddle wares) instead of pretending to be there for the social interaction. I think some forums have dedicated peddler's corner subforums specifically for that purpose.

If I were to hire someone to paint my minis, I would probably look for someone in my local area. It makes communication and transfer of the miniatures so much easier. So your friend might benefit from making connections locally. Besides that, building awareness of you services is a long-term engagement. Open a couple of social media accounts (Instagram, Facebook, Tik Tok etc) and post consistently and economically (I.e don't put too much effort into your posts, and don't engage too much with other users). Building up a sizeable following takes time, even if you happen to be really good at what you do (and most of us aren't). I've been posting fairly regularly on Instagram for close to a year now, and I'm still not up to more than 400 or so followers.
Set up shop on whatever platforms allows you to offer your services (Fiverr and whatnot- I don't really know what platforms are around.). You might want to cast a wide net in this regard- don't just offer commission painting, but also paint minis unsolicited and offer the painted minis for sale on E-bay and so on.

Working on photographic skill is another important factor. The obvious reason is that you want to present your paint jobs in as favourable a light as possible (super important). But another reason is that customers that are in the market for a painter might not just want a painted miniature, but also a good set of pictures of the minis. I know I would - I absolutely suck at both painting and photography. If I were to hire someone to paint one of my designs, I would ask that person "hey, could you also take a couple of nice promo shots of the mini? Few extra bucks in it for you". Seeing as I would mainly be after a nice couple of photos to promote my material on my digital platforms and social media accounts & whatnot.

Very well put!! We used to play games that used literally hundreds of models and that amount of paint time is absurd for most. If I could pay a decent rate for a “good” uniform paint scheme for a full army, I’d be interested as a customer, for sure. Man, I miss gaming!

Last day for the fest [LINK]. Big news was new edition of AoS. Showed off some new Sigmarines. They look fine, but it's basically just the same designs with different weapons plus a special character. Pretty hard to get excited about it. Overall, definitely closed out the week on a whimper.
cM2aaYWiSOVOq9bJ.jpg

56dLs38YW3tXSm3F.jpg

lZQ6lr7KTW15Xipl.jpg

I'm guessing a lot of people it might actually be more the rank and file stuff they want done by someone else to a decent standard so they can spend their time on more showpiece models?

Coming from selling my own photography one suggestion I might make is start off selling pre painted stuff, that way customers get to see exactly what they are getting from you beforehand then potentially you could move onto commissions after they've seen your work?

I'v sometimes found things go that way, someone buys one of my existing landscape shots and then I end up getting a comission for something specific, say shooting their garden or a dog at a certain location.

Eisenhorn is definitely Dans superior writing compared to gaunts ghosts. Both are great in their own way though. GG is like reading an action movie, while the eisenhorn series is like reading a prime HBO drama like the Wire or Oz. Loads more depth to the storyline.

I’ve been agonizing over my wife’s first 40k read as she’s very interested in the fluff. Just pulled the trigger on ordering a copy of the Eisenhorn omnibus for her. Strongly recommend to people who don’t even have any interest in 40k. Also, shopping for a paperback made me regret giving away my first print hardcover years ago. The things are like 250$+ used now!

Thanks man!

I'm dying to get into 40k stuff, once I wrap up the HH/Siege of Terra books. I just finished Angel's Caliban, it's all so damn great for the most part.

It looks like things are full steam ahead for the Eisenhorn tv series, with GW planning better games and Abnett planning something big?

I'm really looking forward to the new FPS called Necromunda Hired Gun. I had just watched a couple of lore videos on Hive cities and Necromunda especially, so this trailer was a timely surprise.

I was confusing that with the other 40k game (Darktide) coming soon, so now we're getting two possibly solid 40k games shortly

These guys made Space Hulk Deathwing. It was buggy mess at launch and even the definitive edition was still a repetitive let down, but they nailed the aesthetics. Hopefully this one kicks ass

Back