What are you currently playing v4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought about checking this out on PC. What’s the appeal though? Just cruising around, ogling the scenery?

I can understand it being incredible for a full flight setup but for an average gamer is there more to it than that?

Yea this is how I feel. I don't really understand what people like about it. I remember as a kid I played it once for about 20 mins tops and never touched it again.

Thought about checking this out on PC. What’s the appeal though? Just cruising around, ogling the scenery?

I can understand it being incredible for a full flight setup but for an average gamer is there more to it than that?

Yeah pretty much. Visiting my parents this week was practically the only reason I downloaded it (Game Pass bless) for both the nostalgia aspect of it with my Dad as well as the “look, isn’t this neat” aspect of it with him as we cruise over their neighborhood. Other than that the gameplay is lacking, but as a sim it’s probably great.

Yeah thats pretty much it. You can learn the interior layouts of the different aircraft too and the whole flight procedures if you're into that.

Yeah pretty much. Visiting my parents this week was practically the only reason I downloaded it (Game Pass bless) for both the nostalgia aspect of it with my Dad as well as the “look, isn’t this neat” aspect of it with him as we cruise over their neighborhood. Other than that the gameplay is lacking, but as a sim it’s probably great.
Yeah thats pretty much it. You can learn the interior layouts of the different aircraft too and the whole flight procedures if you're into that.
Thanks, yeah that’s what I figured. It just seems to be getting gushed about so I wasn’t really sure if I was missing something. Huge download but it might worth it to check out for a little while.

Anybody play The Ascent yet? It's getting some glowing reviews, aside from Gamespot. Looks good, but I'm curious if the combat is a pure twin stick shooter type, or if it's some weird hybrid, where you need a third thumb to deal with it's more intricate controls.

Anybody play The Ascent yet? It's getting some glowing reviews, aside from Gamespot. Looks good, but I'm curious if the combat is a pure twin stick shooter type, or if it's some weird hybrid, where you need a third thumb to deal with it's more intricate controls.

I downloaded it but haven’t had a chance to play it yet. I’m hoping to maybe put in half an hour or so tonight after the kids are in bed tonight but we’ll see. I don’t really have any experience with twin stick shooters to begin with so I’m not really going to be able to compare it to anything else from the genre.

Not really IMO.

If you don't care about all the aircraft / simulation stuff, it's pretty much just Google Maps - The Game.

It's cool, but if you're not in a rush to play it, I'd definitely wait a few weeks for patches.

Very clunky UI, bugs, stuttering (on pc version), broken quests, broken coop etc.

It's Twin-stick with some extras, like ducking behind cover and aiming low/high. Combat is pretty fun.

Playing now on XsX and it’s a lotta fun. Definitely worth the download if you have Gamepass.

The Ascent - Great Cyberpunk twin stick shooter with light RPG elements, definitely best played co-op also.

Reactions: Zer

I'd hazard a guess and say that, even though there is a niche for flight simulators, the series has gained broader appeal due to the pandemic locking everyone in their own countries.

Hollow Knight might be one of the best games Ive ever played. Its one of the few games where it just keeps getting better. City of Tears is damn gorgeous, the aesthetics, the OST, the ambient sounds, the rain. Its damn gorgeous. I love these types of 'Onion' games, where adding new mechanics just completely changes the movement in an environment and how you look at it. Add that with soulslike elements, exploration and you have a masterpiece.

Someone shouldve told me it was this good. The last time I played a game for than 3h in one sitting was TLOU II. I played atleast 4-5h in one sitting, its so engrossing.

Hollow Knight might be one of the best games Ive ever played. Its one of the few games where it just keeps getting better. City of Tears is damn gorgeous, the aesthetics, the OST, the ambient sounds, the rain. Its damn gorgeous. I love these types of 'Onion' games, where adding new mechanics just completely changes the movement in an environment and how you look at it. Add that with soulslike elements, exploration and you have a masterpiece.

Someone shouldve told me it was this good. The last time I played a game for than 3h in one sitting was TLOU II. I played atleast 4-5h in one sitting, its so engrossing.
Top 5 game of all time for me.

Playing through demon's souls right now. I really appreciate how the game wants us to do 1/2 a level then move on and complete another level, etc. I'm about as far as I ever got in the OG and I'm loving it!

Been head bobbing to The Ascent’s dope techno soundtrack all day.. Really enjoying this one.

The Ascent

Looks great. Sounds great. Plays...good. It did crash once on me on the Xbox One S, but played fine for the most part, minus the usual concessions you have to make playing on last gen. I'm sure a few patches will clean it up. Anyways, my only complaints are with some design choices. I think "Twin Stick Shooters" need the KISS(keep it simple stupid) rule to really get the most out of them. This game flirts with some ideas that needlessly complicates things. Mainly the "cover" system, that does not feel natural at all, but given the amount of bullets flying at you in any given encounter, is a necessity to utilize. It adds a bit of strategy to encounters, but isn't ideal for such a frantic game. This game plays best when you're just strafing and jumping around while shooting in all directions, but the nature of the game requires you to take a more methodical approach, and it clashes with its TSS roots. It's not the easiest thing in the world to slow down, and hunker down behind some cover, when bullets are flying everywhere and the enemies are coming at you in all directions. It works(as well as the high/low shooting mechanic), but it just doesn't feel good. I'd much prefer a system where you can see the projectiles, and react accordingly with movement. I appreciate the effort to change things up a bit, but I'd prefer a simpler approach.

It's also a little too wide open for it's own good. For example, the game may give you a side mission that is recommended for Lvl 2 characters, but it leads you down a path that has you taking on enemies that are lvl 10, so you can't get to the mission area until you're leveled up. There's very little direction in how it guides you down the most optimal path for your level. This also extends to general exploration. The levels are wide open, so you may see a path that looks like something you could explore, and then get greeted with a one shot death by enemies that are way out of your league, with nothing warning you beforehand. It's got some trial and error, and my advice would be to stick to the main missions for the first little bit, rather than grind through the side missions to level up for the main missions, which is the most optimal path for these types of games.

Other than those complaints, it's pretty fun, and should feel familiar to anyone accustomed to these types of games. It's more "Dead Nation" than "Diablo", in that it requires more skill rather than gear optimization, but it blends it together really well for the most part. It's got some noticeable scabs in the overall design, but no deal breakers. One thing for sure is that the art and sound design is immaculate, and a pretty good(but flawed) game accompanies it

I'd give it a 7/10 right now, but that could go higher or lower depending on how it flows from here on out.

Top 5 game of all time for me.

Damn a lot of praise for a Metroidvania. I will definitely have to start this after I finish LA Noire. I have it in my backlog. I keep seeing how amazing Hollow Knight is on this board but think it's just hyperbole. But now I'm seeing novel type posts on this title and a "Top 5 game of all time" post. This is piquing my interests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back