What are you playing? v.7 (Paperboy Edition)

Is the shorter 'WAYCP' preferable to longer 'What are you currently playing'?

• Yes

• No

• I don't know, Jeff

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Assassin's Creed: Origins

Had to give it go since it's on Game Pass. "Syndicate" really turned me off, as it just seemed like the same old tired shit, despite being held up as one of the "better" ones in recent memory.

This one...this one's alright. Combat got a bit of a crunchy update, that is a bit of a poor man's "Dark Souls", but hey, it's something fresh and it feels pretty good. You're not just going through the motions(at least initially...). The parkour elements are basically an afterthought, and not much of a gameplay feature. You can pretty much go anywhere, with no designated spots for climbing that you have to be mindful of. If you can see it, you can climb it. Thought it might be a bit harmful to the exploration at first, since you don't have to really think of your paths, but after a bit, I like that I'm not getting stuck in dead zones without specific ledges to grab. It makes sense.

The RPG elements are...fine. Nothing groundbreaking here. It's a loose sort of dungeon crawling system, where you have tons of loot to get and earn, all linked to your experience level that you gradually build up through playing. It works, and again, is a nice little change up for the franchise.

Everything else is...kind of the same. Stealth is the same. Side quests are the same types. The gameplay loop is the same. The sandbox gameplay in general is the same...it just feels better to play, thanks to some much needed refinements to the core gameplay mechanics. That's all I can say right now. It might wear off after a bit, but so far, I'm enjoying this soft reboot of sorts.

Back from vacation and just downloaded AC Origins on gamepass. My favorite AC game after Black Flag. Can't wait.

AC origins was a decent game. It is the only new AC games that I played. Only thing I didn't like was the long fetch type quests. I would set the horse to ride auto from one location to another.

Last edited:
Played a little more DS2. Having a lot of fun so far. They really went all out with ambush squads in this one :)
Well observed. Something interesting about DSII is unlike the original and III, the truer difficulty is in the levels and placement of enemies, not the bosses or (most of the time) enemies themselves.

Well observed. Something interesting about DSII is unlike the original and III, the truer difficulty is in the levels and placement of enemies, not the bosses or (most of the time) enemies themselves.
I noticed that. The last Giant was pretty easy and The Pursuer was an obvious gimmick battle. Most of my deaths have been getting cornered by 5-6 mobs so I've been methodically making my way through.

I noticed that. The last Giant was pretty easy and The Pursuer was an obvious gimmick battle. Most of my deaths have been getting cornered by 5-6 mobs so I've been methodically making my way through.

I assume by calling the pursuer fight as a gimmick you’re referring to the ability to off him with the ballista? You can fight him again later on as an optional boss, toe to toe with no gimmicky way of killing him.

I think I am about to do something silly like buy the new postal game

I assume by calling the pursuer fight as a gimmick you’re referring to the ability to off him with the ballista? You can fight him again later on as an optional boss, toe to toe with no gimmicky way of killing him.
Ah I didn't know that. I just assumed you were supposed to use the ballista since it was there.

Ah I didn't know that. I just assumed you were supposed to use the ballista since it was there.

There’s nothing wrong with using the ballista to kill him, I mean it’s there for a reason, but lots of people will forgo the ballista in subsequent play throughs for an added challenge. It’s not like Yhorm from DS3 who can be killed without the storm ruler if you’ve got the time to spare (as it takes forever) or the Storm King or Dragon God from Demon’s Souls who as far as I know can only be harmed by the gimmick mechanics. Pursuer is just an ordinary boss that you can happen to take out easily if you can line up a shot with the ballista.

Did some Co-op with my Brother last night. Beat the Ruin Sentinals. If I'm not mistaken they move like those Crystal dicks from Elden Ring.

Did some Co-op with my Brother last night. Beat the Ruin Sentinals. If I'm not mistaken they move like those Crystal dicks from Elden Ring.

Yeah, total reskin, though I’d say easier because depending on build the crystal mother fuckers can be a real pain in the ass. I don’t recall the ruin sentinels being particularly vulnerable to or strong against any particular builds.

There’s nothing wrong with using the ballista to kill him, I mean it’s there for a reason, but lots of people will forgo the ballista in subsequent play throughs for an added challenge. It’s not like Yhorm from DS3 who can be killed without the storm ruler if you’ve got the time to spare (as it takes forever) or the Storm King or Dragon God from Demon’s Souls who as far as I know can only be harmed by the gimmick mechanics. Pursuer is just an ordinary boss that you can happen to take out easily if you can line up a shot with the ballista.

I actually found that getting to the ballista and getting a shot off, was harder than just fighting the dude.

Gonna give Control a go this weekend, maybe play a bit of They Are Billions too.

I'm watching some of the trailers from Summer of Gaming, and i'm loving the look of Warhammer 40K Darktide, Witchfire, Routine, Callisto Protocol, No Place for Bravery, ORX, Wanderlost and Anger Foot. The only problem? I don't think any of them are coming to PS apart from Callisto Protocol.

Sad fucking times.

Gonna give Control a go this weekend, maybe play a bit of They Are Billions too.

I'm watching some of the trailers from Summer of Gaming, and i'm loving the look of Warhammer 40K Darktide, Witchfire, Routine, Callisto Protocol, No Place for Bravery, ORX, Wanderlost and Anger Foot. The only problem? I don't think any of them are coming to PS apart from Callisto Protocol.

Sad fucking times.

Control was such a fun game. I loved everything about it. Enjoy! Make sure you get the DLC if you end up liking it.

Jesus Hexxer is really good. I just have a Staff and Pyro Glove using Dark Orb for pulling and Fire for the Gank Squads.
It has a different feel but I'm having a lot of fun so far.

Just started Fallout 1. I've been meaning to play the first two for a long time but the gameplay has always been a hurdle. Haven't played a turn based game in forever and I feel totally lost but it is slowly getting a little addictive.

I had to turn the resolution all the way down to 640x480 to make everything as big as possible just so I can find loot. Everything is so small and objects just blend into the background.

Reactions: hsz
Bought Salt and Sacrifice tonight thanks to updates on play from brothers Leo and H, especially post-patches 1.0.0.6-7. Diving in shortly. Platted first one so let's see what challenges await me this go.

Have you had a chance to play yet? Would love to hear your feedback. And if you ever want to play together that would be a great excuse for me to create a new character lol. I started a second file to play with a friend in the UK but we have difficulty lining our schedules up due to the time difference and real life responsibilities, but we've had a couple sessions so far and its been a lot of fun. The ease of connecting to each other's worlds and lack of latency has really raised my expectations for online play in these types of games going forward.

Just started Fallout 1. I've been meaning to play the first two for a long time but the gameplay has always been a hurdle. Haven't played a turn based game in forever and I feel totally lost but it is slowly getting a little addictive.

I had to turn the resolution all the way down to 640x480 to make everything as big as possible just so I can find loot. Everything is so small and objects just blend into the background.

Its been a long time since I've played Fallout 1 & 2, but I remember unofficial fan patches being necessary to fix certain bugs etc. Assuming you're playing on steam an online post from 2015 clarifies that "If you launch the game from Steam, you will be given a prompt to select Fallout or "Classic" Fallout. Apparently if you select the "classic" version, you will get the game as it existed with the last official Interplay release. So Fallout would be version 1.2, while the "classic" version would be 1.1. Likewise, Fallout II includes the sfall 3.2a fan patch, but the "classic" version does not."

I hope you enjoy the game(s)! They bring back some great memories. Also, there's usually a key you can press to highlight lootable objects on the ground. Try tab or shift.

Last edited:
Its been a long time since I've played Fallout 1 & 2, but I remember unofficial fan patches being necessary to fix certain bugs etc. Assuming you're playing on steam an online post from 2015 clarifies that "If you launch the game from Steam, you will be given a prompt to select Fallout or "Classic" Fallout. Apparently if you select the "classic" version, you will get the game as it existed with the last official Interplay release. So Fallout would be version 1.2, while the "classic" version would be 1.1. Likewise, Fallout II includes the sfall 3.2a fan patch, but the "classic" version does not."

I hope you enjoy the game(s)! They bring back some great memories. Also, there's usually a key you can press to highlight lootable objects on the ground. Try tab or shift.
Yeah I'm playing the steam version so it's 1.2 but I should try classic 1.1 just to see if it's much different. And I read the manual beforehand but forgot most of it as soon as I started playing, lol. There are so many shortcuts, I really need to keep a list handy while playing.

Thanks. It's oddly fun considering it's from 1997, plus the atmosphere and dialogue are pretty good so hopefully I can stick it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back