Crime What did the cops do wrong today. Vol. 2

I don't know, but jumping to conclusions based on edited snippets has proven problematic in the past.

In most cases, yeah, I don't disagree. This case ? Nope.
I don't see any scenario where more footage is needed here if you care about legality and proper procedure.
Nothing that that guy did or said would justify an officer of the law clocking him like that.
That he didn't immediately arrest him after KOing him just further shows he had nothing on him.

In most cases, yeah, I don't disagree. This case ? Nope.
I don't see any scenario where more footage is needed here if you care about legality and proper procedure.
Nothing that that guy did or said would justify an officer of the law clocking him like that.
That he didn't immediately arrest him after KOing him just further shows he had nothing on him.
I agree that it's hard to see a valid reason for it, and on repeated viewing haven't come up with one, but it's like the believe women thing, there should always be an assumption of innocence (or at least an acceptance that it is a possibility) followed by an impartial investigation. I'm just hesitant to accept a 45 second video from someone who calls himself a muckraker as the only evidence required to determine guilt.

I agree that it's hard to see a valid reason for it, and on repeated viewing haven't come up with one, but it's like the believe women thing, there should always be an assumption of innocence (or at least an acceptance that it is a possibility) followed by an impartial investigation. I'm just hesitant to accept a 45 second video from someone who calls himself a muckraker as the only evidence required to determine guilt.

Why should there always be an assumption of innocence only for one party? Assuming that the cop is innocent is assuming that the guy he hit is guilty. I think we just have to look at each situation case by case.

A situation where a cop shoots a guy in the dark in a chaotic scene, or mistakes an item for a gun...yeah, I think it is best to start with the assumption that the cop isn't a bloodthirsty, racist killer. These other situations where you have a cop beating up a guy in handcuffs, or just straight up clocking people has no justification. I'm all for showing the videos in full context. But people also are really quick to justify unjustifiable things because of the "play stupid games, win stupid prizes" mentality.
"He shouldn't of run/He shouldn't of resisted/He shouldn't of ______" quickly turn into justifications for ass beatings and shootings..when a cop doesnt' have the power to beat your ass because you pissed them off or made them run.

The 'believe women' analogy doesn't really work, because a big part of that is based in the imbalance of power that exists between men and women.
It woulnd't make sense to 'believe all cops" because they're in the position of power, and they have motive to not be truthful.

What I'm failing to articulate is that everyone, cop or the guy he punched, a woman or the guy she accused, should be given a day in court before they are found guilty/punished.
I'm not an advocate of "play stupid games" mentality, but there is such a thing as personal responsibility.
I'm not saying believe anybody, I'm saying a fair judgement weighing all the facts should be made.
I, for one, am very disappointed to see so many people jump to the conclusion that agrees with their preconceived notion and ignore any contradictory evidence.
There is no "my truth" and "your truth". There is only THE truth. Everyone involved can be telling the truth and still be wrong.
In any case I'm not saying this particular cop is right, he is probably wrong, but that conclusion is only based on very limited information. Everyone should realize that and act accordingly.
Thanks for the civil conversation. Cheers.

What I'm failing to articulate is that everyone, cop or the guy he punched, a woman or the guy she accused, should be given a day in court before they are found guilty/punished.
I'm not an advocate of "play stupid games" mentality, but there is such a thing as personal responsibility.
I'm not saying believe anybody, I'm saying a fair judgement weighing all the facts should be made.
I, for one, am very disappointed to see so many people jump to the conclusion that agrees with their preconceived notion and ignore any contradictory evidence.
There is no "my truth" and "your truth". There is only THE truth. Everyone involved can be telling the truth and still be wrong.
In any case I'm not saying this particular cop is right, he is probably wrong, but that conclusion is only based on very limited information. Everyone should realize that and act accordingly.
Thanks for the civil conversation. Cheers.
I get where you're coming from, and I generally agree with your overall point there.
<JackieThumbsUp>

Guy handcuffed to stretcher spits at police. Cop socks him in broad daylight in front of cameras, other cops, and EMT.

Guy handcuffed to stretcher spits at police. Cop socks him in broad daylight in front of cameras, other cops, and EMT.

Spitting on a cop is assault...
What he did was wrong
That being said when someone spits on someone else a punch in the face is usually what happens next

Spitting on a cop is assault...
What he did was wrong
That being said when someone spits on someone else a punch in the face is usually what happens next
Yeah, spitting is. Spitting is bad. Punching a restrained person in the face as hard as humanly possible while surrounded by all of your friends is 10000000 times worse.

So let me get this straight. A a police officer who was spit at should run over and punch a person who is smaller than him and who is tied to a gurney in the face as hard as he could because "that's what happens". He's a fucking cop. He is an agent of the fucking government.

And you see no problem with this. And you wonder why people don't trust cops.

Yeah, spitting is. Spitting is bad. Punching a restrained person in the face as hard as humanly possible while surrounded by all of your friends is 10000000 times worse.

So let me get this straight. A a police officer who was spit at should run over and punch a person who is smaller than him and who is tied to a gurney in the face as hard as he could because "that's what happens". He's a fucking cop. He is an agent of the fucking government.

And you see no problem with this. And you wonder why people don't trust cops.
It seems you can't read
I literally said it was wrong

But I can understand the knee jerk reaction...

Save the outrage for a BLM protest

It seems you can't read
I literally said it was wrong

But I can understand the knee jerk reaction...

Save the outrage for a BLM protest
I saw more words about the guy being punched than the 260 lbs cop socking him.

Having zero outrage about shit like this makes you part of the problem. But hey, the guy was "wrong".

Having zero outrage about shit like this makes you part of the problem. But hey, the guy was "wrong".
Spoken like a person who's never been in a fight or ever thrown a punch

spitting is battery, especially with covid floating around but in no way is striking a handcuffed person appropriate and I would not be upset with charges incoming. If he wasn’t handcuffed and was in the officer’s face, I wouldn’t have much issue with it. I never punched anyone in the face when I was an officer. I punched one guy in the ribs that was supposed to be armed with a weapon and had just committed a robbery, but that was it. Slap a damn spit mask on him and charge him with battery on an officer.

Meh. Spit on me and I take your fucking head off. Having said that I'm not a cop.

Back