What is the single most powerful strike

I can't decide, spinning shit does generate a lot of power however there's only a small point of contact and it could be blocked by a glove. The roundhouse thrown at full power connecting with the whole shin will go through the glove. Also the sidekick can generate a lot of power and is worth mentioning.

Roundhouse
Agreed.

I was going to say a left hook to the liver but it doesn't affect everyone.
If you have held pads you would know it's the roundhouse. Some strikes might be better for knocking someone out. But it depends on the build of the person who throws the strike as well.
I don't think the roundhouse is more powerful than a turning side kick done right. Something like this:

The Do Mawashi or as it’s called in the west “rolling thunder” is my pick for the single most devastating strike

It is devastating but you are not bleeding. Former "kyokushin karateka", Alex Filip, produced the most insane rolling thunder kick lately in kickboxing that completely KOd Roman Palamar. It happened in SUPERKOMBAT in Romania a few years ago. It looked indeed like a "mawashi".

But a jumping, flying knee can devastate you for example bleeding on your nose. The feeling is terrible, especially if you also have a broken nose. Or if the bone is affected.

Last edited:
Bogdan Stoica landing 2 jumping knees in a fight, probably the most known fighter in flying knees, known as the "The Flying Knee". It is bad that you end up more than likely with nasal hemorrhage, so certainly is the most powerful strike. It can leave you unconscious.

We saw Badr losing to Benny and Benny losing to Jamal because of damaged noses from punching. Now imagine a bigger bone under no gloves hitting your nose!

source.gif

Some more, another Dutch opponent caught (unfortunately, not for blood in sports):

source.gif

Jumping out of the ring against some Muay Thai world champ:

giphy.gif

Last edited:
I don't think the roundhouse is more powerful than a turning side kick done right. Something like this:

It's a linear strike so you have to take in account the "shoving" effect which I think is different from power. You can certainly generate a lot of force with those and they are at least higher percentage than a lot of the other things being thrown around in here for sensationalism.

Still going roundhouse any day all day for power.

Bogdan Stoica landing 2 jumping knees in a fight, probably the most known fighter in flying knees, known as the "The Flying Knee". It is bad that you end up more than likely with nasal hemorrhage, so certainly is the most powerful strike. It can leave you unconscious.

We saw Badr losing to Benny and Benny losing to Jamal because of damaged noses from punching. Now imagine a bigger bone under no gloves hitting your nose!

source.gif

Some more, another Dutch opponent caught (unfortunately, not for blood in sports):

source.gif

giphy.gif
The flying knee is dangerous because of its point of impact, which is the chin. It doesn't generate more power than the roundhouse kick. If you lift your chin high enough for me to hit to clean with a roundhouse kick, that would be even more devastating than a flying knee.
Spinning heel kick
Weak as fuck compared to a roundhouse kick. Not even close.

It's a linear strike so you have to take in account the "shoving" effect which I think is different from power. You can certainly generate a lot of force with those and they are at least higher percentage than a lot of the other things being thrown around in here for sensationalism.

Still going roundhouse any day all day for power.
I get what you're saying but even if we disregard the shoving effect, the turning side kick should be more powerful. The roundhouse kick only has torque, the turning side kick has both torque and linear force.

The flying knee is dangerous because of its point of impact, which is the chin. It doesn't generate more power than the roundhouse kick. If you lift your chin high enough for me to hit to clean with a roundhouse kick, that would be even more devastating than a flying knee.

Weak as fuck compared to a roundhouse kick. Not even close.

But does it ever happen? Because we see jumping knees not only on the chin, but even in the nose or eyes. In terms of power you are probably right, even though we did not measure. You should also make a comparison even between a knee and a foot.

source.gif

source.gif

giphy.gif

Actually a flying knee isn't even close to the most powerful strike. It's deadly but not powerful so to speak.

If you've ever held pads and trained knees or flying knees you'd understand that the reason they hurt is because of a few things...

1 - Most of the time a fighter is actually ducking towards them which increases the force so it's not the knee doing 100% of the damage, it's the combo.
2 - The nose is incredibly fragile and any upwards motion from a knee or uppercut can easily injure/break it. In fact in the old days a lot of people wondered if it was safe to uppercut in boxing because if the angle was right it could force your nose to be broken in the direction of your brain.

A flying knee works and does damage because of these things, and while they're deadly they're not "powerful" in the sense that power is defined as strength + speed. A flying is more speed + knee structure + accuracy, it was little to do with power.

This isn't my opinion, this is actual fact from a sport's science standpoint. If you still disagree go to the gym, hold a single hand pad up at a decent height and ask someone to flying knee it, don't move the pad towards them as you just want to test the force of the knee traveling. It won't actually be as hard as you think. Then hold the same hand pad sideways (maybe wear 2 to be safe) and ask someone to kick it with their shin. You will realize the difference in power between the two actions is miles apart.

Legal, I agree with the flying knee. Banned, has to be the 12 to 6 elbow of death.

Sorry, those Badr matches were spinning back kicks to the head. One he won against Leko (the rematch), and in the first match with Graham he was KOed.

Actually a flying knee isn't even close to the most powerful strike. It's deadly but not powerful so to speak.

If you've ever held pads and trained knees or flying knees you'd understand that the reason they hurt is because of a few things...

1 - Most of the time a fighter is actually ducking towards them which increases the force so it's not the knee doing 100% of the damage, it's the combo.
2 - The nose is incredibly fragile and any upwards motion from a knee or uppercut can easily injure/break it. In fact in the old days a lot of people wondered if it was safe to uppercut in boxing because if the angle was right it could force your nose to be broken in the direction of your brain.

A flying knee works and does damage because of these things, and while they're deadly they're not "powerful" in the sense that power is defined as strength + speed. A flying is more speed + knee structure + accuracy, it was little to do with power.

This isn't my opinion, this is actual fact from a sport's science standpoint. If you still disagree go to the gym, hold a single hand pad up at a decent height and ask someone to flying knee it, don't move the pad towards them as you just want to test the force of the knee traveling. It won't actually be as hard as you think. Then hold the same hand pad sideways (maybe wear 2 to be safe) and ask someone to kick it with their shin. You will realize the difference in power between the two actions is miles apart.

I am not good with my kicks, but I will execute this in my garage this spring. I think I am still at the level of improving my shin condition.

Last edited:

Hold out your hand instead of holding out a pad and compare a full force spinning heel kick to a full force roundhouse kick. Spinning heel kick hits harder.

Hold out your hand instead of holding out a pad and compare a full force spinning heel kick to a full force roundhouse kick. Spinning heel kick hits harder.
Maybe because you are using your hand to make a pin point target for a strike that is focused on a small area. Now try blocking both with two forearms and tell me which one has more power coming through.

If you still disagree go to the gym, hold a single hand pad up at a decent height and ask someone to flying knee it, don't move the pad towards them as you just want to test the force of the knee traveling. It won't actually be as hard as you think.
Exactly. Flying knees almost feel like nothing on the pads, unless it's the clinch variety to the body. I don't think many of the people commenting in here has done a significant amount of training. Still sure as hell don't want to be hit by one though, but its no where near a roundhouse.

Exactly. Flying knees almost feel like nothing on the pads, unless it's the clinch variety to the body. I don't think many of the people commenting in here has done a significant amount of training. Still sure as hell don't want to be hit by one though, but its no where near a roundhouse.
And a roundhouse is nowhere near a spinning heel kick, thrown correctly.

Sorry, those Badr matches were spinning back kicks to the head. One he won against Leko (the rematch), and in the first match with Graham he was KOed.

Spinning back kick and rolling thunder are different, right? Because I think actually Graham over Badr had a rolling thunder. And Badr over Leko in the rematch had a spinning back kick to the head.

Back