When Merab tried to takedown a 35 yr old Aldo

LMFAO, most, if not ALL of the Top 10 would get smoked by Frankie, Mendes, Aldo, and KZ in their Prime. You think Calvin Kattar could bang with a Prime Chad Mendes or Prime Frankie? You think Chad Mendes wouldn’t rag doll Evloev? You think Mendes couldn’t do what Frankie did to Yair?

Respectfully, You’re full of yourself.
you're responding to a dumb ass troll, no need to be respectful.

I can't speak to Usman, but Jones has a takedown defense of 95%. Cormier went 1/11 against him, Glover was 0/5, Gus was 1/8, Rashad was 0/4...

It's true that most of his opponents were never in a position to try more than 1 or 2 takedowns against Jones, but the ones that did failed miserably. I think he's been taken down twice over the past 16 years, resulting a total of 1:53 control time for his opponents (out of probably five hours or more of total cage time).

I know I keep editing this post to add more and more, but for comparison, Henry Cejudo, an Olympic gold medal wrestler, was controlled for over twice as long in his last FIGHT as Jones has spent on the bottom throughout his whole CAREER.
I've seen Jones' entire career. He had great TDD himself but most of the attempts against him were desperation attempts or half-assed attempts for the purpose of trying to get him to drop his hands. Aldo's TDD was a lot more tested.

It’s still nothing compared to the skill and competition of the guys today. The game has evolved
It is all subjective. GOAT does not mean the best. It means he was the most dominant relative to its era.

If we go for skills, Max and Volk are ahead of Aldo.

Aldo has the GOAT takedown defense.

Even when he gassed he was a son of a bitch to take down.
Yeah. He has always been in his own league when it comes to TDD.

Aldo had the undisputed GOAT takedown defense. And did it while being spammed with takedown attempts in 90% of his fights.

I'm seeing lists that have Usman or Jones at #1. When did they ever have to defend except maybe a couple of times? lol
91% Takedown defense in the WEC/UFC according to fight metric. That shit is insane.

The lighter divisions are the best divisions where past competition would hold up successfully against modern competition. They are by far the closest in skillset throughout their existence.

HW is weaker now than it was in 2004-2007 or 2010 to 2015. And we could have an interesting debate which of those timeframes where better, but they are clearly stronger than the current HW division. FW in the WEC/UFC, however, any of the champions from Faber on--in their prime-- would be top five today.

Conor is only in greatest talks when it comes to self-promotion and marketability, not actual fighting.
lmao i get it todays connor is a clown

have u seen prime conor?
you cant be a superstar if you cant back up your claims
like conor did

Aldo had some of the best td defense ever
Novo Uniao camp generally had absurdly good takedown defense. Renan Barao was taken down even less than Aldo and I’d say he has the best TDD ever. TJ couldn’t even get him after brutalizing him for 9 rounds.

We both have our opinions and I think Aldo is a legend but fighters today are much better than 10-12 years ago. All those guys would even be considered modern day bantamweights.

Past his prime or not Aldo lost to Volk, Max twice and Conor. He doesn’t have a win over either to solidify him as a better fighter than those guys. He also had a war with Mendes that could’ve went either way. Mendes. Frankie were great fighters but there is zero reason to think Volk and max wouldn’t beat them or all the guys Aldo beat and have the same records if they were around then.

I think beating long term champ Max 3 times is greater than Aldo beating simply contenders like Mendes even Frankie
theres this thing we called prime
and lol at max
have you seen a prime frankie edgar who fought fighters that are very well rounded?
he was a small lw but fought fighters that mixes their wrestling and striking very well

those grueling and brutal wrestlers that are really good strikers that he faced

LMFAO, most, if not ALL of the Top 10 would get smoked by Frankie, Mendes, Aldo, and KZ in their Prime. You think Calvin Kattar could bang with a Prime Chad Mendes or Prime Frankie? You think Chad Mendes wouldn’t rag doll Evloev? You think Mendes couldn’t do what Frankie did to Yair?

Respectfully, You’re full of yourself.
So 3 of his wins, 2 of which volk also has, theoretically still being elite today, means that guys like hominick, Florian, brown, gamburyan, are worth the same as yair, ortega, aldo, tkz?

Aldo fought much weaker competition back then. You don’t think Volk or Max could beat the same guys Aldo beat? Volk and max would have the same streak and title defense record. Beating Hominick, Lamas and guys like Mike Brown lol. The competition matters when you mention streaks and wins. Max and Volk fought much superior competition and even beat Aldo easily

Aldo lost to Max, Volk and Conor who are considered the greatest featherweights ever.

By that logic none of the guys could ever be regarded as a GOAT. You need to judge their opponents based on their era, not based on today.

Also even then Volk vs prime Edgar would be one hell of a matchup.

Kind of legendary for Aldo to go out on that performance, I was more impressed by his TDD than anything else in the fight. I know that doesn't score, but it was the best part of the fight. He just couldn't get space to get offense going.

What a bad fight to take for Aldo. He was riding a 3 fight win streak over 3 ranked opponents and then he takes on this bad style match up. He should have fought for the title or taken a different fight

It’s still nothing compared to the skill and competition of the guys today. The game has evolved
Yes, it has evolved.

With that said- how evolved would the games/skills of Max and Volk be during that era?!
You know they don't have the natural athleticism Aldo has, so you are claiming the gyms they would have been training in at that time would have given them the same skills of their current gyms, but Aldo didnt have access to that same advanced/future skill training?

You realize the game has evolved at times due to the practitioners that the newer generations get to build on- and they both have admittedly built off the great things Aldo did.

So, you're claiming skill for skill in the same era/same career trajectory/age/milage, Volk and Max are simply better than Aldo?

If the competition has gotten so much better that Volk and Max haven't been able to beat Aldo records, doesn't that prove how much of a standout he was in the sport? If Max and Volk are so much better, why are they not standing out for years on end with insane title defenses? Could it be they are great but not in a generational sense?

BTW- I really like all three; all class acts, all warriors and all legends.

Aldo is on par with Fedor and GSP in accomplishments, the only fighter comparable to these two; he was truly special and every fan who has witnessed his career should feel lucky for that.
unfortunately this sport became a circus in order to attract casuals and casuals like more clowns or cheaters that got away with it.

I agree but it’s nothing like the competition today. Featherweight isn’t weak like it was then, it’s stacked. If you don’t think Volk and Max couldn’t beat the same fighters and have the same record against Aldo’s competition you’re crazy, they would wipe the floor with them.
So are we to discount every all-time great because competition naturally gets tougher over time?

What makes you a GOAT is dominating the time you're in, not being able to beat someone from 10 or more years later.

I understand why Merab gets shit for this fight, but it was really the only gameplan he could've implemented to win. I don't see what else he would do to beat Aldo that night.

Back