Opinion Where do you draw the line on gun regulation?

Statistically “assault weapons” (which is a laughable term) are rarely used in crime, so why regulate them anymore than they already are?

When we’re taking about the so called “epidemic” of gun violence and suicides we’re talking about handguns here.

Mass shootings aside, we already know and have a very good treatment for gun violence and that is to punish criminals and have vigilant policing. Unfortunately this is not palatable to liberals, even though the very harsh, conservative approach to crime has won out the argument easily. We’re hitting levels of safety we haven’t seen in forever and yet liberals want to tell us that actually abortions decreased crime (because of all those black babies they killed) LOL among other excuses.

And to be clear, some of these explanations like removing lead from the environment while not the main explanation, have elements of truth to them.

With poor border controls gun control is pointless in the US. Gun control only works if even criminals struggle to get guns and the state is militant in enforcing its will.

It’d be nice if there was wasn’t a surplus of guns out there that are non registered.

Slightly Off topic: hate to say it but I have a unique take on guns. If it was up to me, all guns would be banned and sucked up into the air via giant magnet. Not even criminals in America would have them.

Being 6’ 1” 210lbs with 20 years of BJJ/wrestling/MMA experience.... I’d automatically be in the top 1% dangerous humans in America.

Someone could still stab you or throw a brick at your head

I dont have an issue with bans on particular assualt weapons (semi auto shotguns, automatic rifles, expslosive rounds) But thats where it needs to stop, alot of these politicians pushing for change have never had to deal with criminals attempting to mug you or breaking into your house or car at 3 in the morning.

The gun serves as deterrent in this aspect also.

It’d be nice if there was wasn’t a surplus of guns out there that are non registered.

Slightly Off topic: hate to say it but I have a unique take on guns. If it was up to me, all guns would be banned and sucked up into the air via giant magnet. Not even criminals in America would have them.

Being 6’ 1” 210lbs with 20 years of BJJ/wrestling/MMA experience.... I’d automatically be in the top 1% dangerous humans in America.

A pack of vicious little fuckers armed with bricks, beer bottles, and knives they've pissed on will quickly make you wish they could have just shot you to death :D

If it was up to me, all guns would be banned and sucked up into the air via giant magnet. Not even criminals in America would have them.

So criminals are the LAST people that should have their guns taken away?

Where iyo opinion should the line be drawn on gun ownership? I think everyone agrees that civilians should not be allowed to own nukes. I think most reasonable people would conclude that civilians should not own armed drones. The current debates are around assault weapons. Where do you draw the line on weapon ownership? I'm personally fine with assault weapons.

I think owning a handgun should be harder than owning a shotgun, rifle or an assault weapon. The vast majority of gun violence is committed with handguns because they are much easier to conceal than larger weapons for people seeking to commit crimes. This statistical point gets ignored by Democrats whenever they talk about gun regulation. Biden's solution to gun violence was to propose an assault rifle ban which would probably accomplish nothing. What if any gun regulation would you be in favor of?

I draw the line at fire hazards. You should be allowed to own anything that won't immediately set fire to your neighbor's property if it goes off inadvertantly. So if you own 10,000 miles of montana flatland, you can absolutely own a nuke.

Wanting a gun is a mental illness.

Availability of guns is part of what makes people trash in the first place.

Every dickless dweeb knows he doesn't have to back his mouth up with his fists so he acts the asshole off the power rush.

Having so many guns is what makes USA such a fear based society. It's the same vibe in parts of Africa. You know life is cheap and every person you meet can kill you.
Here is the mentality of a man who grew up in a city and never bothered to visit or befriend someone from the countryside.

Why do you think people need assault weapons?
I'm all for protecting yourself and your property if you go through stringent mental health checks etc, but why do you NEED an AR15?

It's a question I've always had as well, I think Americans really just like guns and that's it, they don't NEED them.

I struggle with guns because they are so complicated. I believe in personal freedom but you can't just have everything. At the same time, I don't think it's the government's right to know everything you have. That's big brother.

I think I would define the "right to bear arms" as handguns, shotguns and rifles. Any gun of that caliber, you are free to own and privately trade without any registration. To me, right to bear arms really should be "right to personal defense" and should be the idea that you are allowed to own guns to protect yourself and your family.

It seems like the big debate in the past 20+ years as been the AR-15. Technically, the AR-15 i just a rifle. It's scary to people because it looks big and scary and has a high capacity cartridge. The argument is why do you need an AR-15? Why do you need a PS5? Why do you need your nails done? Why do you need a car that goes over the speed limit? etc. etc. It's a bad argument. That said, you can do a lot of damage with AR-15s and if we find that they are being used in more than 50% of mass shootings, you unfortunately do probably need to regulate that.

So perhaps you regulate ownership of guns that hold high capacity carts. Maybe you *do* register those type of guns. Maybe for those type of guns or higher caliber guns, you have to get a license and certification.

The big issue for me is that the genie is out of the bottle. Even if you banned all guns, guns still exist. We are not the world. They are still being made, the patents exists and they'll be made in other countries. People that want guns will get guns. If you became really strict and put people away for 10 years for gun possession, people will simply turn to knives and other weapons. You'll fix mass shootings but now you'll have a knife epidemic on your hands.

The reality is the people that own guns are not the people doing these mass shootings. It's mentally ill people getting their hands on guns. The better idea is trying to find ways on how to made it harder for those type of people to get guns.

Every person who is not a felon should be able to carry a gun..
The National Guard should represent the people and should be better equipped than the military..

I struggle with guns because they are so complicated. I believe in personal freedom but you can't just have everything. At the same time, I don't think it's the government's right to know everything you have. That's big brother.

I think I would define the "right to bear arms" as handguns, shotguns and rifles. Any gun of that caliber, you are free to own and privately trade without any registration. To me, right to bear arms really should be "right to personal defense" and should be the idea that you are allowed to own guns to protect yourself and your family.

It seems like the big debate in the past 20+ years as been the AR-15. Technically, the AR-15 i just a rifle. It's scary to people because it looks big and scary and has a high capacity cartridge. The argument is why do you need an AR-15? Why do you need a PS5? Why do you need your nails done? Why do you need a car that goes over the speed limit? etc. etc. It's a bad argument. That said, you can do a lot of damage with AR-15s and if we find that they are being used in more than 50% of mass shootings, you unfortunately do probably need to regulate that.

So perhaps you regulate ownership of guns that hold high capacity carts. Maybe you *do* register those type of guns. Maybe for those type of guns or higher caliber guns, you have to get a license and certification.

The big issue for me is that the genie is out of the bottle. Even if you banned all guns, guns still exist. We are not the world. They are still being made, the patents exists and they'll be made in other countries. People that want guns will get guns. If you became really strict and put people away for 10 years for gun possession, people will simply turn to knives and other weapons. You'll fix mass shootings but now you'll have a knife epidemic on your hands.

The reality is the people that own guns are not the people doing these mass shootings. It's mentally ill people getting their hands on guns. The better idea is trying to find ways on how to made it harder for those type of people to get guns.

Easiest way to stop guns falling into the wrong hands is less guns.

Also have to say a knife epidemic seems much better than a gun epidemic.

Basically just actually implement the things we already have. I do think a few changes are in order.
Background checks for everyone buying a gun.
If your record, spotless or not, can't be found, you don't get a gun.
If you have any history of violent crime, no gun.
The government doesn't get to choose what constitutes a "sadistic" firearm.
Intensify penalty for selling a guns to criminal

Registration and accounting of weapons. Just uniform laws across the land. Too many guns slip from states with loose laws to states with tight laws. It might take a few years or so but eventually it slows down the pipeline. Nothing against legal gun ownership.

Which will only be relevant in 1 on 1 situations.

You can take the toughest guy in prison able to beat anyone 1 on 1 and he's going to get fucked up when they send 3 or 4 guys at him at once.

Wanting a gun is a mental illness.

Availability of guns is part of what makes people trash in the first place.

Every dickless dweeb knows he doesn't have to back his mouth up with his fists so he acts the asshole off the power rush.

Having so many guns is what makes USA such a fear based society. It's the same vibe in parts of Africa. You know life is cheap and every person you meet can kill you.
It's true. "An armed society is a polite society." has never in all of history been a true statement.

Back