WMMA Discussion #28

Status
Not open for further replies.

First set of wmma fights on the ONE Lumpinee Friday Fight cards. Aleksandra Savicheva vs Zeba Bano & Chihiro Sawada vs Sanaz Fayazmanesh. The atmosphere for these shows has been incredible so far.

I've only seen Russian kickboxer Savicheva fight bad opponents, but she looks good and does what she's supposed to do in those type of fights (smash). She is big and jabs, and jabs to the body ... so I like her. I think Bano is just a bad opponent, good for a debut showcase.

Sawada is tiny for ONE's division, but she's an actual good wrestler with some ideas about footwork... so she might be able to get by being undersized. Her opponent seems like just a spazzy brawler in her mt fights, this one is probably also just a showcase fight for Sawada.

------------------------------------------

I think that ONE finally signed Phetjeeja to their mt division. If so, I assume she'll debut on these weekly Thai cards. She's a lot of fun, and already has wins over a few girls on ONE's roster.

New Sponsor, new gym, hashtag #ONEChampionship

Wiki has her kb/mt record at 209-15-3 (all but two of these losses are to boys before she was 14). Then she's 5-0 as a pro in boxing, and probably has another 40-60 amateur boxing fights at AIBA events. She's 21.

Lol same here.
Reed looked quite good in round one. Hit hard and like you say dominated on the ground. I wondered if she was showboating too much but it’s tough to say. Fighters do their own thing. Maybe that gets her psyched up. To Reed’s credit she was entertaining. But she was bleeding hard from the nose.
Loma really took it to her in round two. Showed her strength and improved grappling in locking in that rear naked choke.
After the fight Loma said her main goal was to inflict damage and go for the kill. That she did.
I feel like we watched a different 1st round Loma beat her up on the feet and unfortunately went for a bad TD that got reversed. The rest was lay and pray, while Loma didn't try and get up. Reed stole the round with good timed reversal and stalling but it didn't look like she was the better fighter for a second.

I feel like we watched a different 1st round Loma beat her up on the feet and unfortunately went for a bad TD that got reversed. The rest was lay and pray, while Loma didn't try and get up. Reed stole the round with good timed reversal and stalling but it didn't look like she was the better fighter for a second.
I'm gonna be that person and say you're both right - Elise was quicker and fought from a longer range which Loma had trouble with. It didn't stop Loma from punting Elise's leg and breaking her nose on a slip right though :)
Loma mentioned that she doesn't like BJJ but does it bc that's what MMA requires. I'd say that Loma is taking to BJJ very quickly bc of her understanding of balance. in this fight and in the Gomes fight there's a couple of subtle instances where Loma adjusts her hips/weight during the scramble and comes out on top :D
WAR ADCC LOMA!!!!

Last edited:

Should be interesting. People crap on Blencowe, but she’s improved a lot, and McMann will be fighting up a division for the first time.

Is this really the best they could find? Flyweight is pretty deep and this looks as bad as the first crop of LW feed to Kayla.
Probably. It’s Europe, so they’re restricted in area, and there are already plenty of fighters already signed elsewhere, like Bellator (two flyweight bouts next weekend) or Ares.

Should be interesting. People crap on Blencowe, but she’s improved a lot, and McMann will be fighting up a division for the first time.

Probably. It’s Europe, so they’re restricted in area, and there are already plenty of fighters already signed elsewhere, like Bellator (two flyweight bouts next weekend) or Ares.

People seem to forget that Blencowe isn’t the typical female featherweight. She went to a decision with Cris Cyborg of all people in a classic banger (I should know since I saw the fight live in person) and Cyborg’s opponents very rarely get past the first round let alone last all five rounds. This will be a tough test for McMann in her first featherweight fight.

People seem to forget that Blencowe isn’t the typical female featherweight. She went to a decision with Cris Cyborg of all people in a classic banger (I should know since I saw the fight live in person) and Cyborg’s opponents very rarely get past the first round let alone last all five rounds. This will be a tough test for McMann in her first featherweight fight.
I don't know about this McMann isn't going to accommodate blencowe stand and bang style. In a wrestler vs striker fight more often than not the wrestler makes it one sided and boring. Also as the "I hate fights booked at 145" crowd here will tell you fighters moving up from 135 usually look better than career 145ers. Also a McMann win is really needed to get cyborg a contender who will fight her.

Ali seems sleazy but he does good by his fighters. 10 fights was definitely a bad deal contracts almost never go down in value during your prime.

Friday February 17, 2023

[MUAY THAI/MMA] ONE Lumpinee/Friday Fights 5 Bangkok, Thailand
Main Card – YouTube – 7:30am ET / 4:30am PT
Ploymuangjan Smile Muaythai vs. Iony Lawrence
Aleksandra Savicheva vs. Zeba Bano – MMA
Hannah Brady vs. Claire Rankine
Chihiro Sawada vs. Sanaz Fayazmanesh – MMA

Saturday February 18

[MMA] DEEP JEWELS 40 Shinjuku,Tokyo,Japan
Main Card – iPPV (SPWN) – 4:30am ET / 1:30am PT
Namiko Kawabata vs. Machi Fukuda
Hikaru Aono vs. Kate Oyama