Social WR Lounge v.309: My Soul Is Prepared. How's Yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the last few weeks we have been eating all of our deep freezer food and reserves because we had unexpected expenses.

Now a hurricane is supposed to touch down and traditionally nova scotia power sucks ass in storms and we may have days or a week without power.

In hindsight emptying most of that deep freezer was lucky as fuck lol. I let the ice layer build up so it should still keep stuff good for a few days, and I can use my BBQ and my camping butane stovetop to use the rest before moving to my non perishables lol.

After Juan 2003 we went 2 weeks with no power. I had just bought like $200 worth of groceries and lost it all back then.
I call it good mojo when something like that happens, with due empathy to your unexpected expenses, mind you.

Lots of advanced warning this time, at least. And yeah, NS Power sucks so much ass, just terrible. Here's hoping you don't have to go without power for too long. NS Power claims they have been learning from previous storms and they are prepared (LOL) so, best of luck.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens chez moi. We have trees on all sides of us and that could be a good thing or a bad thing. At least it may reduce the amount of debris hitting the house. But if trees start falling a power outage may be the least of our worries. Haven't even lived there a year and already might get blown right off the foundation for all we know lol

All I ask is to get supper out of the way tonight before the power goes out.

I call it good mojo when something like that happens, with due empathy to your unexpected expenses, mind you.

Lots of advanced warning this time, at least. And yeah, NS Power sucks so much ass, just terrible. Here's hoping you don't have to go without power for too long. NS Power claims they have been learning from previous storms and they are prepared (LOL) so, best of luck.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens chez moi. We have trees on all sides of us and that could be a good thing or a bad thing. At least it may reduce the amount of debris hitting the house. But if trees start falling a power outage may be the least of our worries. Haven't even lived there a year and already might get blown right off the foundation for all we know lol

All I ask is to get supper out of the way tonight before the power goes out.
Yeah trees are a concern when they haven't dropped leaves yet as they will take more of the brunt. Only 1 tree in my immediate vicinity is a possible faller and it's in my neighbors back yard and not really a big concern to me as it would probably hit his house or just barely brush mine.

Oh hey, lounge getting a little spicy again

i-like-borat.gif

Yeah trees are a concern when they haven't dropped leaves yet as they will take more of the brunt. Only 1 tree in my immediate vicinity is a possible faller and it's in my neighbors back yard and not really a big concern to me as it would probably hit his house or just barely brush mine.
For us it's going to be a really unique experience because we have no idea what it's going to be like in that little house with such a big storm. They say the hurricane-force winds could last all night and well into tomorrow without any let up.

Stay safe Sherbro. Stock up and do what ya gotta do.

A hurricane hitting Canada. WTF
It's not terribly uncommon on the coast here. Half the time downgrades to tropical storm.

But we get our Juan and Dorian hits too. Look up "hurricane Juan halifax" and Google image it. Uprooted huge trees, destroyed boardwalks, ships sank ....

The ships sinking was back when we still pumped sewage into the harbor. When they dredged some ships they were just full of shit. The buildings closest to the water had basements flooded with shit lol

For us it's going to be a really unique experience because we have no idea what it's going to be like in that little house with such a big storm. They say the hurricane-force winds could last all night and well into tomorrow without any let up.
Hopefully no express trip to munchkinland for you... <6>

Not even close, IMHO.
The thing about those threads is they were confined to one issue. This one has had multiple people complaining about separate issues.

The thing about those threads is they were confined to one issue. This one has had multiple people complaining about separate issues.
As long as no one gets banned right before Thanksgiving dinner again. :eek:

<{dayum}>

How delightful:

• Queens County P.E.I.
Strong category-1 hurricane force winds of 100 gusting to 140 km/h at exposed locations except 140 gusting to 160 km/h at the coast with surge of 1.8 to 2.4 m and dangerous waves from 11 to 15 m from Hurricane Fiona are expected.

This warning represents the region within the core of Hurricane / Severe Post-Tropical Fiona. Winds will likely gust to near category-two hurricane threshold, which is 160 km/h in some areas such as eastern Cape Breton and southwest Newfoundland east of the eye. Over PEI and parts of northern Nova Scotia the winds will be much colder and from the northwest and could gust up to 140 or 150 km/h.

Local wind warnings will be issued with some further details and local effects.

These winds could cause significant treefall and result in extended utility outages. Damage to building cladding and roofing material is likely, including structural damage in certain cases. Winds of this strength could cause windows to break and tear off large overhead highway signs. This will result in damage to docks and breakwaters. Significant shoreline erosion and large waves are expected where winds blow onshore. Stay indoors and informed by radio or mobile device for updates on the storm. Beware of wind-blown debris and downed power lines if outdoors. Stay away from the shore - the combination of surge and large waves could result in dangerous rip currents and the risk of being pulled out to sea.
I mean, holy fuck, 11-15 m waves... here?

So the last few weeks we have been eating all of our deep freezer food and reserves because we had unexpected expenses.

Now a hurricane is supposed to touch down and traditionally nova scotia power sucks ass in storms and we may have days or a week without power.

In hindsight emptying most of that deep freezer was lucky as fuck lol. I let the ice layer build up so it should still keep stuff good for a few days, and I can use my BBQ and my camping butane stovetop to use the rest before moving to my non perishables lol.

After Juan 2003 we went 2 weeks with no power. I had just bought like $200 worth of groceries and lost it all back then.
But remember, preppers are crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back