• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Social WR Lounge v.309: My Soul Is Prepared. How's Yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same here, basically. A lot of trees down, luckily no damage I know of, not expecting power back before tomorrow. Otherwise, we're fine.

Thanks for asking.
Not sure when I am getting power back. My father in law down the street has power so we just brought our keurig down and are chilling watching a movie with my kids lol.

I have a propane generator for later. But some areas saying power won't be back till tuesday/Wednesday. Mine says tomorrow night in theory.

But hell, my kids could blow their birthday candles too hard and the power goes out because NS Power sucks. Who knows lol.

We're about as battened down as our humble abode is going to get sans going on the hunt for a bunch of plywood to cover windows--which there is no time to do. The wind will be NW so at least we shouldn't have to worry about anything hitting the patio door in the rear of the house and we'll keep our distance from the front windows.

I could be wrong, but I think being up on a hill and also surrounded by trees the worst of it will sail up and over us, but it could also make for some funky swirly air flow if, say, the empty space of my backyard is low pressure compared with the wind going over the trees, in which case it would suck the wind down into the yard and while I know what that looks like with a snow storm, I think the wind direction will be quite different and it's really anyone's guess how we'll make out. Worst case scenario: the roof blows off and we have to go through insurance for help.

Now that I think about it though, it might be prudent to pack a bug-out bag just on the unlikely chance shit really hits the fan. I've never come close to being in any real trouble from severe weather except when driving and that was totally my bad in those cases. It's tempting to assume this will be more of the same blah blah no big deal other than the power out situation. But 150 kph winds can do serious damage.

But my momma didn't raise no dummy who forgets history. Check this out,

Devastating 1974 storm damaged 1,500 homes and left 33 Cape Breton families homeless

SYDNEY — It was 40 years ago when an unexpected windstorm reached almost hurricane proportions and battered Cape Breton to near historic proportions.

The storm, still talked about to this day, raged across the island for hours on Sunday afternoon, Oct. 20, 1974, damaging 1,500 homes in Sydney alone and leaving 33 families homeless.

A report on the "violent storm" from a Carlton University crisis research team stated it was unquestionably a freak occurrence because the system was expected to pass along the coast rather than hit the island.

In Sydney, as roofs were blown off houses, a state of emergency was declared and the Emergency Measures Organization pressed into service.

And that was "almost reached hurricane proportions". Now, this isn't Cape Breton, or the 1980's, but it's something to aware of.
Hope everything is going well bud.

I just busted a nut to "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald."

Life score: over 9000.

One could say, that’s a @luckyshot

FC2t.gif

Not sure when I am getting power back. My father in law down the street has power so we just brought our keurig down and are chilling watching a movie with my kids lol.

I have a propane generator for later. But some areas saying power won't be back till tuesday/Wednesday. Mine says tomorrow night in theory.

But hell, my kids could blow their birthday candles too hard and the power goes out because NS Power sucks. Who knows lol.
Yeah, coincidentally they were just on CBC saying power could be out there for "multiple days".

Hope everything is going well bud.
Thanks. Clean up will be a bitch. I might have to rent a chainsaw. Trees are down all around and I don't think an ax is going to cut it, as it were. Don't you think, @Lead ?

We're very lucky. The trees all fell away from the structures like they knew they were supposed to.

Yeah, coincidentally they were just on CBC saying power could be out there for "multiple days".

Thanks. Clean up will be a bitch. I might have to rent a chainsaw. Trees are down all around and I don't think an ax is going to cut it, as it were. Don't you think, @Lead ?

We're very lucky. The trees all fell away from the structures like they knew they were supposed to.
My power just came back on.

Keeping the generator set up just in case it drops again. It's gone off and on 3 times so far

*Indefinite

Just messing. I love puns and other wordplay. I almost took @My Spot off ignore for it, but nah.
Well at least you haven't told another poster to commit suicide in awhile. ;)

Well at least you haven't told another poster to commit suicide in awhile. ;)
You have me confused with someone else. I have not done that.

I got carded for suggesting someone go suck a tailpipe once though. I guess that's more or les the same. Gave it up for a bad habit though so don't be scared homie.

How has no one used the term “law and border Republican” yet? I’m trademarking that shit.

Dangerously close to a Rock-ism...

"I'm a Brahma bull snorting, illegal immigrant deporting, law and BORDER son of a bitch! If you smellllllll...."

Dangerously close to a Rock-ism...

"I'm a Brahma bull snorting, illegal immigrant deporting, law and BORDER son of a bitch! If you smellllllll...."

Well there it is

Update: my ax and I got a good workout out today, cleared the trees that fell into the yard--I'll get to the ones in the woods later. Still lots of cleanup to do. Edit: I need to get a saw asap.

It could be days before we get power back but at least some of Charlottetown has been restored and I can go into work, charge everything up, and hopefully make some money.

The BBQ meant hot lunch and supper at least.

Could be a lot worse but here's hoping for power sooner rather than later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back