Ycm sparring 9 (hard)

Holy shit that guy was good. In the first round he was returning after every punch you threw. I noticed he started yelling with his shots so he obviously slowed down when you started to take over.

Kinda of not fair for him to get all that damage off in the first and you not being able to get it all back with a third round

Edit: rewatched it and actually you were controlling the distance and pace from the beginning. He was using a hell of a lot of energy with 3-4 punch combos to get minimal damage in. He did bomb you with quite a lot of overhands but everything else wasn’t very clean. You made your shots count much more

Yeah after he came back with the /2 bodyshots in the first round after my right hand that I caught on my elbow I knew he wasn’t someone I could play with at all. I also was thinking to myself “how long can this guy do this for?” Because the energy he was putting out was massive as u already said, everybody slows down sooner or later though.

I got my shots in the 2nd round, his lip got busted pretty bad at some point from something, so I ain’t too upset bout it only being 2 rounds. I do know I asked my coach to make sure it’s 4 3’s next time because there’s just no way someone can come at me like that for that long and not pay the price later. He told me it’s to get used to that amateur style cuz that’s how guys will come at me which is pretty true so I guess I’m ok with it - just gotta be careful in there. I actually didn’t warm up at all because I always warm up in the first round for sparring (forces me to feel them out) so I wasn’t prepared for that pace off the go lol

You definitely did hurt him with that right hand - shift left hook combo I seen his Head rattle a bit and his feet move. He seems like a warrior though. From the looks of it despite the experience difference you are the better boxer. And he was fighting rather than sparring, so that shows how better you are when you start sparring in a fight instead of fighting.

I was coming for blood in the 2nd for sure so I can’t say I was just sparring - but I went in there expecting some good solid sparring, not quite that pace. Dude is a warrior I hit him with some serious heat and he was still coming back

When you hit him with that shot perfectly in the gut it made a sound like a fastball in a baseball mitt and that's when I saw his body language first signal defeat

So beautiful

Need more head movement my dude. You move your head when you punch and when your opponent punches back, but not in between those two things. Keeping your head and shoulders moving will keep you from getting hit so clean.

Using your footwork more would of been nice to see, but I understand why you choose to square up and not let him bully you seound

Need more head movement my dude. You move your head when you punch and when your opponent punches back, but not in between those two things. Keeping your head and shoulders moving will keep you from getting hit so clean.

Using your footwork more would of been nice to see, but I understand why you choose to square up and not let him bully you seound
Yep I agree, gotta change levels more and give different looks and get a more subtle head movement overall

Thanks for the critique

I don't care what anyone says, brawling with a brawler just because you can doesn't sound like a good strategy, especially when you're the taller and rangier fighter with a deadly cross to boot. That's how Leonard lost to Duran the first time and it's certainly not the way to go if your goal is to go 15-0 as a pro and fight for the WBC belt by 2025.

I stand by the fact you should have kept him at bay with straight punches until he succeeds in closing the distance. Then by all means rough him up until he freezes, step back and repeat. I know you tend to put some aspects of your game on pause in training but the moment you realized it was serious, you should have put everything together and box.

Also, not warming up when you're potentially stepping into enemy territory? Come on man.

And how come I never see a jab to the body from you? Please use that punch more often.

Sorry if I'm sounding too picky. I've actually followed your videos for years and don't want to see Sherdog's greatest hope waste his insane potential.

I don't care what anyone says, brawling with a brawler just because you can doesn't sound like a good strategy, especially when you're the taller and rangier fighter with a deadly cross to boot. That's how Leonard lost to Duran the first time and it's certainly not the way to go if your goal is to go 15-0 as a pro and fight for the WBC belt by 2025.

I stand by the fact you should have kept him at bay with straight punches until he succeeds in closing the distance. Then by all means rough him up until he freezes, step back and repeat. I know you tend to put some aspects of your game on pause in training but the moment you realized it was serious, you should have put everything together and box.

Also, not warming up when you're potentially stepping into enemy territory? Come on man.

And how come I never see a jab to the body from you? Please use that punch more often.

Sorry if I'm sounding too picky. I've actually followed your videos for years and don't want to see Sherdog's greatest hope waste his insane potential.

You make some good points man, and that is overall a better gameplan to maximize my chances of winning in there,

the not warming up thing is only for sparring for me to force myself to feel them out (I don’t typically have guys come at me with full blown aggression right off top, usually it’s always a feeler anyway)

U 100% right about me boxing him tho, it’s just my mindstate be offensive minded to a flaw sometimes, it’s difficult for me to concede ground especially on someone who’s willing to trade with me, but clearly they are willing because that’s what they do and what they are good at.

Could save me a lot of brain cells to work on boxing on my toes again for sure; thanks man

That's how Leonard lost to Duran the first time

Not to derail the thread but no thats not why Leonard lost. That is my nr.1 fight of all time so I might be a little bitchy about it ;) Leonard tried to fight from the outside when his frontal assault got him countered into oblivion but he could get nowhere from the outside with his jab/footwork as Duran did a fantastic job slipping it. When he then tried to fight while outmaneuvering the "brawler" he got outmaneuverd himself as Duran had skills vastly superior to what he thought. Durans foot work and distance management was at least on par, often superior.

Every time Leonard thought to have figured out a part of Durans style and adapted, Duran also adapted, changed feints, attacks...etc. That was Durans night and he was simply the better fighter.

This fight made both a lot bigger. Leonard showed tremendous heart , warrior spirit & his ability to adapt in fight and Duran showed that he was even a notch above and the nr.1 fighter of the world in near every aspect back then.

I even thought about that fight when YoungCashMoney wrote the opponent couldnt have gone a 3rd round with that pace, because Leonhard and Duran went at a pace trying to take their heads of that I thought halfway through the fight they should be lying on the ground exhausted. Best fight of the century in my eyes! Sorry for off topic. Cant stop myself with Leonard-Duran.

Apparently I was in a smoker fight? I didn’t know wtf I was getting into honestly but everyone kept asking if I was fighting and who I’m fighting and afterwards good fight and shit lol? No idea.

It was sparring to me setup at another gym. it was rough work today even tho it didn’t last long. Guy I sparred outweighed me a good 15lbs and has been boxing since a child and was throwing some real heat.

Regardless, it was over after 2

Enjoy and critique.

Good work man. He was pretty good, threw the hook to the body quite a bit, but you lit him up. I forget exactly when it was in the vid, but you did some head movement threw a hook cross, the cross landed very clean, probably could have dropped him there if you followed up, and then later you really took it to him. LOL at dude sparring in Cortez

I think the biggest difference was your composure. I think your reputation preceded you, and he looked to be trying a bit too hard from to outset. I agree with some of the other posters in that you could have boxed more, but the one thing I noticed is that you threw your right half naked on a number of occasions. You were setting it up with the jab but covering it with the left hook more often would have given him fits.

One thing I do disagree with, is despite having good skills I don't see you as a "boxer" stylist, our styles tend to reflect our personalities more than our body type, and you seem to naturally want to scrap, combine that with your left hook, and I see you more as a Duran type than a Leonard.

I think the biggest difference was your composure. I think your reputation preceded you, and he looked to be trying a bit too hard from to outset. I agree with some of the other posters in that you could have boxed more, but the one thing I noticed is that you threw your right half naked on a number of occasions. You were setting it up with the jab but covering it with the left hook more often would have given him fits.

One thing I do disagree with, is despite having good skills I don't see you as a "boxer" stylist, our styles tend to reflect our personalities more than our body type, and you seem to naturally want to scrap, combine that with your left hook, and I see you more as a Duran type than a Leonard.

I'm a boxer puncher, I'm still trying to find where my style sits on that scale though. Am I more a boxer or am I more a puncher?

I'll tell you this, Sugar Ray Leonard is the fighter I would fight like if I could fight like anybody. He epitomizes boxer puncher and I think he was the better puncher between him and Duran aswell as the better boxer. Duran was simply the better brawler with a better inside game.

What people don't want to see me do, and what I'm falling into the game of doing, is brawling. Brawling is not at all what I want to do. I want to hit and not get hit - I just put a priority towards hitting more so than not getting hit, which is a problem & not how I was taught to box. Everything I did in this small video I could have done without taking any punishment at all by taking steam from him using my boxing & then punishing and using my pressure.

I can pressure while boxing too, like a passive aggressive kind of pressure, I just need to work on it and get on it.

I don't like to scrap, I just don't believe it is wise to scrap with me and am willing to test my theory on that to a flaw sometimes, which could get me hurt realistically against a guy who's whole game is based around that.

I agree a bit with what ur saying, and it definitely portrays that way when I box, but my intention and what works best for me is to be a Sugar Ray more so than a Duran if we are talking styles.

I get what your saying. You certainly have the speed and reflexes to be a great boxer/puncher, but if that is you intentions you will have to box a fare bit more conservatively. Also I would recommend doing this as soon as possible as habits die hard. At the moment it just looks like your trying to "smash cats".
The one thing I will say is that offence is superior to defence in boxing, and foreman took less damage than Ali. If you have the power to close the show quickly there is no reason why you shouldn't (short of walking straight on to a big shot).

I get what your saying. You certainly have the speed and reflexes to be a great boxer/puncher, but if that is you intentions you will have to box a fare bit more conservatively. Also I would recommend doing this as soon as possible as habits die hard. At the moment it just looks like your trying to "smash cats".
The one thing I will say is that offence is superior to defence in boxing, and foreman took less damage than Ali. If you have the power to close the show quickly there is no reason why you shouldn't (short of walking straight on to a big shot).

Yeah I agree and that’s why I like Leonard, if u didn’t belong in the ring with him he would brutally get u out of there quickly. But if he needed to box pretty, it was always there.

I just want to make sure my boxing skills are top notch for if a guy is chasing me down and can take my best shot, to minimize damage to myself. Of course if a guy can’t hurt me and I can feel they can’t hurt me, I’ll steamroll em over but some guys have too much strength to do that with

Random note, u know Marvin Hagler held me when I was 2 months old and wrote out a signed photo to me wishing me luck in life?

Screw these other fighters, I’m bout to go into solitary on an island and become like Marvin

Ali in my opinion was very skilled in certian aspects of defence (footwork going backwards and lateral) and very unskilled in other aspects (inside fighting, Ali mostly clenched and held heads down here).

I'm a boxer puncher, I'm still trying to find where my style sits on that scale though. Am I more a boxer or am I more a puncher?

how many fights have you had now? It can take a while for your style to pop out. dont look for it, just fight and see what happens, your style will eventually shine through, youll then recognize it. Once thats done, youll know your strengths, I would suggest then working on your weakness. For myself personally, my style is muay khao, lots of knees, and lets bring the fight......so I have been working on the outside game and my boxing to be more well rounded.

I thought you looked sharp. He was pushing the pace but you weather the storm. Came on in the second.

I'd like more uppercuts I know that's not really your mo but adding a lead uppercut after the cross or hook works great on tight guard fighters.

Duran was simply the better brawler with a better inside game.

I do disagree strongly. Duran would have lost if that was the case. Leonard toyed with these kind of fighters. But its not the right thread to discuss this at lenght. I may open a Duran vs Leonard thread some time.

Random note, u know Marvin Hagler held me when I was 2 months old and wrote out a signed photo to me wishing me luck in life?

Wow that is great. Also one of my absolute favourites. Have you ever tried the gazelle punch in sparring?

I do think you have a great style for pro boxing.
Ever think about going pro?

Nice. You showed him who is the boss. He did not like it when you came out ready to trade in the 2nd round.

Ali in my opinion was very skilled in certian aspects of defence (footwork going backwards and lateral) and very unskilled in other aspects (inside fighting, Ali mostly clenched and held heads down here).

I think that's how Joe Frazier beat him, he always got on the inside of everybody and Ali wasnt use to anyone getting that close.

Back