Zookeeper Gabe’s Animal Thread Vol 9.0

avd.gif

Last edited:
neat video showing how big of a difference aquarium lighting can have in the look of a fish.

We have been on a family road trip and have seen Pronghorn, Bison, Prairie dogs, coyotes, Mule deer, bighorn sheep and, I think, black footed ferret.

We also went here today: https://www.wildanimalsanctuary.org/

If you seen a black footed ferret, consider yourself lucky because they've been classified as extinct twice. They were declared extinct in the 70's but a small population was found. They were then declared extinct again in the 90's but a captive breeding program reintroduced them and they're slowly building numbers again.

Last edited:
neat video showing how big of a difference aquarium lighting can have in the look of a fish.

If you seen a black footed ferret, consider yourself lucky because they've been classified as extinct twice. They were declared extinct in the 70's but a small population was found. They were then declared extinct again in the 90's but a captive breeding program reintroduced them and they're slowly building numbers again.

I think it was, but not sure. They were reintroduced in the Badlands and that's where we were. But I could be wrong.

IMG_20210702_195644_054.jpg IMG_20210702_195644_082.jpg IMG_20210702_195644_102.jpg IMG_20210702_195644_119.jpg
Hatched these a week ago, have no clue on the morphs gonna have to ask some of the real experts.

Has sound:

This is bonkers.

How do large raptors dispatch prey like that? I've seen smaller birds capture their prey and basically eat them while they're still alive, but clearly that isn't the case here.

I know their talons are stupidly sharp and they have very strong grip. Do they just stab them to death, more or less?

This is bonkers.

How do large raptors dispatch prey like that? I've seen smaller birds capture their prey and basically eat them while they're still alive, but clearly that isn't the case here.

I know their talons are stupidly sharp and they have very strong grip. Do they just stab them to death, more or less?
@Zookeeper Gabe?

This is bonkers.

Obviously zookeeper gabe is the one to answer this and I have no definitive answers but I’ve seen in a a few documentary’s them dropping them from a height. I’d imagine that’s what they’d do with predators like a fox

This is bonkers.

Obviously zookeeper gabe is the one to answer this and I have no definitive answers but I’ve seen in a a few documentary’s them dropping them from a height. I’d imagine that’s what they’d do with predators like a fox
Maybe.

(german) wiki says their talons can pierce the skull of young goats and almost instantly kill them. I guess that would work on a fox too.

Or maybe the fox was already dead. Apparently they occasionally also eat carrion.

Anyone like sea kraits? I find an amphibious snake with that sort of pattern to be very kool. It's also kool that they have one of the most powerful venoms among snakes but are reluctant to bite.

Back