Are Indian wrestlers legit?

Anytime a thread is made complimenting Indian athletes, immediately the incredibly insecure racist white guys arrive and start their trolling. Happens every time without fail. The main reason for this is because Indian Americans are the highest earning ethnic group in the USA, and this infuriates these racist white guys, so they take out their frustration online by trolling Indians. A secondary reason for this trolling is because many male Indian Americans date and/or marry white women and this further infuriates these racist white male online trolls.

Ironically you sound racist here.

Of what? India's objectively terrible record in athletic competitions? They have 28 Olympic medals total, ever. That's the same as Latvia, a country no one knows about with a 2M population. Or that one stoner dude, Michael Phelps. It's also half of North Korea's medal count.

I do have been corrected on their recent performances in the wrestling world championships though, 6th place in freestyle is good.

They have a strong wrestling culture and in some regions great genetics for the sport. There seems to be a lack of infrastructure and resources compared to many countries and since their traditional wrestling isn't freestyle its a distinct disadvantage. However Sushil Kumar is a 2x Olympic medalist and World Champion and Yogeshwar Dutt also medaled in 2012 Olympics.

Ravi Kumad Dahiya is a top young wrestler on the international scene with potential to medal in 2021 along with Balrang Punia.

Population size isnt always a fair metric.

Anytime a thread is made complimenting Indian athletes, immediately the incredibly insecure racist white guys arrive and start their trolling. Happens every time without fail. The main reason for this is because Indian Americans are the highest earning ethnic group in the USA, and this infuriates these racist white guys, so they take out their frustration online by trolling Indians. A secondary reason for this trolling is because many male Indian Americans date and/or marry white women and this further infuriates these racist white male online trolls.

Not really

They are very good wrestlers! Some of the top clubs in Canada are Indian run. Wrestling is HUGE in the Sikh culture, in India they have sand wrestling.

They have a strong wrestling culture and in some regions great genetics for the sport. There seems to be a lack of infrastructure and resources compared to many countries and since their traditional wrestling isn't freestyle its a distinct disadvantage. However Sushil Kumar is a 2x Olympic medalist and World Champion and Yogeshwar Dutt also medaled in 2012 Olympics.

Ravi Kumad Dahiya is a top young wrestler on the international scene with potential to medal in 2021 along with Balrang Punia.

Population size isnt always a fair metric.
Pelwanhi isn't freestyle, but it is very similar, especially compared to many other traditional folk wrestling styles.

Fun fact: Wrestling was invented in India.
This is rubbish, sorry
Every ancient culture from Egypt to Babylon to Greece to China has had a form of wrestling.

There is a claim sometimes made that they made jiujitsu from something like yoga although the modern history of jiu jitsu can only be traced directly from Japan and China. They do have one of the oldest martial arts keralipayyattu though...

I don't know why they wouldn't be legit but there's Sushil Kumar he is famous for practicing wrestling.

Yes.

Once Sushil Kumar earned medals at Worlds and the Olympics, newfound attention was given to wrestling in India.

- The Phogat sisters
- Dutt followed Kumar's successes.
- Punia is doing very well in today's tournaments.

Plus, there has been more attention to Kushti wrestling as well. Kushti is the traditional form of the sport in the subcontinent. It is like freestyle, but in a sandy mud pit. Much like US folkstyle wrestling, Kushti has pins. Many traditional sports around the world are a "wrestle until a takedown" type of sport.

The Vedas might beat the Old Testament to be the first written mention of wrestling. But there is cave art and ancient artifacts depicting wrestling thousands of years before the vedas in africa, the mid east, france, ancient greece etc

Leave two toddlers together for an hour and they will have independently invented wrestling, its not like it needed to spread from a single origin.

I wasn't familiar with Sushil Kumar but after looking him up, yeah he sounds like a true underdog story. Partially inspired to take up wrestling by his cousin, who had to stop competing because their family could only support one wrestler. Strict vegetarian. And turned down a $70K liquor commercial (when he's not making big money) because he didn't want to promote alcohol to young people. What a badass. But at almost 38, do you think he has a real chance to qualify for the Olympics?

The vegetarian angle is significant. I know it can be done but you must have to be super strict with your diet - just another inconvenience for an athlete when traveling. I tried to give up meat for a week just out of curiosity and after a few days said fuck that. Couldn't train with any kind of intensity and felt like crap. Respect to anyone that does it because the energy and recovery demands of training wrestling are massive, and by far the easiest way for most athletes to do that is to eat a balanced diet including meat.

By the way I didn't think you were accusing me of being racist, just wanted to clarify my post. Agree there's some offensive stuff in this thread and most threads about national origin sadly seem to devolve into that.
@Kforcer
upload_2021-2-26_22-23-29.png
upload_2021-2-26_22-25-22.png

I don't doubt you have to have incredible genetics to be a bronze and silver medalist olympic freestylw wrestler but I find it very unlikely these guys don't dabble in anabolics (like every other country involved in olympic wrestling). Thats got to change the game a lot in terms of how a lack of meat doesnt impair these guys as much as it would a natural athlete.

Well, kushti is incredibly similar to freestyle and American folkstyle wrestling and is also, obviously, very, very old. So I would think it definitely played some sort of part in the origins of modern freestyle wrestling. It's hard to believe it had no role whatsoever, when it is in many ways, simply freestyle wrestling in mud. It's an ancient wrestling form, practiced continuously from the distant past until today and it has striking similarities to the dominant contemporary forms of wrestling. So the obvious conclusion to reach--to me anyways--is that it has had some influence.

Wrestling that features action on the ground and pinning as a means of victory isn't the most common form. Styles where victory is achieved solely by bringing an opponent off his feet have, historically, been more common, it seems. So the fact that kushti features ground wrestling and pinning certainly stands out and is significant.

@Kforcer
View attachment 836527
View attachment 836528

I don't doubt you have to have incredible genetics to be a bronze and silver medalist olympic freestylw wrestler but I find it very unlikely these guys don't dabble in anabolics (like every other country involved in olympic wrestling). Thats got to change the game a lot in terms of how a lack of meat doesnt impair these guys as much as it would a natural athlete.
To be fair to Kumar, he wasn't just a silver and bronze medalist in the Olympics, he was also a world champion in freestyle.

Plus, there has been more attention to Kushti wrestling as well. Kushti is the traditional form of the sport in the subcontinent. It is like freestyle, but in a sandy mud pit. Much like US folkstyle wrestling, Kushti has pins. Many traditional sports around the world are a "wrestle until a takedown" type of sport.
Yes, exactly.

Back