International Australia to use facial recognition and geo-location to enforce Covid quarantines

I don't know much about your government but it sounds pretty fishy to me that they are too inept to roll out vaccines but they're able to install a facial recognition and gps tracking system that only takes 15 minutes of unresponsiveness on your part to put police boots on the ground to track you down and arrest you.

Call me crazy or a stupid yank or whatever you want but I think your people are being played right now.

The federal government is inept. The covid elimination has been largely a result of the federal government trying to avoid taking any responsibility for the problem and letting states handle it however they want.

The whole police arresting you ain't really going to happen. I'm pretty skeptical of this even being rolled out. These rules will apply for very few people and arrests in my country don't result in anything other than a fine. Which probably won't be paid. Nobody will go to jail over this. Our system doesn't put people in jail to a fault IMO.

These states are holding on to the hope of the past thinking. It won't last.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/09/pandemic-australia-still-liberal-democracy/619940/

Lol. Imagine being triple-vaxxed and wearing your two face masks at home while social distancing from your wife and her boyfriend, and then still getting arrested for not responding to a text message fast enough. Please everyone, go get more jabs and I'm sure this will be over in two weeks!
Australia looking mad weak right now. someone gon conquer Australia I thought they were tougher people smh

The federal government is inept. The covid elimination has been largely a result of the federal government trying to avoid taking any responsibility for the problem and letting states handle it however they want.

The whole police arresting you ain't really going to happen. I'm pretty skeptical of this even being rolled out. These rules will apply for very few people and arrests in my country don't result in anything other than a fine. Which probably won't be paid. Nobody will go to jail over this. Our system doesn't put people in jail to a fault IMO.

These states are holding on to the hope of the past thinking. It won't last.

I certainly hope it doesn't happen because it sounds scary as hell. If it does really happen, you'll have to update the thread and let us know.

Laughs in Melbourne and Sydney.

Both these states did basically eliminate it at some point. This is why the country is split on the handling of it. Delta is another thing entirely and melb+sydney giving up will result in the other states doing the same.

States trying desperately to keep themselves covid free is a pipe dream and they'll realize that.

4-5 months is my estimate. Rollout is slow as shit but Sydney and Melbourne will smash these covid free pipe dreams. We both have had the same kind of thinking as these other states but have given up on it. They'll join the fold.

4-5 months is my estimate. Rollout is slow as shit but Sydney and Melbourne will smash these covid free pipe dreams. We both have had the same kind of thinking as these other states but have given up on it. They'll join the fold.

Mate, the vaccine won't magically make Covid disappear in your country. Israel is one of the most vaxxed countries in the world, and they are also the number 1 Covid hotspot in the world. Once these restrictions are in place, they are NEVER going away. 3 months ago, Israelis thought they were getting their freedoms back when they hit 70% vax rate. Today they have more restrictions than ever.

@Ruprecht is in SA. He'll know more about his states rules than me. Doubt this is applied to him, but rather anyone trying to enter his state.

Bit of laugh yanks talking about South Australia. We've had 4 deaths from covid (from returning citizens, not community spread) and a total of 14 days in lockdown for the past 2 years, a week of which was the result of a quarantine hotel security guard bullshitting about moonlighting at a pizza bar.
There's no lockdown here, and I've worn a mask precisely once to visit a hospital. The app is their alternative to hotel quarantine. Although based on my experience with app development, it's a shift which I think is highly likely to result in our first real outbreak in the general population since we booted out a bunch of infected yanks gallivanting around the Barossa right at the start.
The hotel quarantines are a weak point anyway mind you. Both in terms of the facilities not being fit for purpose and their locations in urban centres.
The other weak point here in SA is that because we've been so successful to date in keeping out the pandemic, we've been the lowest priority for vaccination. I can't get vaccinated until the end of the month at the earliest.
The app wouldn't apply to me anyway even if I was travelling interstate, simply because I've never owned a mobile phone. I'd be in hotel quarantine.

Mate, the vaccine won't magically make Covid disappear in your country. Israel is one of the most vaxxed countries in the world, and they are also the number 1 Covid hotspot in the world. Once these restrictions are in place, they are NEVER going away. 3 months ago, Israelis thought they were getting their freedoms back when they hit 70% vax rate. Today they have more restrictions than ever.

No shit covid ain't going away even with a vaccine. I've only said that melbourne and sydney have given up on staying at zero about a half dozen times.

Bit of laugh yanks talking about South Australia. We've had 4 deaths from covid (from returning citizens, not community spread) and a total of 14 days in lockdown for the past 2 years, a week of which was the result of a quarantine hotel security guard bullshitting about moonlighting at a pizza bar.
There's no lockdown here, and I've worn a mask precisely once to visit a hospital. The app is their alternative to hotel quarantine. Although based on my experience with app development, it's a shift which I think is highly likely to result in our first real outbreak in the general population since we booted out a bunch of infected yanks gallivanting around the Barossa right at the start.
The hotel quarantines are a weak point anyway mind you. Both in terms of the facilities not being fit for purpose and their locations in urban centres.
The other weak point here in SA is that because we've been so successful to date in keeping out the pandemic, we've been the lowest priority for vaccination. I can't get vaccinated until the end of the month at the earliest.
The app wouldn't apply to me anyway even if I was travelling interstate, simply because I've never owned a mobile phone. I'd be in hotel quarantine.

They're all muh freedoms, muh economy without realizing these kind of measures are being put in place to retain peoples freedoms and their states economies.

I don't expect many to understand, hell I don't expect many to even attempt it. For the most part it's just them trying to justify their sense of superiority.

Reactions: Isa
And the highest of covid cases dispute the third booster shots which i am worried for.

No shit covid ain't going away even with a vaccine. I've only said that melbourne and sydney have given up on staying at zero about a half dozen times.

They're all muh freedoms, muh economy without realizing these kind of measures are being put in place to retain peoples freedoms and their states economies.

I don't expect many to understand, hell I don't expect many to even attempt it. For the most part it's just them trying to justify their sense of superiority.

Yeah, both NSW and VIC have dropped the ball repeatedly in ways which have had immediate and significant consequences as a result of their population size. Prior to the delta variant the Ruby Princess was still related to about 10% of Australian infections, and those returnees were the majority of total cases in South Australia (might be still).
A federal response would presumably have been an improvement, but then again the Howard Springs facility is a joke.
Regardless, compared to the American response they look like geniuses.

Yawn.

Bit sick of Yanks pretending they know anything about what goes on in other countries.

So from someone in Australia I'll give you guys the lowdown on what's actually happening.

1. Lockdowns worked so well for our island country that we basically eliminated the virus for the most part.
2. This meant that we got no vaccines compared the the rest of the world when they started being produced because we didn't need them.
3. We also have a completely useless federal government without the ability to acquire vaccines or roll them out despite already having systems in place for vaccine rollouts we offer each year for flu shots.
4. This has resulted in us having some of the worst vaccination rates in the world.
5. Then Delta outbreaks have occurred in the two biggest states that haven't been able to be controlled.
6. The rest of the other states are putting in major border restrictions and getting real tough on entry because the vaccines are being reserved for the two states that have fucked up, they're not vaccinated and they don't have or want covid in their state.
7. People within covid free states don't give a flying fuck about imposing incredibly harsh restrictions on anyone entering the state because with piss poor vaccination rates they don't want lockdowns or covid to fuck their economy.
8. This is where your article comes in. SA has millions of people and practically 0 cases. They want to keep it that way for the time being.
9. This won't last very long. The two biggest states are finally going away from case numbers as the determining factor as to how strict the lockdowns are and are now talking a about how vaccination rates will be the determining factor to how strict lockdowns are.
10. This means numbers of covid will go up and eventually the other states will adopt the same inevitable policy.

And do that forever because herd immunity will never be achieved.

Enjoy your police state.

Yeah, both NSW and VIC have dropped the ball repeatedly in ways which have had immediate and significant consequences as a result of their population size. Prior to the delta variant the Ruby Princess was still related to about 10% of Australian infections, and those returnees were the majority of total cases in South Australia (might be still).
A federal response would presumably have been an improvement, but then again the Howard Springs facility is a joke.
Regardless, compared to the American response they look like geniuses.

Can't really expect Scotty from marketing to do anything that yields a better result than doing nothing.

What's really annoying is we're not planning for the eventual failure of delta containment and the massive strain it will put on our health services. Without the significant initial exposure to covid the rest of the world has had the delta outbreak is going to fuck us in the ass a lot worse than it has other countries with high vaccination rates, exposure rates and deaths.

And do that forever because herd immunity will never be achieved.

Enjoy your police state.

Our failure to take into account that our success in minimizing the original covid is going to result in a less than enviable delta impact which means more "police state" policies.

To balance this out though we have a substantially better democratic process in Australia than America which allows for people to vote for parties that aren't the big two without throwing their votes away.

If this shit continues I won't be surprised if there is a big swing away from the big two and an increase in the amount of "muh freedom" politicians.

Can't really expect Scotty from marketing to do anything that yields a better result than doing nothing.

What's really annoying is we're not planning for the eventual failure of delta containment and the massive strain it will put on our health services. Without the significant initial exposure to covid the rest of the world has had the delta outbreak is going to fuck us in the ass a lot worse than it has other countries with high vaccination rates, exposure rates and deaths.

At least outside of Sky News it hasn't been made a partisan issue like the US. Bungling the vaccine roll out was simply incompetence rather than some partisan bias. Depending I guess on what you believe about Berejiklian taking vaccines from the Labor voting central coast for Sydney (although ScoMo wasn't having it).
There's no real plan here in SA other than border quarantines until we reach 70% vaccination, which at our current rate will have made us the first to lock down our borders and the last to open them. Which sucks for Bordertown I guess, but the rest of the state will shrug.

Back