Rumored Bellator LWGP 2023

careto

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score

Coker briefly mentioned how the LW division is stacked and might be the direction they go for the 2023 GP. This would be an epic GP, imo, even if it is only an 8-man tournament, particularly if they can get AJ in it.

*Edit* Around 5:30 - 6:00 he talks about it.

Last edited:
why not. Should probably do one in every div before they stop doing them.

If they signed Nate it would be pretty crazy.

Why not put another tournament together pairing up fighters that would fight each other regardless this coming year. <45>

It's such a cheesy way to market your org now days.

They should do these tournament across a couple weight classes and put in catch weight for fighters or do it in country/state that will allow a range between 140 and 150 as min. or max weight to compete. At least then we'll see match ups we weren't going to get to see. That is how you a make a tournament that may draw in extra eyes and get people talking around the media about the tournament. . Matching up the number 4 and 2nd ranked LW in tournament will get the same eyeballs watching as it would if it was on the next event Bellator is putting on. Seems like Coker doing a tournament 9 out 10 times is just an easy way to not worry about that weight class for year more or less.

A LW GP would be pretty sweet. Maybe get 1 or 2 Rizin guys to do it like the old pride days where they had some cross promotion. Eddie Alvarez is a free agent. Maybe they could sign him for this?

I like the tournament concept, but they need to pick up the pace on these. They tend to drag on so long I forget what's even going on with them.

Why not put another tournament together pairing up fighters that would fight each other regardless this coming year. <45>

They should do these tournament across a couple weight classes and put in catch weight for fighters or do it in country/state that will allow a range between 140 and 150 as min. or max weight to compete. At least then we'll see match ups we weren't going to get to see. That is how you a make a tournament that may draw in extra eyes and get people talking around the media about the tournament. . Matching up the number 4 and 2nd ranked LW in tournament will get the same eyeballs watching as it would if it was on the next event Bellator is putting on. Seems like Coker doing a tournament 9 out 10 times is just an easy way to not worry about that weight class for year more or less.
This would be thr ideal way of having tournaments, kind of how they happened in PRIDE. Pretty much a lot of match ups that only happened in tournaments and otherwise wouldnt happen. I dont think that is Coker's vision, though. But a 150 limit tournament with Pitbull, Borics, Pico, AJ, Usman, Musayev, Shabliy, Barnoui, etc. would be pretty sweet instead of a LW tournament.

A LW GP would be pretty sweet. Maybe get 1 or 2 Rizin guys to do it like the old pride days where they had some cross promotion. Eddie Alvarez is a free agent. Maybe they could sign him for this?
If they can have Usman, Patricky, Shabliy, Musayev, AJ, Barnoui, plus sign Eddie and get Satoshi as a RIZIN representative it would be fire.

I actually like the Japanese style of Grand Prix where you do all the matchups for the round of 16 and quarterfinals at separate events, and then the semis and finals are all in one night. It's weird since Bellator did a one night 4 man tournament at the Bellator/Glory cross over event.

That event was really ahead of it's time and if Bellator stuck to something in that format, I think it would be better. It was MMA/Kickboxing on one card way before ONE even was a thought in people's heads. Even had cross over bouts like Daley in a Kickboxing bout.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bellator_MMA_&_Glory:_Dynamite_1

I like those Bellator / Glory events better since it solved the issue that ONE has with KB/MT in a cage by just having both a ring and cage side by side

Last edited:
If they can have Usman, Patricky, Shabliy, Musayev, AJ, Barnoui, plus sign Eddie and get Satoshi as a RIZIN representative it would be fire.

If Usman beats Patricky I would rather Patricio move up for it to represent the Pitbull's instead. But that would be a good one.

If Usman beats Patricky I would rather Patricio move up for it to represent the Pitbull's instead. But that would be a good one.
That would leave FW in limbo while Pico is 1 or 2 fights away from a titleshot, IMO.

That would leave FW in limbo while Pico is 1 or 2 fights away from a titleshot, IMO.

Thats true but they let him hold LW title for two years, other than Pico who I think can still use a few more there aint much else going on there. But I do agree Pitbull/Pico should it happen next year would be a fun and interesting one.

I wonder if they will make that Usman/Patricky part of it but they probably wont.

Thats true but they let him hold LW title for two years, other than Pico who I think can still use a few more there aint much else going on there. But I do agree Pitbull/Pico should it happen next year would be a fun and interesting one.

I wonder if they will make that Usman/Patricky part of it but they probably wont.
I think Brennan is two bouts away from a title shot.

If they get Diaz they should put him instead of Pitbull. But I do like that little Pitbull idea tho.
I dont see Diaz signing for a tournament, much less at LW. If they di get Diaz, it might be as a one-off as part of the boxing deal. But I doubt Diaz would want to be tied up to a long term deal.

I dont see Diaz signing for a tournament, much less at LW. If they di get Diaz, it might be as a one-off as part of the boxing deal. But I doubt Diaz would want to be tied up to a long term deal.
Idk I’m just thinking if Nate were to sign who else could he fight that would get him excited? I think MVP is a good fight. Then maybe AJ. Don’t really see any huge money fights. Feel like he could be sold on a tourney though. Diaz brothers are different under Coker, they’re actually happy and willing to fight.

Don't see Nate going to Bellator, although I'd like it to happen. I think he'd like to have a boxing match with Conor (if the UFC would approve it, which I think ($$$) they would) as the trilogy fight. Would favor Nate in that big time.

Back