Bellator new Signings thread

Im assuming you are talking about Ian Garry but I may be wrong. He openly said something very similar to what you said and he is quiet a douche lol. And I agree, there are many roads to the UFC but its quiet a miscinception that going to Bellator means being locked in a contract. The company doesnt do much to clear their name, though, so its a little bit on them, too.
Yeah, and I don't think they would try to publicize that they are by virtue of how old they are at least, the number 1 historical feeder to the UFC, because they're trying to compete, but it's true, and I hope fighters come to have a better understanding of that as well.

I don't even think Coker is that vindictive with the matching. For example Chandler had his last bout in August 2020 and then next month he signed his deal with the UFC. Chris Duncan had his last bout in October 2020 and he described him leaving Bellator as easy and a good time there

My impression is that Coker is very popular with the fighters. Contrast that with Bjorn. And I think it really pays off. What made AJ McKee a star was that he beat Pitbull, and what ingratiated Pitbull to the heavies is that he knocked out Michael Chandler, Chandler goes to the UFC, knocks out Dan Hooker, and suddenly people are saying "wow this Pitbull guy is actually not a B tier fighter." I think in the eyes of many UFC exclusive fans and media who have now become AJ fans or will even acknowledge that he's a top 5 FW in the world, it's precisely because Pitbull knocked out Chandler and now Chandler is in the UFC. So Coker, if not being cooperative at least being professional, with Chandler is in a way setting up for what success Bellator is having right now.

Yeah, and I don't think they would try to publicize that they are by virtue of how old they are at least, the number 1 historical feeder to the UFC, because they're trying to compete, but it's true, and I hope fighters come to have a better understanding of that as well.

My impression is that Coker is very popular with the fighters. Contrast that with Bjorn. And I think it really pays off. What made AJ McKee a star was that he beat Pitbull, and what ingratiated Pitbull to the heavies is that he knocked out Michael Chandler, Chandler goes to the UFC, knocks out Dan Hooker, and suddenly people are saying "wow this Pitbull guy is actually not a B tier fighter." I think in the eyes of many UFC exclusive fans and media who have now become AJ fans or will even acknowledge that he's a top 5 FW in the world, it's precisely because Pitbull knocked out Chandler and now Chandler is in the UFC. So Coker, if not being cooperative at least being professional, with Chandler is in a way setting up for what success Bellator is having right now.
Ya seems like all the contract disputes with Bellator were because off Bjorn era contracts, ala Eddie and Minakov. Coker was kinda left in a tough position with the Minakov deal but Minakov didn't help himself by losing the lawsuit to his former agent meaning he gives 20% of his purse to his old agent if he fights in America. Minakov is stuck fighting in Russia until his contract runs out, so in 4 fights after this one in Moscow. Better hope the lawsuit doens't apply in the rest off Europe since I expect Bellator to go to Russia at least twice a year at max

Yeah, I mean it's free agency, so it's usually when the fighters have a bit of leverage and they have the potential, at least, to get paid or overpaid.

The thing is, I've seen this misconception not just from fans but also heard it from fighters in interviews, and that annoys me more so than just fans like you and me having some misperceptions. I was listening to one fighter who shall not be named, who I root for but others think is perhaps a douche, in an interview and the interviewer mentioned that there were some fighters who went into Bellator at 0-0, and asked said fighter if he considered that. Said fighter said, basically, "I respect those fighters, but I'm not looking to be in a second class league, I'm looking to be in the UFC." Ok, where's the problem with that. Problem with that is that these are not mutually exclusive. You can start 0-0, or after like 2-0 or something in Bellator AND go to the UFC, in fact that's exactly what Alonzo Menifield did. And the promotion that he's opted for instead maybe offers 1+1, maybe. Maybe less if you're new. You do some early fights in Bellator, you're starting 4+4 right? So it's not even close. 6 grand is not a lot of money but it's not something I'd sneeze at, and over multiple fights, that multiplies. It's also another opportunity to stay active, if your promotion's cards are full or they're not planning that many shows, you want a quick turnaround. It's money for you and it's a chance to watch some good fights for us as fans, but to have that perception or that mindset that "a fight in Bellator will hold me back" that's just not helpful to either the fighter or the fans. And you can do both if you want, you can sign a 1 fight deal with Bellator, then go fight one fight if you want to be active soon after for another promotion, but the misconception I think holds some fighters back.

Just follow the news right? Like Chidi Njokuani is on DWCS this year, as is Chris Duncan, if either gets a finish then he might get in the UFC. Kemran Lachinov was on TUF. There are many roads to the UFC, and if it makes financial sense to go through Bellator then I'd say why not.

Not disagreeing with your overall point but people like Menifield weren't under long term contract as such. They used to have shows with ten plus prelim fights and you'd get all kinds of random fighters on there on one-off deals.

Not disagreeing with your overall point but people like Menifield weren't under long term contract as such. They used to have shows with ten plus prelim fights and you'd get all kinds of random fighters on there on one-off deals.
Yeah, but he's just one such example of many. Many fighters sign one fight, the one plus one option, or maybe 2 fight one year deals with Bellator, I think there's some options there. I do think they cut the number of prelim fights post-pandemic, probably as a financial measure, because they also moved the standard contract from 2+2 to 4+4. So with pandemic finances and increasing minimum wage there are less slots and in theory there might be less flexibility then, but I think we've seen that there are actually still too many slots. Even post-pandemic there are still plenty of fighters we see, and then don't see again, or see in a new place, and then maybe they reappear in Bellator later, maybe they appear on DWCS. So on and so forth.

Yeah, but he's just one such example of many. Many fighters sign one fight, the one plus one option, or maybe 2 fight one year deals with Bellator, I think there's some options there. I do think they cut the number of prelim fights post-pandemic, probably as a financial measure, because they also moved the standard contract from 2+2 to 4+4. So with pandemic finances and increasing minimum wage there are less slots and in theory there might be less flexibility then, but I think we've seen that there are actually still too many slots. Even post-pandemic there are still plenty of fighters we see, and then don't see again, or see in a new place, and then maybe they reappear in Bellator later, maybe they appear on DWCS. So on and so forth.

They just reduced the prelim fighters during the pandemic shows because they didn't need them to sell tickets. Once they're back rolling full capacity regularly I'd expect these guys to be getting booked again. I think they just speak to local agents and see who's popularish in the area, put a bunch of them on the card and don't really know who they are.

They just reduced the prelim fighters during the pandemic shows because they didn't need them to sell tickets. Once they're back rolling full capacity regularly I'd expect these guys to be getting booked again. I think they just speak to local agents and see who's popularish in the area, put a bunch of them on the card and don't really know who they are.
Yeah that's true. Feels kinda pointless having 10+ fighters on the cards if it's at the Mohegan Sun.

I hope you're right. Because those folks do bring out fans in some numbers, since they tell everyone they know in the area to watch them fight.

I know it's not a official Bellator signing, but very good wrestler looking to get into MMA, this has Coker all over it. A heavyweight as well, so could be the next Cormier

Dude is 260 pounds and super athletic

Gable Stevens is out of budget for Bellator and even the UFC wouldnt pay him shit right now as just an Olympic wrestler. Im thinking he, either continues his college career (he is 21) and pursues double gold for Paris 2024 or joins WWE. He is a big wrestling fan and WWE has posted congratulatory messages for him.

If Viacom is serious about MMA and Bellator is really looking into having CBS events, this is the guy to sign. Like him or not O'Malley is a legit needlemover who is unhappy with the UFC and I think has only a couple of fights left on his contract. A CBS card with AJ as main and O'Malley as co-main would draw big.

If Viacom is serious about MMA and Bellator is really looking into having CBS events, this is the guy to sign. Like him or not O'Malley is a legit needlemover who is unhappy with the UFC and I think has only a couple of fights left on his contract. A CBS card with AJ as main and O'Malley as co-main would draw big.

I don't know how much he'll be looking for though. He makes 90/90 as it is.

He feels like the kind of guy who would want the clout being a UFC fighter brings. That same clout is the reason why the UFC pays what it does. It's predatory, but it's very true.

I'd love it tbh. Could even see an AJ/O'Malley fight at some point up at 145. It's fan fiction though.

He feels like the kind of guy who would want the clout being a UFC fighter brings. That same clout is the reason why the UFC pays what it does. It's predatory, but it's very true.

I'd love it tbh. Could even see an AJ/O'Malley fight at some point up at 145. It's fan fiction though.
Yup, never gonna happen.

I don't know how much he'll be looking for though. He makes 90/90 as it is.
If Viacom was serious I would double that amoint, allow boxing matches, and guarantee only CBS cards. Getting a real needlemover is the only way to get new eyes on the product. Mousasi, Rory, Benson, Bader, etc. are legit as fuck and add legitimacy but they dont bring enough eyes to make a difference.

Either that or move to Telemundo and compete with Combate for who gets the most people falling asleep watching.

If Viacom was serious I would double that amoint, allow boxing matches, and guarantee only CBS cards. Getting a real needlemover is the only way to get new eyes on the product. Mousasi, Rory, Benson, Bader, etc. are legit as fuck and add legitimacy but they dont bring enough eyes to make a difference.

Either that or move to Telemundo and compete with Combate for who gets the most people falling asleep watching.
Honestly, with the Showtime connection, allowing O’Malley to take boxing bouts along with fighting in Bellator would be enough to get him. Would also solve the problem off visibility in Bellator since his boxing exploits would all but cover that.

Coker is just such a bad promoter, though. He is great at putting together fights and has all the talent relations, but he has a hard time selling fights, even though he has had a very legitimate product for the last 3-5 years. I would make him head of talent relations or some shit like that and get a younger, brash promoter who takes more risks.

Honestly, with the Showtime connection, allowing O’Malley to take boxing bouts along with fighting in Bellator would be enough to get him. Would also solve the problem off visibility in Bellator since his boxing exploits would all but cover that.
Spending some money and putting CBS shows is the only way you will get new viewership. Focus on building prospects, keep only the best current fighters on the roster, and do a power move for a big signing (needlemover). O'Malley, Gaethje, and Nate are the most popular fighters that have either 1 fight left on their contract or a couple left. They all have a bad relationship with Dana, too.

Back