Bellator new Signings thread

It'd be kind of surprising to me if Bellator wanted to keep Keifer Crosbie around at $50k a fight so while he's positioning it that way I kind of doubt it was anything but a mutual decision. Dude's lost 2 in a row and got finished in a round by a guy who can't crack Bellator's top 10 his last time out. He's pretty underwhelming all around and unless he improves majorly I don't see him having more then a cup of coffee in the UFC at absolute best. He might be able to string together a few wins in Cage Warriors and get a contender series shot though. Good luck to him.

lol next fight for 5 grand in Cage Warriors.

Tbh this is what all the British/Irish fighters secretly think about fighting for Bellator though.
I mean sure, but I think Kiefer is just upset Bellator told him they aren’t renewing him for 50K per fight and told him to pack it up.

i was always off the idea that money is money, why make 10k/10k in the UFC if you can make more and position yourself for a better contract from the UFC

it’s kinda like in basketball or baseball, would everyone like to play in NBA or MLB, sure but if you are making a good living playing basketball in Europe or baseball in Japan or Korea, that’s good as well and you don’t bite the hand who feeds

I mean sure, but I think Kiefer is just upset Bellator told him they aren’t renewing him for 50K per fight and told him to pack it up.

i was always off the idea that money is money, why make 10k/10k in the UFC if you can make more and position yourself for a better contract from the UFC

it’s kinda like in basketball or baseball, would everyone like to play in NBA or MLB, sure but if you are making a good living playing basketball in Europe or baseball in Japan or Korea, that’s good as well and you don’t bite the hand who feeds

It's getting tied into contracts and stuff that's somewhat of the issue. I remember Mokaev saying he didn't want to go to Bellator because people get stuck there.

It's getting tied into contracts and stuff that's somewhat of the issue. I remember Mokaev saying he didn't want to go to Bellator because people get stuck there.
I wonder if Bellator was more lenient with their contracts, then they would have more success getting fighters. Maybe have it three title defences and then you can leave or a more lenient matching system. The UFC kinda paved the way for how other organizations structure their contracts but alas

A real free agency system in MMA without clauses would be great.

I wonder if Bellator was more lenient with their contracts, then they would have more success getting fighters. Maybe have it three title defences and then you can leave or a more lenient matching system. The UFC kinda paved the way for how other organizations structure their contracts but alas

I think the matching is already pretty lenient but if they let people leave when it's time then I'm almost sure they would. They clung onto Minakov for dear life leading to him wasting his prime, which as a fighter would make me think twice about signing for them.

I think the matching is already pretty lenient but if they let people leave when it's time then I'm almost sure they would. They clung onto Minakov for dear life leading to him wasting his prime, which as a fighter would make me think twice about signing for them.
Until Bellator gets on CBS on a regular basis, I believe that would be the case. The prime goal right now should be to get Bellator on a major network channel, at least a handful amount of time a year at first

lol next fight for 5 grand in Cage Warriors.

Tbh this is what all the British/Irish fighters secretly think about fighting for Bellator though.
Kiefer Crosbie is not good enough to burn his bridges like that. I understand guys like Gary, Jiri, or Mokaev to wait for the UFC and make it known but guys like Jordan Young or Kiefer Crosbie dont have neither the skill nor the popularity to burn their bridges like that. Crosibe is a fun fighter but he is dime a dozen, definitely not worth $50k per fight, and he isnt getting that kind of money from CW or the UFC any time soon.

Kiefer Crosbie is not good enough to burn his bridges like that. I understand guys like Gary, Jiri, or Mokaev to wait for the UFC and make it known but guys like Jordan Young or Kiefer Crosbie dont have neither the skill nor the popularity to burn their bridges like that. Crosibe is a fun fighter but he is dime a dozen, definitely not worth $50k per fight, and he isnt getting that kind of money from CW or the UFC any time soon.

Oh I 100% agree with that, the guy is just having a tantrum about his release. I don't think he'll ever be in the UFC unless they're struggling to fill an Ireland card one day.

The whole Minakov debacle was a lose-lose situation for Bellator. Whatever decision they took was gonna leave a bad precedent for other fighters. If he was allowed to be while being champion and/or under contract then it would set a precedent for any fighter to leave whenever they wanted. If they stuck to their guns and forced him to honor his contract then they look authoritarian and forced a very high level HW to spend his prime locked in contract disputes.

If Bellator wants to be taken seriously as a legitimate competition to the UFC then you cant act like a feeder league or stepping stone to the UFC. Will it shrink the margin of fighters willing to sign with you? Yes, but it is part of the business model and plenty of other great fighters will still sign with them. Now, if Bellator had settled as a type of stepping stone/feeder to the UFC, then plenty of more fighters would make their way to Bellator. We would possibly had seen many of these blue chip prospects duking it out to get to the UFC, through Bellator. But that doesnt seem to be Bellator's business plan.

The whole Minakov debacle was a lose-lose situation for Bellator. Whatever decision they took was gonna leave a bad precedent for other fighters. If he was allowed to be while being champion and/or under contract then it would set a precedent for any fighter to leave whenever they wanted. If they stuck to their guns and forced him to honor his contract then they look authoritarian and forced a very high level HW to spend his prime locked in contract disputes.

If Bellator wants to be taken seriously as a legitimate competition to the UFC then you cant act like a feeder league or stepping stone to the UFC. Will it shrink the margin of fighters willing to sign with you? Yes, but it is part of the business. Now, if Bellator had settled as a type of stepping stone/feeder to the UFC,then plenty of more fighters would have their start in Bellator and we would possibly see many of these blue chip prospects duking it out to get to the UFC, through Bellator. But that doesnt seem to be Bellator's business plan.

They're never going to be a legitimate challenge to the UFC. Imo they should offer fighters good terms and better terms than the UFC where possible and they'll keep hold of a lot of the roster that way. If some fighters are prepared to take a pay cut to go to the UFC and are desperate to go then let them imo, assuming they've done a fair amount for the company.

For example if a Patricio or a Lima got an offer from the UFC and Bellator stood in their way then to me that's bad business.

They're never going to be a legitimate challenge to the UFC. Imo they should offer fighters good terms and better terms than the UFC where possible and they'll keep hold of a lot of the roster that way. If some fighters are prepared to take a pay cut to go to the UFC and are desperate to go then let them imo, assuming they've done a fair amount for the company.

For example if a Patricio or a Lima got an offer from the UFC and Bellator stood in their way then to me that's bad business.
Basically the Chandler situation. He did enough for the company and they didn’t force him to stay.

I would also say in their current form they will never compete with UFC, but management changed, I think they have a way. Big media backer with a widely viewed channel (CBS) and relatively strong roster.

Basically the Chandler situation. He did enough for the company and they didn’t force him to stay.

I would also say in their current form they will never compete with UFC, but management changed, I think they have a way. Big media backer with a widely viewed channel (CBS) and relatively strong roster.

They still wouldn't compete, UFC is the sport to most people, but a solid number two is fine.

It depends on how you want to define compete. They can certainly be doing better then they are right now, that's for sure. Will they shift the market so that they're #1 in the space? Highly doubt it. I think best case scenario they wriggle some market share away from the UFC and create something that resembles Strikeforce in terms of popularity. A few cards on CBS per year which will hopefully drive some subscriptions to Showtime and improve those numbers. I think creative changes are in order though.

I think that is how they operate, though. Lima and Pitbull are not champs so they are not locked in contract. If they want to pursue free agency at the end of their contract they are free to do so. Whether they seek free agency or re-sign is a different story. The vast majority dont seek free agency and re-sign for the financial stability. Now, if you are saying that fighters should be allowed to leave at any moment, then I do not agree. Contracts exist for a reason and nobody is forced to sign with any promotion. If you sign a contract for however many fights, then you owe those fights. You are not doing them a favor by signing with them; they are paying good money for you to fight. Now, champions do get locked in and its a shit situation if they want to go.

Well I think it's really simple what they do. You can sign whatever contract you want for the development stage, you can even get paid relatively well, but you'll only face regional journeymen, they won't risk any top prospect or title eliminator/title fight on you. You want to fight highly ranked guys, you have to sign like a 3 year, 4 fight contract that will end with you maybe fighting for the title. If you lose you're free to go, if you win, you have to fight +3 fights or sit out one year. Now there can be some discussion about, is +3 fights too much? Should it just be +2 fights? Maybe if the champions clause added only 2 fights then fighters would fight out their contracts more often, or something.

But there do need to be contracts and there's nothing strange about a champions clause. The notion that once you sign anything with Bellator you're chained in a cell and can never make the UFC, that's simply an urban legend that some fighters are stupid enough to believe. Most fighters who stay with Bellator stay because they legitimately like Bellator. Like, I believe Storley's current contract is 30+30. That's good price. Depending on where he was in his career progression, the UFC would offer him 18+18, or 20+20, or 24+24, probably one of the latter two but probably not more. Perhaps he's a bit more frustrated with Bellator by now like Gegard that they can't find him any fights to actually pay out the contract, but in general Bellator is willing to pay a bit more to keep these fighters and they feel treated well.

Just yesterday the UFC card had three Bellator alums that I counted, and in fact they all won. Alonzo Menifield fought his debut fight in 2015 under Bellator and won against Ed Herman yesterday. Jessica Penne had 2 fights over 10 years ago. And Vince Morales fought twice for Bellator, once in 2016 when he was 3-1, once again in Sep. 2018 just two months after he had lost on the DWCS, and two months later he was in the UFC, and now he just picked up his second win in the promotion. So the top prospects should still come here and they're, to be frank, stupid if they don't. If you're afraid you'll come to like Bellator because you're treated and paid well, find something reasonable to be afraid of. And if you're afraid that Bellator is going to tie you down with secret clauses and shady maneuvers, I mean just do even a little bit of research and you'll realize that you're wrong. Look at last week's card even. Kai Kamaka, 2 Bellator fights latest one in Dec. 2019, fought in the UFC. Jason Witt, fought in Bellator in 2017 and actually lost, beat Bryan Barbarena in his most recent fight. Zarrukh Adashev, 3 fights in Bellator the latest in Oct. 2019, won his most recent fight against Ryan Benoit. The only situation where you can't jump over is if you win the championship and your contract is extended, or if you have fights left on your contract. If either is the case, that seems more like poor planning on your part than sneaky dealings by Bellator.

Well I think it's really simple what they do. You can sign whatever contract you want for the development stage, you can even get paid relatively well, but you'll only face regional journeymen, they won't risk any top prospect or title eliminator/title fight on you. You want to fight highly ranked guys, you have to sign like a 3 year, 4 fight contract that will end with you maybe fighting for the title. If you lose you're free to go, if you win, you have to fight +3 fights or sit out one year. Now there can be some discussion about, is +3 fights too much? Should it just be +2 fights? Maybe if the champions clause added only 2 fights then fighters would fight out their contracts more often, or something.

But there do need to be contracts and there's nothing strange about a champions clause. The notion that once you sign anything with Bellator you're chained in a cell and can never make the UFC, that's simply an urban legend that some fighters are stupid enough to believe. Most fighters who stay with Bellator stay because they legitimately like Bellator. Like, I believe Storley's current contract is 30+30. That's good price. Depending on where he was in his career progression, the UFC would offer him 18+18, or 20+20, or 24+24, probably one of the latter two but probably not more. Perhaps he's a bit more frustrated with Bellator by now like Gegard that they can't find him any fights to actually pay out the contract, but in general Bellator is willing to pay a bit more to keep these fighters and they feel treated well.

Just yesterday the UFC card had three Bellator alums that I counted, and in fact they all won. Alonzo Menifield fought his debut fight in 2015 under Bellator and won against Ed Herman yesterday. Jessica Penne had 2 fights over 10 years ago. And Vince Morales fought twice for Bellator, once in 2016 when he was 3-1, once again in Sep. 2018 just two months after he had lost on the DWCS, and two months later he was in the UFC, and now he just picked up his second win in the promotion. So the top prospects should still come here and they're, to be frank, stupid if they don't. If you're afraid you'll come to like Bellator because you're treated and paid well, find something reasonable to be afraid of. And if you're afraid that Bellator is going to tie you down with secret clauses and shady maneuvers, I mean just do even a little bit of research and you'll realize that you're wrong. Look at last week's card even. Kai Kamaka, 2 Bellator fights latest one in Dec. 2019, fought in the UFC. Jason Witt, fought in Bellator in 2017 and actually lost, beat Bryan Barbarena in his most recent fight. Zarrukh Adashev, 3 fights in Bellator the latest in Oct. 2019, won his most recent fight against Ryan Benoit. The only situation where you can't jump over is if you win the championship and your contract is extended, or if you have fights left on your contract. If either is the case, that seems more like poor planning on your part than sneaky dealings by Bellator.
I have no inside knowledge of how contracts their work, but what you described seems like a very accurate representation of their contracts. The last fighters that I remember that fought out their contracts were Fortune, Rosta, and Borics and the 3 seemed to be in a great position to test free agency but all ended up re-signing. Im assuming they didnt get a good enough offer from any promotion, including the UFC. It is very doubtful the UFC would have offered better money to these guys who are mostly known to hardcores. Financially, they are better off in Bellator.

Now, guys like AJ, Lima, Pitbull, and soon Nemkov would probably get offered pretty decent money. If other fighters want a decent offer from the UFC they need to put themselves in a better position in terms of popularity. Guys like Storley, Davies, and MVP would probably get a good offer, too because they would be pretty marketable.

I have no inside knowledge of how contracts their work, but what you described seems like a very accurate representation of their contracts. The last fighters that I remember that fought out their contracts were Fortune, Rosta, and Borics and the 3 seemed to be in a great position to test free agency but all ended up re-signing. Im assuming they didnt get a good enough offer from any promotion, including the UFC. It is very doubtful the UFC would have offered better money to these guys who are mostly known to hardcores. Financially, they are better off in Bellator.

Now, guys like AJ, Lima, Pitbull, and soon Nemkov would probably get offered pretty decent money. If other fighters want a decent offer from the UFC they need to put themselves in a better position in terms of popularity. Guys like Storley, Davies, and MVP would probably get a good offer, too because they would be pretty marketable.
I'm actually surprised MVP has stuck around as long as he has. He seems like the type of fighter Dana loves. They would give him stand up fighters and he would produce highlight KOs but probably never reach title contention, but like the 5-15 range

Yeah, I mean it's free agency, so it's usually when the fighters have a bit of leverage and they have the potential, at least, to get paid or overpaid.

The thing is, I've seen this misconception not just from fans but also heard it from fighters in interviews, and that annoys me more so than just fans like you and me having some misperceptions. I was listening to one fighter who shall not be named, who I root for but others think is perhaps a douche, in an interview and the interviewer mentioned that there were some fighters who went into Bellator at 0-0, and asked said fighter if he considered that. Said fighter said, basically, "I respect those fighters, but I'm not looking to be in a second class league, I'm looking to be in the UFC." Ok, where's the problem with that. Problem with that is that these are not mutually exclusive. You can start 0-0, or after like 2-0 or something in Bellator AND go to the UFC, in fact that's exactly what Alonzo Menifield did. And the promotion that he's opted for instead maybe offers 1+1, maybe. Maybe less if you're new. You do some early fights in Bellator, you're starting 4+4 right? So it's not even close. 6 grand is not a lot of money but it's not something I'd sneeze at, and over multiple fights, that multiplies. It's also another opportunity to stay active, if your promotion's cards are full or they're not planning that many shows, you want a quick turnaround. It's money for you and it's a chance to watch some good fights for us as fans, but to have that perception or that mindset that "a fight in Bellator will hold me back" that's just not helpful to either the fighter or the fans. And you can do both if you want, you can sign a 1 fight deal with Bellator, then go fight one fight if you want to be active soon after for another promotion, but the misconception I think holds some fighters back.

Just follow the news right? Like Chidi Njokuani is on DWCS this year, as is Chris Duncan, if either gets a finish then he might get in the UFC. Kemran Lachinov was on TUF. There are many roads to the UFC, and if it makes financial sense to go through Bellator then I'd say why not.

Yeah, I mean it's free agency, so it's usually when the fighters have a bit of leverage and they have the potential, at least, to get paid or overpaid.

The thing is, I've seen this misconception not just from fans but also heard it from fighters in interviews, and that annoys me more so than just fans like you and me having some misperceptions. I was listening to one fighter who shall not be named, who I root for but others think is perhaps a douche, in an interview and the interviewer mentioned that there were some fighters who went into Bellator at 0-0, and asked said fighter if he considered that. Said fighter said, basically, "I respect those fighters, but I'm not looking to be in a second class league, I'm looking to be in the UFC." Ok, where's the problem with that. Problem with that is that these are not mutually exclusive. You can start 0-0, or after like 2-0 or something in Bellator AND go to the UFC, in fact that's exactly what Alonzo Menifield did. And the promotion that he's opted for instead maybe offers 1+1, maybe. Maybe less if you're new. You do some early fights in Bellator, you're starting 4+4 right? So it's not even close. 6 grand is not a lot of money but it's not something I'd sneeze at, and over multiple fights, that multiplies. It's also another opportunity to stay active, if your promotion's cards are full or they're not planning that many shows, you want a quick turnaround. It's money for you and it's a chance to watch some good fights for us as fans, but to have that perception or that mindset that "a fight in Bellator will hold me back" that's just not helpful to either the fighter or the fans. And you can do both if you want, you can sign a 1 fight deal with Bellator, then go fight one fight if you want to be active soon after for another promotion, but the misconception I think holds some fighters back.

Just follow the news right? Like Chidi Njokuani is on DWCS this year, as is Chris Duncan, if either gets a finish then he might get in the UFC. Kemran Lachinov was on TUF. There are many roads to the UFC, and if it makes financial sense to go through Bellator then I'd say why not.
Im assuming you are talking about Ian Garry but I may be wrong. He openly said something very similar to what you said and he is quiet a douche lol. And I agree, there are many roads to the UFC but its quiet a miscinception that going to Bellator means being locked in a contract. The company doesnt do much to clear their name, though, so its a little bit on them, too.

Im assuming you are talking about Ian Garry but I may be wrong. He openly said something very similar to what you said and he is quiet a douche lol. And I agree, there are many roads to the UFC but its quiet a miscinception that going to Bellator means being locked in a contract. The company doesnt do much to clear their name, though, so its a little bit on them, too.

I don't even think Coker is that vindictive with the matching. For example Chandler had his last bout in August 2020 and then next month he signed his deal with the UFC. Chris Duncan had his last bout in October 2020 and he described him leaving Bellator as easy and a good time there

Back