Elections Biden Surges to 14-Point Lead Over Trump After First Debate

Can Trump come back this big, this late in the campaign?

• Total voters

Hollywood Jack

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Former Vice President Joe Biden’s national lead against President Donald Trump jumped to a nearly two-to-one margin after Sept. 29’s chaotic presidential debate, according to an NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll released Sunday.

The poll was conducted from Sept. 30 to Oct. 1, two days after the disorderly and caustic debate. The poll was completed just before the announcement that Trump had tested positive for the coronavirus and hospitalized at Walter Reed Military Medical Center in Bethesda, Maryland.

Biden now holds a 14-percentage-point lead against the president, with 53% of registered voters backing the Democratic nominee and 39% supporting Trump. The poll shows a 6-point jump for Biden from a Sept. 20 NBC/WSJ poll. Biden's biggest lead in the poll previously was in July at 11 points.

The biggest declines for Trump were among seniors and suburban women, who are now backing Biden 62%-35% and 58%-33%, respectively.

Forty-nine percent of voters say Biden did a better job at Tuesday’s debate compared to 24% who said Trump performed better. Seventeen percent didn't think either candidate did better than the other.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...lead-over-trump-after-debate-poll/3616228001/

While many people see parallels between Hillary's lead over Trump in 2016 and Biden's lead in 2020, there are key differences. Hillary wasn't up this big, this late. She didn't peak this late like Biden is (and this may not be Biden's peak, just his biggest lead so far). Trump was within the margin of error when he beat Hillary. He's not within the margin of error against Biden and isn't trending well. He won't be able to campaign for the next 10-14 days, and his style of campaigning is frowned upon given the current crisis and his own contraction of Corona and the spikes in cases surrounding his campaign rallies, most notably the death of Herman Cain. I don't see Trump coming back from this...

That may have been one of the worst Trump performances I've ever seen. I think only the most diehard supporters could defend how he acted like. No one likes people acting like that and even if you don't like Biden, it was so obnoxious that it may sway you in his direction just to not have that kind of personality in charge.

When Trump was calm and actually answered questions, he actually had several good moments. The constant childish interrupting negated any valid points he had.

That may have been one of the worst Trump performances I've ever seen. I think only the most diehard supporters could defend how he acted like. No one likes people acting like that and even if you don't like Biden, it was so obnoxious that it may sway you in his direction just to not have that kind of personality in charge.

When Trump was calm and actually answered questions, he actually had several good moments. The constant childish interrupting negated any valid points he had.
Trump seemed like a cornered animal. Desperate, and snapping at everyone and everything near him.

My 15 year old sister said Trump was faking the Coronavirus diagnosis because of how poorly he did in the debates and was looking for sympathy and excuses.....I told her she was "fake news" and nobody actually cares about the debates. I might need to go apologize to her.

Donald Trump died of covid. I would like see some polling that reflects this. How big of a lead does Biden have over Ghost Trump?

He just can't help himself if someone is talking about him. I read a long time ago that when Trump first got into office and they had meetings, he'd basically be tuned out because it had nothing to do with him so they'd throw a "Trump" in there to keep him engaged.

I'd like to think I don't have TDS like most people on the left. I think there are some areas Trump is good (trade and being mostly anti-war so far) but he's certainly an egomaniac and that's not who I want representing the country.

Ah yes, the polls!

I’m surprised they don’t just say Biden has a 99 percent chance to win like they did with Hillary.
In 2016, voters 50+ made up 45% of the electorate. They broke heavily for Donald Trump and that swung the election to him. He's doing HORRIBLY with them this time around. Trump got 53% of the 50+ vote in 2016 to 44% for Hillary. In 2020, Trump is down to 35% with Biden polling at 62%. Boomers and Silent Generation LOVES Uncle Joe. They HATED Hillary. That's what will swing this election to Biden...

https://blog.aarp.org/where-we-stand/50-voters-and-the-2016-election

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...lead-over-trump-after-debate-poll/3616228001/

Is this poll pre diagnosis?

Cause Trump fan boys are now clinging to the idea an abusive sociopath who has spent the last 6 years spewing toxic venom at everything that moves will garner enough sympathy to turn around the election.

Is this poll pre diagnosis?

Cause Trump fan boys are now clinging to the idea an abusive sociopath who has spent the last 6 years spewing toxic venom at everything that moves will garner enough sympathy to turn around the election.
Post debate, pre-diagnosis.

Ah yes, the polls!

I’m surprised they don’t just say Biden has a 99 percent chance to win like they did with Hillary.

My two month old looked right at me and said I lament that our egregious president acted in such an outlandish and dominant matter, but you are correct father in that corn pop did indeed seem to be lacking fervor and passion. The polls can’t be believed and are a tool for those that need their worst dream to be never more, never more...

This right after his 2pm snacky milk time

In 2016, voters 50+ made up 45% of the electorate. They broke heavily for Donald Trump and that swung the election to him. He's doing HORRIBLY with them this time around. Trump got 53% of the 50+ vote in 2016 to 44% for Hillary. In 2020, Trump is down to 35% with Biden polling at 62%. Boomers and Silent Generation LOVES Uncle Joe. They HATED Hillary. That's what will swing this election to Biden...

https://blog.aarp.org/where-we-stand/50-voters-and-the-2016-election

Wow more polls and stats!

Back