Biggest Failures in WWE

He was certainly better outside the WWF though.

Gonna go back and say the Red Rooster and Max Moon. Seemed like a lot of build up and work went into the characters, but no pay off.
i think at the time dusty was on his way out so they got the best dusty they could expect to get.
max moon is a good one

Gonna go back and say the Red Rooster and Max Moon. Seemed like a lot of build up and work went into the characters, but no pay off.

I don't think the Red Rooster gimmick was ever meant to get over. The old story is they were originally going to give Terry Taylor the Mr. Perfect gimmick, but Terry Taylor showed up to the company acting like he was the man and was gonna run the place, so Vince basically said "you want to strut like a rooster, we'll make you a rooster" and he gave the Mr. Perfect gimmick to Hennig instead.

They ran Brodus Clay vignettes for months showing him as this unstoppable badass. Then those disappeared and he debuted as the Funkasaurus. Although I’ve read he was supposed to get the Hall of Pain gimmick but couldn’t keep his mouth shut.

I don't think the Red Rooster gimmick was ever meant to get over. The old story is they were originally going to give Terry Taylor the Mr. Perfect gimmick, but Terry Taylor showed up to the company acting like he was the man and was gonna run the place, so Vince basically said "you want to strut like a rooster, we'll make you a rooster" and he gave the Mr. Perfect gimmick to Hennig instead.
Poor Terry, Curt crushed the Perfect character.

They ran Brodus Clay vignettes for months showing him as this unstoppable badass. Then those disappeared and he debuted as the Funkasaurus. Although I’ve read he was supposed to get the Hall of Pain gimmick but couldn’t keep his mouth shut.

It's a shame, 'cause the guy can work and is pretty athletic for his size. Could've been a Bam Bam type. So bizarre that he's a FOX News contributor now. Well, kind of bizarre for him, and kind of natural for FOX News.

Glacier wasn’t in WWE but by god did he shit the belt in WCW. Maybe not his fault.

Also Muta got royally fucked.

Sting.

I hate using him as an example but first WWE had him lose to HHH at Wrestlemania, which confused people because it didn't make sense for him to lose or shake HHH's hand at the end for that matter (likely another example of Vince stepping on WCW's grave) and in his next feud, he suffered a (for the time) career ending injury at the hands of Seth Rollins.

So over all WWE's Sting experiment was a failure.

Glacier wasn’t in WWE but by god did he shit the belt in WCW. Maybe not his fault.

Also Muta got royally fucked.
Poor Glacier debuted a year too late. 95 would’ve been perfect since MK was still hot and there would’ve been intrigue over him choosing Hogan’s side or the Dungeon of Doom.

I was going to say DDP however I watched Markyd's video on DDP's WWE career and while the first half was him being buried to the point he stopped getting crowd reactions, the second half after his Mr. Positivity gimmick was actually more successful to the point he actually started getting over with the crowd again and he does have a Wrestlemania win over Christian for the European title. It seems things were looking up before he suffered that nasty neck injury.

So DDP's WWE career was more of a 50/50.

It wasn’t Vader’s fault he was getting good crowd reactions. I’m going to say Marty Jannetty.
It was his fault for hiding a serious injury before signing and getting fat.

i think at the time dusty was on his way out so they got the best dusty they could expect to get.
max moon is a good one

Thats the thing, people always gotta criticize the polka dots and the gimmick(not pointing at you, just speaking in generalities) but 3 time NWA champ Dusty Rhodes was getting booed nonstop by this point, and a lot of the people that were booing him are the same ones that whine about the polka dots!

He was towards the end of his career, he wasnt gonna be top dog anywhere anymore, and he needed a new coat of paint
WWF comedy Dusty added a few years to the tail end of his career and he was over big in that promotion, a high midcard babyface in matches and feuds that still mattered

People like to forget all that and just pouty face over the polka dots, though

In terms of "hype" busts, he might be the #1. I mean shit, at least Ludvig Borga got to end Tatanka's streak. Glacier was a fuckin' joke once the promos ended.

Shane Douglas deserves a mention. Dude came in with a ton of hype, and was hamstringed by the Kliq, from the onset. Though, he doesn't seem to have done himself many favors either.

Lex Luger

Got the Hogan treatment for a bit but for some reason I remember Scott Steiner more during his whole Mr USA face run....Scott was still in a tag team, so that's a bad thing.... especially when Steiner was the first to bitch slap Yoko during the body slam challenge before he had to fake weaknesses.

Last edited:
Lol they hyped that Mordecai dude up like he was supposed to be the next Undertaker and he flopped miserably.

Orlando Jordan is another big flop, not necessarily from a fan perspective cause he kinda sucked and even 13 year old me knew this but WWE obviously had high hopes for him. They stuck him in JBL’s cabinet, put the US title on him and put him in their with big names like Undertaker.
Whatever they saw in him went away quick and he wound up getting squashed numerous times by Benoit.

Fandango has to probably be one of the biggest IMO - had that huge win over Jericho and just kind of floundered into obscurity.

You could probably put a lot of guys like Steiner DDP etc on the list but in all honesty they were doomed to fail under Vince coming from WCW. I can’t put them on my list without an asterisk because I feel they would’ve been successful had it not been for obvious reasons.

Lex Luger

Got the Hogan treatment for a bit but for some reason I remember Scott Steiner more during his whole Mr USA face run....Scott was still in a tag team, so that's a bad thing.... especially when Steiner was the first to bitch slap Yoko during the body slam challenge before he had to fake weaknesses.
luger came in as the narcissist complete with mirror gimmick. his face turn and lex express leading up to bodyslamming yoko on a ship was a big deal. they were gonna put the strap on that guy but thankfully they came to their senses and went with bret instead.

DaSfId6XUAAyzOm.jpg

vince had him do stuff like this at non-tapings to gauge crowd interest amd fan reactions.

Shane Douglas deserves a mention. Dude came in with a ton of hype, and was hamstringed by the Kliq, from the onset. Though, he doesn't seem to have done himself many favors either.
what kid is gonna want to turn on wrestling and see their home room english teacher?

41187875211.jpg

dean screwed dean.

Back