Boar/Pig/Hog hunting calibers

You can find 300blk for around $2 a rnd and over here your lucky to get .223 ammo for the same price.
A Howa mini action with a 16 inch barrel would be a good and cheap set up
I've got a Howa .223 short action. I can pick up PMC 77gr $24 for 20 rounds at my local.
Remington Core-lokt 30-30 for roughly the same
Compare that to 6.5 creedmore $62 for 20 lol

I've got a Howa .223 short action. I can pick up PMC 77gr $24 for 20 rounds at my local.
Remington Core-lokt 30-30 for roughly the same
Compare that to 6.5 creedmore $62 for 20 lol
That's cheap as fuck for 30-30.

223 ammos gone through the roof aswell. 3 or so years agom you could buy 500 rnds Hornady sp for $350

Last edited:
Saw two large pigs yesterday but they were playing silly buggers and we only got glimpses of them pulling berries down in the lantana because the grass is 4.5 foot high. Shame but that's hunting after a years worth of rain. I took the .223 out hoping to stretch its legs but spent more time pointing the 30-30 at moving lantana bushes hoping they'd come around the side where we could see them clearly to take a shot.
IMG_20221127_162400.jpg

Handled 1 of the tempelton button release shotguns the other day, there a nice piece of kit and you can them out quick, IMO they cycle faster than a pumpy
We got the pig yesterday with the Bushmeister, my bud bought one. I'll probably get one of them I think they're less likely to be banned over the button release ones. Nice bit of kit recoil is definitely less punishing with 3 inch magnums than a over under lol.

.223 and 5,56X45 in my area are 1,25-2,35 EUR per 1 piece....

To kill with this 100 lbs and even 150 lbs pig is easily while enough large pig might run after will get shot... some mabye 100 ft or even 1000 + yards... after this.

.223 and 5,56X45 in my area are 1,25-2,35 EUR per 1 piece....

To kill with this 100 lbs and even 150 lbs pig is easily while enough large pig might run after will get shot... some mabye 100 ft or even 1000 + yards... after this.
We are generally hunting and shooting at ranges of 20 - 80 yards. Grass is so high lately that we've generally been seeing them at 10 yards. So lately we've just switched to 12 gauge and I'm just using the .44 magnum every week.

We are generally hunting and shooting at ranges of 20 - 80 yards. Grass is so high lately that we've generally been seeing them at 10 yards. So lately we've just switched to 12 gauge and I'm just using the .44 magnum every week.

Yeah....
For close range hunters here prefer to use 12 gauge stuff... pref 2 barrels smoothbore gun.
Or something for rifled barrel more powerful than 7,62x51 or 7,62x54 ....

Cos hunting is on licenses and one stuff is municipal or gov forest, another stuff is if this land belongs to private landlord ....
These might not gave next permit if hunters failed to collect animals bodies...
* on private land u need landlord's permit and permit from gubbermint & forester...
* on gov land : permit from gubbermint & forester.

With deer is more problematic: if animal is wounded....license is gone anyway....had been collected or no.
Deer here is on numbers for license...

Large pig imho is far more tough than deer... might be even till some 200-220 lbs...
+ pigs create more problems for farmers businesses than other wild animals....

Anything with sufficient penetration to go through hide and bone and hit vitals (CNS, heart, aorta) is well enough for putting down boars.

5.56 will work just great provided you've got a long barrel for velocity (20-24+ in.) and heavier bullets with good sectional density (like TSX or TBBC).

Semi-automatic is best for potentially dangerous game like hogs, for quick follow up shots when needed.

A micro-bolometer sight for your long arm makes for a significant quality of life difference when hunting at night, letting you simply aim and shoot without having to give yourself away with spotlights.

Last edited:
Ofc, for example 5,56 mm bullet can kill large wild pig etc.

While there are thing called stopping power.
It was well researched during period like 1900-1945 and was reason why caliber for handguns used by police and agents & military caliber had been increased.

Soviets had used 7,62 mm Nagant and 7,62 ( 7,63 ) Mauser and TT.
After WW2 they had opted to develop 9*18 mm cartridge and PM & APS pistols.

While of course Mauser and TT with 7,62*25 cartridge had good penteration and to kill from these someone from 60 meters distance was possible.

Germans too had Mauser with 7,62*25, pistols chambered with 32 APC and these with 38 APC ( 9*17 ) and Para ( 9*19 ).
Later decided that 9*17 and 9*19 are more effective for 1 shot fast stoppage.

U.S in end of 1930 ies too had reccomended to use at least 38 cal revolvers or pistols chambered with 9*17 or 9*19 rounds or something in larger calibers than these.

Not all shots are ideally precise and the lesser distance animal will walk after is get shot, the better.

In some hunters circles the more efforts from mates you will need to collect animal from bushes somewhere, the more reward you should gave them for their efforts.

Shot these 2 last night, hit a big boar with the 1st shot but he got back up and hit the scrub.IMG_20230103_204154~2.jpg

We got the pig yesterday with the Bushmeister, my bud bought one. I'll probably get one of them I think they're less likely to be banned over the button release ones. Nice bit of kit recoil is definitely less punishing with 3 inch magnums than a over under lol.
Are you liking the Bush Meister? I'm going to trade my lever for ether the Bushmeister or the Templeton T2000, I like the Templeton better but I can pick up a Bushmeister alot cheaper. Decisions decisions.

Shot these 2 last night, hit a big boar with the 1st shot but he got back up and hit the scrub.View attachment 961056
What did you get them with?

Are you liking the Bush Meister? I'm going to trade my lever for ether the Bushmeister or the Templeton T2000, I like the Templeton better but I can pick up a Bushmeister alot cheaper. Decisions decisions.
Bushmeister works great, I've got no complaints about it other than the cerekote they use is quite thin and I wouldn't expect it to survive past a couple of years before needing to be redone. The Templeton and the Bushmeister are made in factories in the same street, so I hazard the only difference is placement of the button. Personally I think the lever would be easier to manipulate than the button on the Templeton and the button on the Buckmaster PBwhatever is likely in a better spot than both.

What did you get them with?

Bushmeister works great, I've got no complaints about it other than the cerekote they use is quite thin and I wouldn't expect it to survive past a couple of years before needing to be redone. The Templeton and the Bushmeister are made in factories in the same street, so I hazard the only difference is placement of the button. Personally I think the lever would be easier to manipulate than the button on the Templeton and the button on the Buckmaster PBwhatever is likely in a better spot than both.
They where shot with a Howa 223 with a I-aiming thermal on top.

I like the where the button on the tempelton is as Im a bigger guy and my thumb sits perfectly on the tang where the button is situated.

They where shot with a Howa 223 with a I-aiming thermal on top.

I like the where the button on the tempelton is as Im a bigger guy and my thumb sits perfectly on the tang where the button is situated.
I would love a high quality thermal, all I have right now is a thermal monocular. I just don't know what gun I'd put a thermal scope on. Maybe on the Marlin and give purists a heart attack.

Back