Social Boston cancels advanced classes (be less white, and Asian while you're at it)

This is just plain wrong.

It is nearly all down to parental involvement and expectations. Many black kids excell at sports because they practice it a lot, and they have many heroes in the field. That means they don't need to be told/forced to practice.

Almost no kids are like "let's do math" their parents make them. Asian parents generally do not accept mediocrity. That's why they excel.

Wrong huh?

So boxing, baseball, football and all other american that started with all whites...( You know because they didn't allow others to participate)

All change because whites didn't practice and have hero's in the sport they were all majority in? ALL those sports had their hero's in them lol.

So when minorites actually got to at against them we obviously seen what happened over time. We see who dominates those sports overall.

And your excuse was because whites didn't have hero's in sports like blacks...

I know you don't believe that bobo.

Uh, yes.

Wtf are you talking about?

Academics means you have standards.

You don't get more equality by lowering the standards, you get it by gradually giving other groups more resources so they can get to the standards. Even then there may still be differences and that's just the way it may be.

Can't believe I'm having to explain this to an adult.

Lmao, he was being sarcastic

Agree. That's why I said no one group is more intelligent than another.

That's simply not true. On average Ashkenazi Jews are more intelligent than East Asians who are smarter than whites, then Hispanics, then blacks. Not surprisingly, this coincides with the scholastic testing requirements to be admitted to Universities in many cases where Asians must score higher than whites and so on down the line. It just isn't talked about as it's such a sensitive subject which means many people are probably ignorant which explains why they attribute black underperformance to racism.

So when minorites actually got to at against them we obviously seen what happened over time. We see who dominates those sports overall.

Yes. Descendants of slaves. Ever notice how black athletes from Africa aren't dominant at all in sport, besides long distance runners from a very specific part of east Africa? Look at all the great black athletes - they're virtually all of slave descent (American, West Indian, Brazilian etc etc). Michael Johnson did a documentary on it - 'Survival of the Fastest'. Muhammad Ali once remarked that black dominance in boxing was a result of blacks being "bred for it", in other words their dominance is a result of slavery.

Does China have an advanced class for 9 year olds? I assumed they didn't split students up until later when they had more of an established base. Of course wealthier kids there get a lot of extra tutoring outside of regular school and that gets them in to top schools at a much higher rate when they do get to that age.

Can someone on the right explain the reasoning behind this decision and then give an alternate solution to the problem that doesn't hurt more intelligent kids? That way 1. I know you understand what it's trying to achieve and 2. you meet in the middle and show you care about education for everyone, especially if you think you know better.

I'm not on the right, but I am a teacher, and I think that you're making some fairly large assumptions that may not be as firmly based in fact as you believe them to be.

The first is the assumption about advanced education in China. As you would imagine, the Chinese government is very invested in the idea that all children in the nation have the same education opportunities, and have been endorsing standardized education since the revolution... but in practice China has some of the most unequal educational outcomes on the planet. They still have a large segment of the population who are illiterate and even relatively innumerate, and on the other end of the spectrum produce some of the most mathematically, linguistically, and scientifically gifted people in the world. I've taught a number of kids from China (and other Asian nations) and they would assure you that streaming for ability is very real and is a huge factor in the pressure to perform that students face in those nations. If you are not at the top, you get left behind in a multitude of ways.

The second is the assumption that this particular policy decision in Boston is based entirely or primarily on concerns about racial equity and outcomes.

So, first, yes I do understand the race based reasoning behind the decision. Programs that result in segregated demographics, funneling the majority of students of one or two racial backgrounds into an advanced track, while funneling the majority of students from one or two other racial backgrounds into a remedial track, can become self fulfilling. Students learn from one another and develop classroom cultures together. If the culture of the classroom is to have a growth mindset, believing that a scholarly attitude and work ethic will lead to eventual success, the individual in that classroom will adopt that mindset. Likewise, if the culture of the classroom is one of disinterest and defeatism, the individual in that classroom will develop that mindset. When streaming for ability turns into racially segregated classrooms you effectively ghettoize the remedial group, undermining their opportunities to improve by cuing off of students with a healthy growth mindset. This is a problem. No doubt.

Now back to your assumption that this is the only, or primary concern being addressed in this decision. The truth of the matter is that North American education systems have a deep systemic bias against high achieving students.

Curriculum documents are written specifically for the average student. Teachers are hired based on their ability to teach to the average student. Courses are paced and constructed around the pace and interests of the average student. The entire infrastructure is built around the goal of the average student maximizing their learning and performance potential.

Struggling (or, as we now call them, 'striving') students are likewise catered to. They are given extra support, through resource teachers and educational assistants. Break-out rooms are built for them. They are regularly tested and analyzed so that courses can be tailored to their needs by their teachers. In the province where I teach, some students have adjusted or individualized programs that require their teachers to plan specific methods for ensuring that struggling students will meet the course outcomes as tailored to their specific capabilities, again with the goal of maximizing their learning and performance potential.

Gifted students get none of this. The curriculums aren't written for them; the teachers aren't trained to teach them; the pacing isn't set for them. And yet they don't receive accommodations of any sort. No educational assistants to help challenge them beyond the curricular requirements. No breakout rooms where they can work at their own pace. No requirement whatsoever that the teacher adjust or individualize their program to fit their capabilities. The clear fact is that the system has no interest in any sort of goal toward maximizing their learning and performance potential.

Gifted students are the only students in the system for whom this is true. Their saving grace is that there are individual teachers in the system with advanced degrees who make the effort, beyond the efforts and objectives of the system itself, to create courses and course work that will challenge and engage these kids. That and each other, because there is nothing quite so beneficial as a group of likeminded and similarly gifted peers to bring out the best in a student. And if the stars align just right, there may even be an advanced program where these teachers and these peers come together and, finally, these students get to work toward the goal of maximizing their own learning and performance potential.

That's going away rapidly, though, and it's not entirely because of race, but largely because the system hates that these sorts of students exist. Their existence undermines the philosophy that it is possible to create a system where all students achieve the same level of success.

I don’t buy that at all. Being good at math requires daily practice more than any natural ability. Usually kids aren’t motivated on their own. My theory is less parental involvement.

Less parental involvement, as well as differing levels of parental ability, combined with a variety of other social and environmental factors. Though it should be said that while a strong understanding of math, much like that of language, has to do with learning the rules, whether that be memorizing tables or another systemization, has to do with learning the foundation through repetition (learning the process and the underlying rules), significant high achievement seems to have a huge degree to do with less substantial factors, as most truly amazing mathematicians describe “flashes” of insight, understanding equations through the visualization of colours, and other completely un-trainable methods.

Agree. That's why I said no one group is more intelligent than another.

That’s not a logical conclusion to draw from your earlier point.

Less parental involvement, as well as differing levels of parental ability, combined with a variety of other social and environmental factors. Though it should be said that while a strong understanding of math, much like that of language, has to do with learning the rules, whether that be memorizing tables or another systemization, has to do with learning the foundation through repetition (learning the process and the underlying rules), significant high achievement seems to have a huge degree to do with less substantial factors, as most truly amazing mathematicians describe “flashes” of insight, understanding equations through the visualization of colours, and other completely un-trainable methods.

That’s not a logical conclusion to draw from your earlier point.

Sure it is. I said every human on different continent have contributed to the world in some way.

It is when one group kept others from being educated for hundred of years.

Not in Africa. Why are blacks living in the exact same conditions wherever they are in the world? In fact, they're better off in the West than they are in black majority countries. So much for oppression, lol. Blacks migrate to the West for a better life. You don't migrate to a country you're going to be oppressed in. Do you see gay people migrating to Saudi Arabia?

Blacks are able to prove they can compete with other races in intellectual pursuits today. They have that freedom. So, why aren't they able to?

If so ,we can debate what technology, ideas and inventions originated from.

Can you name some great black philosophers?

Yes. Descendants of slaves. Ever notice how black athletes from Africa aren't dominant at all in sport, besides long distance runners from a very specific part of east Africa? Look at all the great black athletes - they're virtually all of slave descent (American, West Indian, Brazilian etc etc). Michael Johnson did a documentary on it - 'Survival of the Fastest'. Muhammad Ali once remarked that black dominance in boxing was a result of blacks being "bred for it", in other words their dominance is a result of slavery.

Not sure if serious.

That's probably because in Africa that actually have more important things to concentrate than playing sports all day...

You see people like Francis in mma and really believe that's their not thousands of athletes like him in Africa.. I mean he said himself there's alot of them there.

Now to you slave theory. Do you know how long it takes for genetics to change or evolve through animals and humans? I can tell you it takes more that a few hundred years.

You don't know what your talking about lol.

I'm not on the right, but I am a teacher, and I think that you're making some fairly large assumptions that may not be as firmly based in fact as you believe them to be.

The first is the assumption about advanced education in China. As you would imagine, the Chinese government is very invested in the idea that all children in the nation have the same education opportunities, and have been endorsing standardized education since the revolution... but in practice China has some of the most unequal educational outcomes on the planet. They still have a large segment of the population who are illiterate and even relatively innumerate, and on the other end of the spectrum produce some of the most mathematically, linguistically, and scientifically gifted people in the world. I've taught a number of kids from China (and other Asian nations) and they would assure you that streaming for ability is very real and is a huge factor in the pressure to perform that students face in those nations. If you are not at the top, you get left behind in a multitude of ways.

The second is the assumption that this particular policy decision in Boston is based entirely or primarily on concerns about racial equity and outcomes.

So, first, yes I do understand the race based reasoning behind the decision. Programs that result in segregated demographics, funneling the majority of students of one or two racial backgrounds into an advanced track, while funneling the majority of students from one or two other racial backgrounds into a remedial track, can become self fulfilling. Students learn from one another and develop classroom cultures together. If the culture of the classroom is to have a growth mindset, believing that a scholarly attitude and work ethic will lead to eventual success, the individual in that classroom will adopt that mindset. Likewise, if the culture of the classroom is one of disinterest and defeatism, the individual in that classroom will develop that mindset. When streaming for ability turns into racially segregated classrooms you effectively ghettoize the remedial group, undermining their opportunities to improve by cuing off of students with a healthy growth mindset. This is a problem. No doubt.

Now back to your assumption that this is the only, or primary concern being addressed in this decision. The truth of the matter is that North American education systems have a deep systemic bias against high achieving students.

Curriculum documents are written specifically for the average student. Teachers are hired based on their ability to teach to the average student. Courses are paced and constructed around the pace and interests of the average student. The entire infrastructure is built around the goal of the average student maximizing their learning and performance potential.

Struggling (or, as we now call them, 'striving') students are likewise catered to. They are given extra support, through resource teachers and educational assistants. Break-out rooms are built for them. They are regularly tested and analyzed so that courses can be tailored to their needs by their teachers. In the province where I teach, some students have adjusted or individualized programs that require their teachers to plan specific methods for ensuring that struggling students will meet the course outcomes as tailored to their specific capabilities, again with the goal of maximizing their learning and performance potential.

Gifted students get none of this. The curriculums aren't written for them; the teachers aren't trained to teach them; the pacing isn't set for them. And yet they don't receive accommodations of any sort. No educational assistants to help challenge them beyond the curricular requirements. No breakout rooms where they can work at their own pace. No requirement whatsoever that the teacher adjust or individualize their program to fit their capabilities. The clear fact is that the system has no interest in any sort of goal toward maximizing their learning and performance potential.

Gifted students are the only students in the system of whom this is true. Their saving grace is that there are individual teachers in the system with advanced degrees who make the effort, beyond the efforts and objectives, of the system itself, to create courses and course work that will challenge and engage these kids. That and each other, because there is nothing quite so beneficial as a group of likeminded and similarly gifted peers to bring out the best in a student. And if the stars align just right, there may even be an advanced program where these teachers and these peers come together and, finally, these students get to work toward the goal of maximizing their own learning and performance potential.

That's going away rapidly, though, and it's not entirely because of race, but largely because the system hates that these sorts of students exist. Their existence undermines the philosophy that it is possible to create a system where all students achieve the same level of success.

quick question do american schools have say maths one, two and three. is that not going to segregate the classrooms ????

i think your wrong, the nerds are not of any benefit to the less academically minded.

Not in Africa. Why are blacks living in the exact same conditions wherever they are in the world? In fact, they're better off in the West than they are in black majority countries. So much for oppression, lol. Blacks migrate to the West for a better life. You don't migrate to a country you're going to be oppressed in. Do you see gay people migrating to Saudi Arabia?

Blacks are able to prove they can compete with other races in intellectual pursuits today. They have that freedom. So, why aren't they able to?

Can you name some great black philosophers?

I guess Elon musk and others who came from Africa m and nothing huh? The entire Continent doesn't have modern technology right? There are poor parts of Africa just like wealthy parts.

Same as here in America. I'm sure you can go down south and see the same disadvantages. Smh

Sure it is. I said every human on different continent have contributed to the world in some way.

Perhaps i’m misunderstanding you. I easily could have missed a post or two of your reasoning, but my understanding of your claim is as follows in two parts:

1-You put forward the idea that every group of humans has contributed something to the developement of the modern world.

2-you then asserted this was proof of every definable historical group having equal intelligence?

Correct me if I missed a post somewhere.

Thank the chinese for helping the weak compete and thrive,haaà haaaa .

You need intelligence to compete & thrive in this world. Also, Europeans had great armies long before the gun was invented.

Wrong huh?

So boxing, baseball, football and all other american that started with all whites...( You know because they didn't allow others to participate)

All change because whites didn't practice and have hero's in the sport they were all majority in? ALL those sports had their hero's in them lol.

And your excuse was because whites didn't have hero's in sports like blacks...

I know you don't believe that bobo.

Boxing, the klitchkos dominated for a decade. Isn't the current HW champ white? Today it's a dead'ish sport. Nowadays mma has taken its place and it's pretty diverse.

baseball? I thought we were talking about athletes...

football is fairly diverse with certain races tending to excel at things they are naturally gifted at (white lineman with strength, blacks in speed positions)

There is no doubt that certain races excel at certain things. Strongmen are generally white, runners black. However most sports require multiple talents, which is where practice comes in.

White and especially Asian parents are concerned with academics first. More and more whites are pulling away from physical sports because their parents are pussies and can't stand the idea of Timmy getting hurt.

Back