Law California law would fine department stores $1,000 for separating toys by gender

The option of buying barbies for boys and GI Joes/etc. for girls is always there. Why create a law that forces both the store and the parents to conform?
Two reasons: (1) virtue signaling; (2) It’s a trapdoor for conservative politicians attempting to limit government intrusion. Which sounds better: “don’t vote for him; he wants to preserve human rights” or “don’t vote for him; he voted against legislation designed to bring equality to the transgender community.”

The option of buying barbies for boys and GI Joes/etc. for girls is always there. Why create a law that forces both the store and the parents to conform?
Didn't say I was in favor of any law.

Then why separate it? I don't have a firm opinion on it, but I know a lot of girls who would have preferred boy toys.
Then take them to the boys' section?

Why even have racks for anything anymore either? Just have distributors make their deliveries in dump trucks and empty everything into a pile in the middle of the store so shoppers can sift through a mishmash of clothes, toys, electronics, kitchenware, bedding. Let's just turn shopping for gifts into an all day affair because there's a kid with a lisp who plays with barbies. My dog ate toilet paper, so why the hell isn't toilet paper in the pet section?

Then take them to the boys' section?

Why even have racks for anything anymore either? Just have distributors make their deliveries in dump trucks and empty everything into a pile in the middle of the store so shoppers can sift through a mishmash of clothes, toys, electronics, kitchenware, bedding. Let's just turn shopping for gifts into an all day affair because there's a kid with a lisp who plays with barbies. My dog ate toilet paper, so why the hell isn't toilet paper in the pet section?
Plenty of stores here have most of the toys mixed. Outdoor section, sports, board games, themed (star wars etc) and then there's a barbie aisle and so on. it's not rigidly boys/girls. Nobody cares.

With California's harsh lock downs i doubt all that many people are out shopping there. One would hope law makers would have better things to be concerned about.

Not being able to separate mens and women's clothing from each other would make for a confusing shopping experience. I imagine if that proposal came into law tere would be fewer store shoppers and instead online cloths shop would see an uptick in buyers - Which maybe that is the purpose.

I was reading the other day how some of the race and gender mentions has been good cover for corporate shenanigans.

Race and gender rhetoric is the perfect cover for corporate misdeeds

https://nypost.com/2021/02/24/race-and-gender-rhetoric-is-the-perfect-cover-for-corporate-misdeeds/

excerpt:

Every ruling class sustains a myth to legitimate its rule. What distinguishes America’s corporate elite and its legitimating myth — wokeness and endless self-flagellation about “equity” — is a galling dishonesty married to rapacious greed.

For a stark illustration, consider the financial giant Citigroup.

In September, as protests and race riots gripped the nation, Citi published a study claiming that racism has cost the United States $16 trillion. The bank’s then-vice chairman, Raymond McGuire, contributed a pained and pious introduction.

Citigroup also announced Jane Fraser as its new CEO in September, making her the first female boss of a major Wall Street bank. Thus, as progressives applauded yet another corporate entry into the register of social justice, it went mostly unnoticed that federal regulators fined the bank $400 million the following month.

The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, a regulatory agency within the US Treasury, said this penalty is “based on the bank’s unsafe or unsound banking practices for its long-standing failure to establish effective risk-management and data-governance programs and internal controls.” Regulators were curiously vague about the specifics. Fraser, as the financial press delicately put it, was “saddled” with a cleanup job.

From 2015 to 2019, Fraser served as chief executive of Citi’s Latin-American region. During her tenure, the bank paid $10.5 million in penalties to the Securities and Exchange Commission. “The charges stem from $81 million of losses due to trader mismarking and unauthorized proprietary trading and $475 million of losses due to fraudulently-induced loans made by a Mexican subsidiary,” the SEC said in a statement on Aug. 16, 2018.

Those penalties came a month after Citigroup reached an agreement with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau to pay $335 million in restitution to credit-card customers. The bank failed to reevaluate and reduce the annual percentage rates after periodic account reviews, as required by law, for approximately 1.75 million customers.

It’s hard to avoid the impression that Citi’s race-and-gender agonies — the study on racism, the female CEO — were meant to cover misconduct for which the firm has been repeatedly fined.

Silicon Valley follows a similar template......

It seems easy to work around this law for me. Keep boy and girls section of toys separate and if someone says anything about the law just tell them "We are separating these toys by sex not gender" Think about it, sex is defined by the genitalia you have and according to the woketevists gender isn't.

Then why separate it? I don't have a firm opinion on it, but I know a lot of girls who would have preferred boy toys.
They aren't barred though. Not here. Kids usually go up and down each toy aisle and look at what they want. Sounds like the parents may have steered the kids. The stores naturally group to grab the most cash according to age gender interest etc.

Anyone with an ounce of sanity needs to leave California by the summer and head elsewhere. That state is heading down the toilet within 2yrs, it's gonna be an asylum. Any State that is prioritising stuff like this as important over cleaning up its streets and dealing with its infestation of homeless people, is an evil entity with sinister intentions.
They are all currently coming to texas....

It's one thing to be accepting of peoples differences, its another to force feed it down peoples throats while simultaneously eliminating established norms.

These idiots want us to adopt 100's of new pronouns yet can't cope with MR Potato Head. WTF?

I really don't think people are asking for this too, it seems like a coordinated FORCED effort from the top down.

This really does seem to be the case.

It's hard to imagine the majority of people actually being on board with this insanity. Then again, as @Papi Chulo pointed out, this gender identity madness was a major part of the Dem's platform, so this is what every Dem voted for.

All that said, when you take a good look at what's going on, it really is strikingly like what would be expected to happen with the kind of ideological attacks Yuri described. The madness makes sense, when put into the context of intentional sabotage.

well, it is your opinion we dont need the government to do things. clearly we do as you cant trust people to do the right thing in many cases. that is why there is rampant racism and transphobia running rampant among so many other things. the government is unfortunately needed to protect us from ourselves in many cases, such as this.

imagine you are a young child confused on whether you are a boy, girl, bigender, aliagender or anything else and you go to the toy section and you are told there are only toys for boys or girls and things are assigned ONLY those 2 genders? maybe the kid likes trucks, but feels he is any of the other 60+ genders that are not male? Do you see how confusing and potentially damaging that can be?

So, a few things here:

(1) I think we need some government intervention in certain situations. I even gave an example, "lead paint on toys". The government telling a store owner how to organize his store is too much government intervention.
(2) The example you've given has nothing to do with the legislation being proposed. In the history of toy stores, no toy store owner has ever said to a child "there are only toys for boys and girls and things are assigned ONLY those 2 genders." And even if the proposed legislation was adopted, how would that stop or prevent someone from telling a boy that a dollhouse is a "girls toy"?
(3) I think a lot of the extreme left is far more concerned with using virtue signaling and increasing governmental control than they are focused on actually resolving a problem. Let's say we have a store owner that's on the fence about these transgender issues. Then he gets hit with a fine b/c he didn't put cap guns next to doll houses. Then he experiences a loss in profits b/c his customers can't find what they're looking for. Do you expect this legislation to have the effect of making that store owner more compassionate towards transgenders?

Last edited:
While I think good arguments can be made for stores to not separate toys by gender there is no reason for the government to be involved in the change. Culture wars issues like this should be decided organically by the people involved as long as no ones rights are being violated. That being said , it’s California so if the people of that state think this kind of law represent some their values who am i to say? I’m pretty sure this wouldn’t fly in my state.

Back