Media Dana White: "We're working it out" regarding Wonderboy pay issue

Do you think Wonderboy will get paid?

• Total voters
Of course UFC’s contracts are completely in their favor and they’re not obligated to pay, but we all know this is scummy business. Fighters need to demand guarantees in these instances. They should have 3 options.

1. Paid show money. Counts as fight fulfilled on contract.
2. Accept fight, get bonus money from opponent’s purse plus potential for win/performance bonus.
3. Accept another named opponent in the near future with potential for win/performance bonus.

This guarantees they are compensated regardless but with the ability to “bet on themselves” to get higher pay days.

League teams are in charge of their own players health, nutrition, training, everything. Of course they take care of their players under their care. They need them to win games for them and so have a vested interest.

Completely different than a promotion which is just promoting the bout. They have nothing to do with them before the bout.

What if they just offered to offset their healthcare expenses during the injured period, lol

Thompson did work....he held up his end of his contract up untill the fight part...or in the construction scenario we did our part till the concrete truck not doing his part...

This happens all the time on construction sites its how projects go over budget ...because multiple contractor's cant get there shit together...or be professional enough to do what they said they would on the day they would ...

If i had to pour a slab and the concrete guy didnt show up but my guys were on site ready and did form work and prep work for the pour ...you beat ur ass im charging my client for the day ... And telling them that the other contractor for the concrete is to blame ... And he can recoup from him .. im not paying my crew out of pocket becusse some dumbass concrete guy cant show up on time and honor his contract lol .. .

I think Thompson should be paid something too but your analogy really only if the bid was put in on time and materials. If you have a contracted price for a project you're certainly not going to be paid an extra days labor for all the guys at the end of the job. I have 23 years in construction myself

He did everything outlined in his contract, it is not his fault the UFC had nobody for him to fight. They told him they would.

He'll get compensated but probably not $250K. I can appreciate the points from both sides.
Did UFC have a backup fighter ready to go?
If so, I suspect they could have still put on a fight between Pereira & Fight X if Thompson refused to fight Fighter X. That probably would've improved the situation for the fans, at least, and given UFC more leverage as to why they shouldn't pay Thompson.

Last edited:
dude how deep into this forrest are you going to go to get muddled into the details

stephen isn't getting paid his fight money because he didn't fight

UFC is literally paying for your "day" for your workers that showed up to work but the concrete truck didn't show. they're paying WB's camp fees and what not

they aren't paying you for the paved driveway that isn't paved just because you showed up and did nothing. they're offsetting your wasted time and willing to pay you to do the job another day.

there's a contract in place and it involves fighting. if you don't fight you don't get your fight money, that's fucking ridiculous to expect unless you're just expecting charity. dana's explanation was totally reasonable, assuming it's true.

If they do indeed cover his expenses and stuff then that changes
No he didn't do work. A bout agreement states that a fighter is to be compensated for a completed bout.
Being on weight is a pre-condition necessary to his job. This isn't that hard to understand.
How is this such a big deal!? A lawyer doesn't get paid for having a law degree. A pilot doesn't get paid for posessing a pilot's license. A bus driver cannot be blind. These are preconditions for their respective jobs. But none of these get paid without doing actual work. They get paid for doing their job AND need to fullfill certain criteria to do that job in the first place. There's no JUST fullfilling the criteria.
A bus driver won't get paid for being able to see without ever driving a bus.

They offered WB an immediate replacement and he didn't want that either. Fair enough, his choice. They are willing to reimburse his training camp expenses. Why do you want him to get paid so bad?
He could get a new matchup every single week. Then he could actually fight for his purse. A couple of weeks delay shouldn't be that terrible for a guy who doesn't fight more than twice a year.

Listen if your argument is he should be compensated for his time invested and money spent to show up on weight...then i dont disagree ..thats good enough if he does indeed fight soon ..

My argument is against those who are claiming he deserves nothing ...

Theres an argument he could deserve full pay ...but that will come down to contact language which no1 here has .. and sense people were so shit to real fighters on here we dont have inside sources anymore ... .

He absolutely should have some form compensation if you agree with that then so be it..we cool

Insanely rich company, with insanely rich higher ups fuck over the employees who make the product.

Nothing to see here - oh well musk and zuckerberg are distracting the world by pretending to be fighters while the ufc plays ball (I went to the SLC event and they were selling musk vs zuckerberg shirts <LikeReally5><{clintugh}><Huh2><WhatIsThis><This7><mma3><{cruzshake}><{hughesimpress}><{nope}>
<KhabibBS>)

I think Thompson should be paid something too but your analogy really only if the bid was put in on time and materials. If you have a contracted price for a project you're certainly not going to be paid an extra days labor for all the guys at the end of the job. I have 23 years in construction myself

Absolutely, contracts matter..

Something we dont know when it comes to the UFC and its Fighters...no public record unfortunately for them..

But you are correct a total sum or all in price contract would mean i would be fucked by the truck not showing up...but I would in turn be hiring said truck and i would be in control of whos coming aka not a unprofessional Michel of the construction world lol.

BS. He showed up ready - it’s not his fault his opponent did not.

God, I hate this garbage organization sometimes. Their greed and lack of respect for fighters is despicable.

It also sets a messed up precedent if you force guys into taking fights if they want to get paid. Might as well show up at 205 to fight at WW.
Wait, aren't they fighters? Aren't they supposed to fight for money? Isn't that like.....the whole point?

It's what I said all along, you don't show up, choose not to fight, and get six figures.

Damn Dana maybe not pay him 250k but atleast cover the guys expenses for the fight camp plus a little more on top for the next few months, i think dana doesnt put himself in his fighters shoes and doesnt understand thst some of them really go from paycheck to pahcheck

Wait, aren't they fighters? Aren't they supposed to fight for money? Isn't that like.....the whole point?

It's what I said all along, you don't show up, choose not to fight, and get six figures.
Show money. He showed up ready and deserves it.

It’s not his fault his unprofessional opponent didn’t honour his half of the contract and if we allow this to happen, it’s a slippery slope for sure, basically taking away fighters’ ability to say no.

.. and if you’re fighting a guy that needs money, why even bother cutting weight? If he can’t turn the fight down, you can come in way larger and beat up a smaller man for a small purse penalty.

The UFC makes a fortune off the backs of fighters they treat like garbage, disrespect and screw every chance they get. No other professional sports league even comes close to pulling the type of shit they do. Dana bootlickers are so bizarre.

BS. He showed up ready - it’s not his fault his opponent did not.

God, I hate this garbage organization sometimes. Their greed and lack of respect for fighters is despicable.

It also sets a messed up precedent if you force guys into taking fights if they want to get paid. Might as well show up at 205 to fight at WW.

Dana is a genius at relinquishing accountability.

he should get paid. He upheld his side of the deal, his opponent did not. But then the pink goof already said he wont pay anything. So yeah he should get some money but he wont.

Show money. He showed up ready and deserves it.

It’s not his fault his unprofessional opponent didn’t honour his half of the contract and if we allow this to happen, it’s a slippery slope for sure, basically taking away fighters’ ability to say no.

.. and if you’re fighting a guy that needs money, why even bother cutting weight? If he can’t turn the fight down, you can come in way larger and beat up a smaller man for a small purse penalty.

The UFC makes a fortune off the backs of fighters they treat like garbage, disrespect and screw every chance they get. No other professional sports league even comes close to pulling the type of shit they do. Dana bootlickers are so bizarre.
Sherdog would be a better forum if all these people went away forever.

Dana White is such a POS.

Can't wait to see him gone forever. He's just a pile of shit to the core. When your own mother hates who you've become, you're clearly a terrible person.

I agree, but, a new dirt bag will enter...Dana is only representing the UFC and so will the next president...Dana is very transparent which makes it easier to understand what the organization wants from him. No reading between the lines with Dana...thats the only thing I like about the whole situation

Absolutely, contracts matter..

Something we dont know when it comes to the UFC and its Fighters...no public record unfortunately for them..

But you are correct a total sum or all in price contract would mean i would be fucked by the truck not showing up...but I would in turn be hiring said truck and i would be in control of whos coming aka not a unprofessional Michel of the construction world lol.

Yup, I've had to be the asshole foreman to tell the guys they're going home with an hours pay for the day. Luckily we usually have enough projects going to spread the guys out for the day. And I do agree with your overall point, he should be paid something for showing up

Back