Does anyone else consider the one fc muay thai champions the best for mma

every manlet he fought, but manlets arent ppl so it doesnt count
Yeah but did he knock them out cold. One punch they are off to the dream time?
Saying thai guys don't evade punches well its like saying Cerrone's one weakness is shoulders.

Sorry TS but you are mistaken. These OneFC champions are ultra legit and they are quickly getting used to the small gloves.

If I had to suggest someone to watch it would definitely be Nong-O.

Defense is on point and they don’t even move their feet that much. Conor’s striking defense is almost all headmovement and the moment he gets pressured/tired/hurt he gets put away almost instantly

Look at how hard they are throwing. They see every punch coming. The touch of death that Conor has wouldn’t effect these guys, just like how it didn’t effect mayweather.

I do however feel like some of these Thai guys could definitely improve and use more angles/side movement. Something that israel does really well.
The cage is a lot bigger so you can move side to side more and still be efficient with it.

Last edited:
what a beautiful fight (Nong-O vs Rodlek), damn...

but yea, MMA is a developing sport and we can already see how those who can throw a proper kick or show a refined muay thai clinch stand out, just like how we saw proper fundamentals of boxing, wrestling and jiu-jitsu stand out after years of people saying things like "head movement wouldn't work in MMA" or "the jab is useless in MMA"

I think with time Muay Thai fundamentals will be MMA fundamentals, along with the all the other aspects of the game that are already reasonably established.

About McGregor... some things are funny! He's a hell of a fighter, no doubt! But Shogun exposed Machida wide stance years ago... then Pettis against Wonderboy, etc

You can call me a Muay Thai fanboy or whatever, but it isn't hard to figure how an art that encompass striking with all limbs AND grappling, plus been tested for ages inside the ring in a full contact scenario would be better suited to MMA than arts where competition is point oriented (karate, taekwondo, etc)

If you can't deal with strikes in the clinch or leg kicks you better hurry up in getting that UFC strap. It will become harder with time

To be fair to TS. I do believe that mcgregor, poirer, Holloway, masvidal, prime nick Diaz, Aldo and bj would tune up a lot of thais in a pure boxing match.

But yeah full on striking there’s no question

Last edited:
Most of these Thais or Kickboxers are not great evading punches. They don't train correctly, but most of the time they just fight beetwen them so is not noticeable
Wow. Please fuck off with your stupidity. And watch samart.

With evading i mean dodging.. English is not my native language and kinda sucks
tenor.gif

What Thai does this? he had better moments than this, he is not countering but is weathering the storm, Conor hurts people with that

Yeah he's not just dodging, he's blocking and deflecting at the same time, watch his elbow in that gif, it slaps away Conor's punch.

He was countering btw, watch the fight again - that first round was competitive + laid the blue print for how he KO'd McGregor later.

For what Thai's do that? Somrak, Kaensak, Sylvie Von Duuglas-Ittu also uses those sorts of guards. I teach those techniques myself

Long time listener, first time caller.

When was the last time Conor knocked anyone out cold with his mythical punching power? was it Aldo?

McGregor has never actually knocked out an opponent taller than him, unless you want to count Cerrone, which was done from extreme close range against a very shop worn opponent. McGregor doesn't do well outside of tailor made match ups at featherweight. He got to the lightweight title without having to fight a single wrestler (Mendes was a last minute replacement for Aldo) + since winning the title, he hasn't actually... done anything

Last edited:
Most of these Thais or Kickboxers are not great evading punches. They don't train correctly, but most of the time they just fight beetwen them so is not noticeable

They are ALL good at evading punches. Samart. Saenchai. Singdam, Pakorn, Somrak, the list goes on and on and on. They DO train correctly, and they do it 2x per day 6 days a week from children - you're quite literally talking about the best fighters on the planet

They are ALL good at evading punches. Samart. Saenchai. Singdam, Pakorn, Somrak, the list goes on and on and on. They DO train correctly, and they do it 2x per day 6 days a week from children - you're quite literally talking about the best fighters on the planet
World's more refined than UFC fighters.

How is it bad? Samart was a boxing champ. Thai's dominate the lower weight classes in boxing. Lerdsila, Saenchai, Somrak, Karuhat all have great evasion and defense.

Central asia dominates ammy boxing in any weight class really (kazaksran uzbekistan etc)

Unless you talking about pros

It's true. Even high level Muay Thai fighters can have poor traditional boxing skills.

It's true. Even high level Muay Thai fighters can have poor traditional boxing skills.

This is a myth. Which high level muay thai fighters have poor boxing? I don't think you know high level means. The ones in kickboxing use boxing more like Sittichai (glory champ), Buakaw (k1 champ), or Yodsanklai.

Last edited:
This is a myth. Which high level muay thai fighters have poor boxing? I don't think you know high level means. The ones in kickboxing use boxing more like Sittichai (glory champ), Buakaw (k1 champ), or Yodsanklai.
It's true, a lot of Muay Thai fighters are lacking in traditional boxing skills. The ones you've mentioned are good boxers. I can't remember the name but there was a Muay Thai champion who also won world boxing titles. Those are the best of the best though and they're anomalies. I remember from training in Thailand the trainers (former champs) were amazing at Muay Thai, it was almost impossible to hit them and they could easily sweep or kick you anytime but their boxing was the weakest part of their game. A Muay Thai fighter can still be very successful without great boxing skills.

It's true, a lot of Muay Thai fighters are lacking in traditional boxing skills. The ones you've mentioned are good boxers. I can't remember the name but there was a Muay Thai champion who also won world boxing titles. Those are the best of the best though and they're anomalies. I remember from training in Thailand the trainers (former champs) were amazing at Muay Thai, it was almost impossible to hit them and they could easily sweep or kick you anytime but their boxing was the weakest part of their game. A Muay Thai fighter can still be very successful without great boxing skills.

So who? Because Thais and Japanese dominate the lower weight classes in boxing so how is it bad? As previously mentioned punches aren't scored high in pure muay thai rules so they don't use them as much but the top Thais definitely have good boxing. What gyms did you train at? Even top muay thai gyms these days work boxing. Petyindee academy has it's own boxing program for instance. Samart, Somrak, Anuwat were boxing WBC champs.

Honestly many thais don’t have the best boxing but when you try to get past their kicking range their defense is enough to clinch you or kick while you are punching. The reason they don’t fight like boxers is because they are fighting Muay Thai not boxing.

Even the guy Gabriel varga in his videos said when he went to Thailand he was head and shoulders better at boxing even as an up and coming pro. Although he is a 6x world champion

He doesn’t explicitly say it and he wasn’t talking about his experience of fighting/sparring these guys at the highest level, but it’s still implied thais are just not the best pure boxers outside some of the very best

Last edited:
So who? Because Thais and Japanese dominate the lower weight classes in boxing so how is it bad? As previously mentioned punches aren't scored high in pure muay thai rules so they don't use them as much but the top Thais definitely have good boxing. What gyms did you train at? Even top muay thai gyms these days work boxing. Petyindee academy has it's own boxing program for instance. Samart, Somrak, Anuwat were boxing WBC champs.
Of course they have some great boxers and even some Thai boxers have excellent boxing skills but boxing has been historically weak in Muay Thai, that's one thing that made fighters like Ramon Dekkers so successful. I agree times are changing and boxing skills are becoming more prominent in Muay Thai but I even had that conversation with one of my trainers over there. A lot of Muay Thai fighters just don't focus enough on their technical boxing skills and a good boxer could go a long way in Muay Thai because of this. But good traditional boxing skills aren't a requirement to being a good Thai boxer, not only because of the scoring but skills like slipping or ducking a punch can get a fighter caught with a kick or a knee.

Back