Eric Nicksick Lays Out Strategy for Francis Ngannou to Beat Tyson Fury

Kowboy On Sherdog

Once Upon a Time in The UFC
Staff member
Sherdog.com Staff
Reaction score
upload_2023-10-2_17-45-5.png

After Sean Strickland’s shocking win over Israel Adesanya last month, Xtreme Couture coach Eric Nicksick is plotting yet another massive upset.

Francis Ngannou left his previous gym, The MMA Factory in Paris, in 2020 for Xtreme Couture after his loss to Stipe Miocic in their first encounter. “The Predator” would go on to become UFC heavyweight champion under Nicksick’s tutelage.

Ngannou left the UFC earlier this year after failed contract negotiations and is now scheduled to fight heavyweight boxing champ Tyson Fury in a crossover match on Oct. 28 in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. If the Cameroonian can beat arguably the greatest heavyweight pugilist of all time in his boxing debut, it certainly would go down in the history books.

Nicksick believes Ngannou has a fair shot. Nicksick noted how Deontay Wilder scored an almost fight-ending knockdown over “The Gypsy King” in their first encounter. According to the Xtreme Couture coach, it is unorthodox styles like Wilder’s which confuse technical boxers like Fury. Nicksick believes Ngannou can use the “booger” style to make Fury uncomfortable with unconventional stances and angles.

“It’s not a term of disrespect,” Nicksick told MMAFighting.com. “It’s just like when you watch two guys who are very, very technical fighters, they just are working on this sharpness of technique back and forth. Whereas, if you put a technical fighter against a booger, he’s not used to that erratic motion and stuff coming from different angles and stuff coming from different stances. Doing all this stuff that we do within MMA.

Continue Reading
https://www.sherdog.com/news/news/E...for-Francis-Ngannou-to-Beat-Tyson-Fury-191248

Booger lmfaoooooo

That's what Im gonna call windmillers like Ngannou from now on

How Francis can win:

A) Divine intervention.

B) Stage a DQ.
Have someone at the fight wear a Tyson Fury shirt, ideally the same outfit Tyson's cornermen are wearing. That person jumps in the ring during the fight and attacks Ngannou with a shoe.

C) Agree to an exhibition, with no knockdowns, just a bullshit sparring match. When Fury is relaxed sucker punch him and follow up with ground and pound.

Nicksick is a world class coach in MMA but gameplanning is one thing and executing is another. His fighter has the physical attributes but he doesn't have the requisite tools for the job. No amount of strategizing around awkwardness and unpredictability will fix that. His guy only has a puncher's chance.

Nicksick is a world class coach in MMA but gameplanning is one thing and executing is another. His fighter has the physical attributes but he doesn't have the requisite tools for the job. No amount of strategizing around awkwardness and unpredictability will fix that. His guy only has a puncher's chance.

Everybody has a plan until they face a capable boxer.

IIRC, Nicksick has been in 4 UFC title fights and won all 4 of them.
That included Aljo beating Yan (the rematch), Strickland beating Adesanya and Ngannou beating Gane while badly injured. The man really shines in the big moments, even with the odds stacked against his fighter.

IIRC, Nicksick has been in 4 UFC title fights and won all 4 of them.
That included Aljo beating Yan (the rematch), Strickland beating Adesanya and Ngannou beating Gane while badly injured. The man really shines in the big moments, even with the odds stacked against his fighter.
i thought Aljo was coached by Ray Longo and Matt Serra
regardless, Nicksick is a crafty and excellent MMA coach but Ngannou is in over his head here.

i thought Aljo was coached by Ray Longo and Matt Serra
regardless, Nicksick is a crafty and excellent MMA coach but Ngannou is in over his head here.
Actually, got that wrong, he was with him on the first fight, along with Ray Longo. Still a win lol.

I hope he just swarms Fury like he did against Jairzinho. Pretty much his only chance to catch Fury off guard. He's not going to make it 12 rounds anyway.

Actually, got that wrong, he was with him on the first fight, along with Ray Longo. Still a win lol.
oh damn i didnt know that. well yeah it was a win technically hah

His track record in MMA is really impressive but his coaching record in boxing is 0-0. Fury's trainer is the nephew of the greatest boxing coach to ever live. Kronk Gym > Xtreme Couture.

Nicksick is right. Many boxers don’t look great vs unskilled street fighters in the first round until they can get the timing and irratic movements down. These are just guys who walk in off the street. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr said that one of things he had trouble with vs Anderson Silva was his irratic movements. Anderson Silva himself was KO’d by an awkward combination by Weidman, where it looked he just lost his place in the middle of ithe sequence and threw a weird backhand before the KO punch. That threw Anderson’s timing off and he zigged when he should have zagged. Deontay Wilder KOs guys with World Star like punches. Boxers train for other boxers. Their reactions are based on movements other boxers make. Head movement is a pattern based on common combinations.

If Francis is going to catch Fury it’s not going be with a boxing combination. It’s going to be with something that Fury hasn’t seen before. Something that has weird timing and comes from an angle that he doesn’t see. Fury will get Ngannou’s timing and movements down but it will take a round or two. Until he does, that’s Ngannou’s best chance.

tumblr_m4n1h33lai1rq3uklo2_250.gif

And I'm not joking. Every second that goes by in the fight is a second that Francis is closer to losing.

A hopelessly overmatched fighter should do nothing but charge and just start throwing haymakers, hoping to catch the other guy napping.

Any other gameplan is stupid, because it is simply not possible to gameplan away such a massive skill disparity.

It always cracks me up when guys talk about "erratic motion and stuff coming from different angles and stuff coming from different stances." As if it is some kind of trump card against a technical boxer. You're telling me someone with the experience of Tyson Fury will suddenly become befuddled by awkward movements? When I have sparred with MMA guys who are awkward and like to switch stances and try little tricks, 99% of the time it just simply puts them in bad positions to with either defend or throw good punches. I think MMA striking is his only chance NOT because it will surprise fury, it's his only chance because it is what he has trained the most what his muscle memory will revert to on fight night.

Francis isn’t going to turn into a great fundamental boxer overnight, he’s got to go for broke and try to get fury out early cause he isn’t going to win a 10 round decision in any universe. I’m interested to see though. Fury used clinching a lot against wilder to tire him out and make him carry his weight, I’m curious to see if fury can do that to Francis given Francis strength and size compared to wilder and his mma experience. I don’t think it will matter though, I don’t think fury has to make any concerted effort to tire Francis, I think that’ll happen naturally after a few rounds.

It always cracks me up when guys talk about "erratic motion and stuff coming from different angles and stuff coming from different stances." As if it is some kind of trump card against a technical boxer. You're telling me someone with the experience of Tyson Fury will suddenly become befuddled by awkward movements? When I have sparred with MMA guys who are awkward and like to switch stances and try little tricks, 99% of the time it just simply puts them in bad positions to with either defend or throw good punches. I think MMA striking is his only chance NOT because it will surprise fury, it's his only chance because it is what he has trained the most what his muscle memory will revert to on fight night.
It's also kind of funny that Nicksick described Fury without even realizing it. He's an awkward fighter with herky-jerky rhythm that can switch hit.

How Francis can win:

A) Divine intervention.

B) Stage a DQ.
Have someone at the fight wear a Tyson Fury shirt, ideally the same outfit Tyson's cornermen are wearing. That person jumps in the ring during the fight and attacks Ngannou with a shoe.

C) Agree to an exhibition, with no knockdowns, just a bullshit sparring match. When Fury is relaxed sucker punch him and follow up with ground and pound.
Fury's reaction if plan B actually happens

Back