Francis Ngannou Currently Uncertain if He Competes in MMA This Year

Kowboy On Sherdog

Once Upon a Time in The UFC
Staff member
Sherdog.com Staff
Reaction score
7918.jpg

Ngannou, who signed with Professional Fighters League last year, is scheduled to face Anthony Joshua in his second pro boxing match on March 9 in Riyadh, Saudia Arabia. According to Ngannou, the PFL continues to support his forary into the Sweet Science.

“When I received a call and the offer for proposal of this fight (against Joshua), what happened? I reached out to PFL and told them because we’re in the business together,” Ngannou said during an appearance on "The MMA Hour."

“They gave me their blessing and said they can’t take away this opportunity from me, so I was happy to do that. I didn’t want to know what else they’re going to say, as long as they approved. They didn’t have a problem with this.”

Ngannou was previously expected to make his PFL debut sometime in 2024 in the organization’s pay-per-view superfight division. However, Ngannou’s closely-contested loss to Tyson Fury last October has changed things for the former UFC heavyweight champion.

“I win this fight, I’m fighting Fury -- period,” Ngannou said. “Whether or not he has the belt.”

“The Predator” acknowledged that he could still fight in MMA before year’s end, but he admitted that nothing is set in stone at this point in time.

It probably doesn't make sense for Ngannou to fight in the PFL right now.

He can make so much more in boxing, as long as there is interest in seeing him fight in that sport against big names.

If he loses badly in boxing and the big names and paychecks dry up I could see him coming back to MMA.

Either that or he secures a mixed rules fight against a big name boxer with a fatter than ordinary purse.

7918.jpg

Ngannou, who signed with Professional Fighters League last year, is scheduled to face Anthony Joshua in his second pro boxing match on March 9 in Riyadh, Saudia Arabia. According to Ngannou, the PFL continues to support his forary into the Sweet Science.

“When I received a call and the offer for proposal of this fight (against Joshua), what happened? I reached out to PFL and told them because we’re in the business together,” Ngannou said during an appearance on "The MMA Hour."

“They gave me their blessing and said they can’t take away this opportunity from me, so I was happy to do that. I didn’t want to know what else they’re going to say, as long as they approved. They didn’t have a problem with this.”

Ngannou was previously expected to make his PFL debut sometime in 2024 in the organization’s pay-per-view superfight division. However, Ngannou’s closely-contested loss to Tyson Fury last October has changed things for the former UFC heavyweight champion.

“I win this fight, I’m fighting Fury -- period,” Ngannou said. “Whether or not he has the belt.”

“The Predator” acknowledged that he could still fight in MMA before year’s end, but he admitted that nothing is set in stone at this point in time.

I wish Big Franc the best at whatever he does this year.

<RomeroSalute>

Well, he's likely making way more boxing than even the paydays PFL is promising.

Would be a trip if this guy actually became HW boxing champ at some point.

He is getting up there in age, so perhaps that is why is all in on the boxing training at this stage.

We know. Signing with PFL was just a backup in case everything else fell apart. He isn't going to fight for them unless he gets KO'd by Joshua.

It probably doesn't make sense for Ngannou to fight in the PFL right now.

He can make so much more in boxing, as long as there is interest in seeing him fight in that sport against big names.

If he loses badly in boxing and the big names and paychecks dry up I could see him coming back to MMA.

Either that or he secures a mixed rules fight against a big name boxer with a fatter than ordinary purse.

I wish Big Franc the best at whatever he does this year.

<RomeroSalute>

Way more money in boxing for him innit

PFL fumbled the bag.

This is what everybody knew as soon as he put up a good fight against Fury.

Well, he's likely making way more boxing than even the paydays PFL is promising.

Would be a trip if this guy actually became HW boxing champ at some point.

He is getting up there in age, so perhaps that is why is all in on the boxing training at this stage.

The moment he stepped into the ring with Fury, this was always going to happen.

He's not going to come back to MMA so he can fight in PFL for a way smaller bag than these boxing fights are getting him.
$8 million for 6 fights...

200.gif

Back