Jun Yong Park vs Tavares/Rodrigues loser
Kevin Jousset vs Ange Loosa
Kenan Song vs Radtke/Urbina loser
Hyun Sung Park vs Jimmy Flick
Shannon Ross RETIRE
Steve Garcia vs Nate Landwehr
Melquizael Costa vs Jack Jenkins
Luana Santos vs JJ Aldrich (125)
Stephanie Egger vs Antonina Shevchenko (125)
Tatsuro Taira vs Tim Elliott
Carlos Hernandez vs Alessandro Costa
Talita Alencar vs Cheyanne Vlismas
Rayanne Amanda vs Shauna Bannon

Song Yadong vs Petr Yan – It was the fight the UFC initially made, it was the fight the fans were ready for, and it was the logical fight in terms of rankings, skill sets, and trajectories. Hopefully they can rebook, because this fight should be a good one. No need to rip up the script.

Chris Gutierrez vs Said Nurmagomedov – Not only does Said deserve to fight a ranked opponent, and not only does Gutierrez kinda need to defend his ranking after going 1-2 in his last 3 (I know, Song was a very tough opponent), but this fight could be fireworks stylistically, at least if Said is more successful than Song at drawing out a decent fight. I think he would be. Gutierrez looked extremely defensive tonight, but if he loses this, he loses his ranking and prestige. Note: Chris’ training partner Jonathan Martinez already beat Said. Nice narrative. Let’s do it.

Khalil Rountree Jr vs Volkan Oezdemir – Khalil smashes through Anthony ‘Lionheart’ Smith and likely takes the #8 spot. Volkan, technically, would be behind Khalil, but when you consider that Volkan has been in there with some of the best the 205 division has to offer, I can’t help but think he’s a valuable test (and potentially a valuable scalp) for Khalil. Another powerful light heavyweight kickboxer who would likely stand and trade with Rountree, if Rountree is able to pass this test, it’s on to the real big boys of the division.

Anthony Smith vs Azamat Murzakanov – Murzakanov was supposed to fight Khalil in Texas but it fell through due to medical issues. Let’s not punish the undefeated Russian too much, and as Smith drops down a couple of spots, this is the one to line up going forward in my opinion. Smith is still a tough veteran and a worthy test of any surging prospect.

Nasrat Haqparast vs Drakkar Klose – Given that Nasrat has already lost to #14 and #15 in the lightweight rankings, there’s just not a lot you can do with him outside of giving him a kind of pre-rankings eliminator fight with someone like Drakkar Klose. This would be an awesome fight, the question is, though, does Klose deserve something better? If not, this is a fine fight and a high-level lightweight scrap.

Jamie Mullarkey vs Mateusz Rebecki – Rebecki has quickly compiled a 3-0 mark in the UFC, and now it’s time to start adding some recognisable names to his record. Mullarkey is a little too beatable to challenge for the rankings himself, but if he can turn it round with a really creditable win, who knows if he can still make a run? But Rebecki likely comes in favourite here as he looks to hunt down and add some name value to a numerically impressive record. How good is this guy? Time to crank up the difficulty bit by bit.

Tim Elliott vs Matt Schnell – Schell isn’t the most reliable fighter having pulled out a couple of times following his defeat to Matheus Nicolau, but he is the right opponent for Tim Elliott next. The veteran Elliott is often described as ‘awkward’ and other not-quite-superlative language, but tonight he cut through Su Mudaerji like a hot knife through butter. Can Elliott mount an unlikely assault on the top 5? Beating Schnell would take him closer. (NOTE: Something tells me Elliott might just randomly accept a fight with Erceg, too)

Su Mudaerji vs Steve Erceg – Su Mudaerji has now lost 2 in a row and been submitted both times, though he sure tried to tough it out tonight. A decent technical striker, Mudaerji has a few question marks over his record at this point, and he needs to prove he really belongs in the top 15. Surging Steve Erceg isn’t the best flyweight on the roster, but this fight does make sense for both fighters as one tries to climb and the other attempts to prevent a slide down the ladder.

Andre Muniz vs Roman Kopylov – Kopylov, like Park was before this fight, is riding a 4-fight win streak. Kopylov has looked good against a variety of styles, but after the Anthony ‘Fluffy’ Hernandez fight fell apart, he’s been unfortunate to fight a succession of guys that haven’t really commanded the respect needed to propel him towards the rankings. Well that could stop here, if he beats Sergipano, he’ll be knocking at the door of the top 15 for sure. Can Kopylov keep this on the feet and beat up the BJJ ace, or will Muniz embroil another fighter in his vaunted ground game?

Jun Yong Park vs Michal Oleksiejczuk – ‘The Iron Turtle’ sees his 4-fight win streak snapped in a razor-thin split decision defeat against the grappling heavy attack of Andre Muniz. Not to worry. Park still has his supporters, and many might even say he should have won tonight, so while he’s a popular dude I’d like to see him go back to facing fellow strikers. A fight with Oleks would be super entertaining, and while both have kinda hit their heads on the ceiling around the top 20 mark in the middleweight division, the winner here might just be back in line for another fight right outside that top 15.

Kevin Jousset vs Jared Gooden – Now I have a feeling after beating Kenan Song that they’re going to push Jousset against some more experienced opponents – and why not? Jousset looked sharp tonight, very active, he put up some great numbers – and someone like Jared Gooden, while coming off a win over a fellow vet in Wellington Turman, looks like the type they might test him against next. And he’ll probably be favourite, too, despite Gooden’s power.

Song Kenan vs Niko Price – 2 fighters on poor form, Song Kenan looks like he’s peaked and is now just mid-card filler, while Price getting KO’d by Robbie Lawler in Lawler’s retirement fight shows where he’s at, too. This could be an entertaining ‘loser leaves town’ fight, but a decent set up for whoever wins – you would think Price, but when they’re this wobbly in terms of wins and losses, take nothing for granted… High stakes for both veterans!

Hyun Sung Park vs Daniel Barez – Daniel Barez had a wild one-round duel with Jafel Filho in his UFC debut, but he showed a worrying drop off once the early aggression was done. Let’s see if the Spanish veteran has anything at this level or, if like Ross, he’s just not UFC calibre. Either way, it’s another decent-sized record for the undefeated rookie Park to shoot at.

Shannon Ross – CUT! – Shannon Ross just doesn’t really have it, his skills are okay, but he gets hurt and finished too easily. He’s 0-3 in the UFC and also lost his DWCS fight. That’s gotta be it.

Steve Garcia vs Nate Landwehr – Garcia brutalised Melk tonight, putting on a hell of a second round beat down. That’s 3 stoppage wins in a row for Garcia, who is now 4-2 in the UFC. Landwehr was his call out, and with Nate ‘The Train’ at 4-3 in the UFC, this one makes a ton of sense. Two big record guys with similar records (15-5 vs 17-5), I think this is a really sharp call out for Garcia. It’s a step up, but one he looks ready for, and we’re gonna get some hard-hitting fun here.

Melquizael Costa vs Luis Saldana – It’s been a long time since we saw the long, rangy boxer Saldana, and I’d for sure like to see him get back in there against a beatable opponent. Melk, though, has a ton of experience and a well-rounded game that would be a good test for Luis after so long out (it will have been at least 18 months by the time this one would roll around).

Luana Santos vs Melissa Dixon – Not the prettiest performance from Luana, but she got the job done in the first two rounds. Egger, who had the longer camp, predictably had the cardio edge but couldn’t do a ton with it. Give the Brazilian the English newcomer Melissa Dixon, who beat Irina Alekseeva in her UFC debut. Dixon looks a well-trained prospect, but Luana is a good test.

Stephanie Egger vs Joselyne Edwards – Edwards was feasting upon the lesser fighters of the division before a 3-fight win streak was snapped by UFC newcomer Nora Cornolle. She would have the chance to potentially send Egger packing here, with Egger badly in need of a win after a 2-fight skid. Two veterans of the division who fight fairly regularly, this one should probably happen before one or both leave the promotion.

Tatsuro Taira vs David Dvorak – This was originally on tap for October but the fight fell through. I’d like to see them rebook this and see if Dvorak can defend his #14 ranking against a guy who absolutely deserves the chance to fight to take it, as well as defend his UFC roster spot given the Czech is on a 3-fight skid. Book it! (Mokaev, Taira’s call out, is booked for March BTW)

Carlos Hernandez vs Joshua Van – Pretty poor performance from Carlos across both R1 when he got comprehensively outgrappled and R2 where he got KTFO. Credit to Carlos for trying to grapple with Taira, and his scrambles were decent early, but that was a lesson. Does he take those learnings forward? Let’s see. Give him Joshua Van, a young striker already 2-0 in the UFC. 9-3 vs 9-1.

Talita Alencar vs Jaqueline Amorim – Now this one is a bit of a risk, as both Alencar and Amorim have shown they can gas pretty badly if things don’t go their way, but both have won their most recent fight in the UFC. Both are small for the weight class, both are grapplers, but Amorim certainly more of a grappler than Amanda, who was reluctant to engage Alencar. Hopefully we would actually get some jiu jitsu here, and not just a bad striking match.

Rayanne Amanda vs Melissa Martinez – Melly Martinez was touted to some degree ahead of her UFC debut, but a defeat to Elise Reed set her back. Can she get her first mark in the win column against Rayanne Amanda, a former Invicta champion with quite a bit of experience? Either way, someone should come out of this with their first UFC ‘W’.

Steve Garcia vs Bill Algeo -
Wow... What a performance by Steve Garcia. He is now on a 3 fight winning streak, all of them being by TKO. For someone who was 0-3 at lightweight and on the verge of being cut, him making the cut to Featherweight ultimately saved his career. I think a fight with veteran Bill Algeo would be a very fun matchup for hardcore fans and for a crowd. Bill Algeo has won 4 out of his last 5, including a win over Joanderson Brito which has aged very well. The winner of this could be looking at fight near the rankings or possible fight someone who is ranked.

Park Hyun-sung vs Bruno Silva -
Great performance by Park Hyun-sung, although he was given bottom of the barrel 0-3 Shannon Ross, he followed through and finished him. He is now 2-0 in the UFC, both by finish and is an interesting prospect, he just turned 28 and if I was the UFC, I would try and test him a bit more seeing he's a bit older than the other prospects at flyweight. A fight with veteran Bruno Silva would be a perfect test for him and a great fight for Bruno Silva to come back to, who is on a 3 fight winning streak, finishing Tyson Nam in March by submission. Bruno Silva has lost twice in the UFC, to Tagir Ulanbekov and David Dvorak, who are both ranked. He's been out for close to a year now and I could only assume it's an injury. At 33, I think this is a perfect fight for Bruno and a great test for Park Hyun-Sung to see if he's legit.

Kevin Jousset vs Jake Matthews -
Jake Matthews seems to have been given the task to test the up and comers of the Welterweight division, although at 29, still has a possible upbringing in the future. Kevin Jousset just came off a very 1 sided performance vs Song Kennan where he landed a numerous number of leg kicks to Song Keenan. It seems City Kickboxing may of got another one in their hands. I would love to see this fight considering they are on pretty similar schedules and see if Kevin Jousset can keep rising through the Welterweight division or can Jake Matthews stop a possible rising prospect?

Melquizael Costa vs TJ Brown -
I almost feel like this one just is perfect, Costa is 1-2 in the UFC with his only win coming over Austin Lingo and TJ Brown is on a 2 fight losing streak to Elkins and Algeo and is in need for a win. Brown is 3-5 in the UFC with those 3 wins not being very impressive, like at all. Those wins include Erik Silva, who has not been seen in a year, Charles Rosa and Kai Kamaka who have both been cut from the UFC. Costa took a short notice fight vs Thiago Moises at 155 on about a weeks notice if I am not mistaken. He lost then went down and fought Austin Lingo in a pretty dominant performance and looked like a possible future up and comer, then got finished pretty badly by Steve Garcia... so much so that he started going in on a double leg on the Ref when he called the fight. I think a fight between these 2 can boost someone back into the win column, the loser could be looking being released.

Song Keenan vs Trey Waters -
Keenan falls to 5-4 in the UFC now, still positive but clearly the UFC see's him as a test for the younger prospects in the Welterweight division, don't believe me? Listen to these opponents for 2023, Ian Garry, Rolando Bedoya and Kevin Jousset. There's not to much to say about this matchup other than Waters is 6'5 with a 77 inch reach. This is just a simple matchup to see if Waters is ready for the "next level" of the 170 division.

Carlos Hernandez vs Jake Hadley -

Carlos had a pretty rough showing vs the up and comer, Tatsuro Taira. To be fair though, many have had trouble with the young prospect. Jake Hadley just came off a decision loss to Cody Durden, which is nothing to be ashamed off seeing Durden is currently ranked #15, and considering he also almost submitted him. I think this is a pretty fair matchup, more so for the UFC to get Hadley back on track with a possible win here.

Andre Muniz vs Michel Pereira -
Wow... what a grappling performance by Muniz... it was great to watch. Although his striking does need some work, I think a fight with Michel Pereira could do wonders for both men. Muniz was recently ranked and is probably ranked #16 in all honesty, he is probably the number 1 guy right outside the rankings. Pereira was ranked right outside the top 10 at 170 and had to move up due to weight issues. He fought Petroski who was on a 5 fight win streak and then finished him just over a minute. Will Muniz be able to get Pereira to the ground quick and get a possible submission? Or will Pereira look for an early finish on the feet? The winner will definitely be looking for a fight inside the rankings at 185.

Andre Petroski vs Park Jun-yong -
The Iron Turtle couldn't seem to leave the grip of Muniz whatsoever tonight and it was not a good look for him whatsoever. For someone who was on a 4 fight winning streak and people calling for him to get a ranked opponent, he finally got his test, (Muniz was ranked #15 when the fight was booked) and it did not go in his favor as he lost a split decision, although in my opinion Muniz was the pretty clear winner. He now drops to 7-3 while Petroski was 5-0 in the UFC, just lost by KO to Pereira, both men are in the same position outside the rankings. Both were on good winning streaks and both got their test and lost it, a win here from either men could boost them into the spot they were in before they lost their big test.

#10 Tim Elliott vs #11 Steve Erceg -
Tim Elliott steps in on 1 weeks notice and get's the submission in the first round, what a performance by Tim and on the post fight interview with Paul Felder, he said and I quote, "I feel like my title run is over and I'm just here to take fights and do what the UFC needs." With him saying that I feel like him vs Australian prospect Steve Erceg is a perfect matchup. Erceg stepped up on short notice vs a ranked opponent in his UFC debut vs David Dvorak and come up with the upset decision win, he then fought Alessandro Costa at UFC 295 and also picked up another decision win there. Considering Erceg, who is ranked #11, was going to face #8 Matt Schnell at UFC 295 before Schnell had to pullout and Costa had to step in, I feel like #10 Elliott is a perfect matchup for him, and even a good matchup for the veteran Elliott.

#12 Su mudaerji vs Tatsuro Taira
Well UFC... here is how you get Taira into the rankings. Sumaderji is now 3-3 in the UFC and is a fun fighter to watch, but lacks in the grappling department. His 16-6 overall record is very iffy, and it gets even worst when you realize all 6 of his losses come by submission, which if you know Taira, is a strong suit of his game, even at the age of 23. There is no reason to rush Taira if you are the UFC, although I would take your chance with getting him into the rankings with this perfect matchup for Taira who is now 5-0 in the UFC and is sitting at a very nice 15-0 record.

#4 Jan Błachowicz vs #8 Khalil Roundtree Jr. -
Roundtree is now on a 5 fight win streak with 4 of them coming by TKO/KO. With a very impressive win over veteran Anthony Smith, the road is only up from here for Roundtree, he called for a main event after his KO win earlier this year over Daukaus, although he didn't get it here, I feel like a main event of a fight night between him and Jan is a great fight to make. Jan recently had to pull out of a rematch fight with Rakic due to an injury, by the time he comes back, Rakic will probably have a fight lined up. Jan just fought current champion Alex Pereira at UFC 291 and lost by split decision, so he is still close to a title shot. 2 Heavy hitters in a fight night main event? Someone is bound to go to sleep.

#9 Anthony Smith vs #12 Azamat Murzakanov -
Like most veterans with somewhat of name value, they are given to the up and comers of the division to keep the division moving when they are washed, now it is Anthony Smith's turn. After this pretty bad TKO lost, it's time to give him another fight where he most likely will lose. Not much to talk about here other than likely the end path for Smith's career.

Nasrat Haqparast vs Grant Dawson -
Nasrat is on a 3 fight winning streak now and is a pretty impressive striker, although he isn't close to being ranked in my opinion, I think a fight between him and Grant Dawson could be interesting for both fighters. Grant Dawson just took a very bad KO loss against veteran Bobby Green and lost his ranking because of it. Nasrat hasn't really been the grappling type and Dawson has never been the striking type, who will be able to use their disadvantage to their advantage first?

Jamie Mullarkey vs Guram Kutateladze -
Jamie Mullarkey is now 5-5 in the UFC and at only 29 years old, he is in a very weird spot. He hasn't been able to find his grove for a while now and looking at Guram who is currently 32 and was once said to be a very dangerous prospect who lost to Elves Brennar. Both fighters could certainly use a win right now, considering this fight was gonna happen earlier in 2023, I feel like it's only right to make the fight happen now seeing as both men lost their last fight by KO.

Chris Gutierrez vs Adrian Yanez -
This has been a fight I always wanted to see. With Yanez pure boxing and Gutierrez interesting kicking attack, I would love to see how this plays out. With Yanez falling out the rankings after losing very badly by leg kicks to Jonathan Martinez and Gutierrez more than likely losing his #15 ranking by losing a decision that was single handily won by Song Yadong, I think this fight makes perfect sense for both fighters.

#7 Song Yadong vs #5 Petr Yan -
What... a ... performance by Song Yadong. Just turning 26 and just entering his prime, he is truly a future champion in many people's eyes. This fight would fit perfectly on a PPV, I would love to see this fight in a 3 rounder, only because I know damn well the UFC would put this as a fight main event in the APEX, this fight deserves fans. Petr said he wants March of 2024 to return, and I see no reason why not to do it as Song Yadong also wants March. This on the main card of UFC 299 with O'Malley vs Chito Vera?? Sign me up.

Dixon and Luana fight in different weight classes, unless Luana mentioned permanently moving up? Not sure.

I'd rather a fresh match up for Taira. The dvorak fight wasn't especially interesting the first time, even less now with Taira coming off that performance and dvorak pulling out.

I think erceg deserves better than Su madaerji.

and I'd rather Rebecki get a bigger step up than Mullarkey off a brutal knockout.

No problem with the other match ups.

Not exactly what I was expecting when we told the strikers they needed to learn to wrestle. Good picks though especially the Yan v Sadong and Roundtree v Oezdemir ones. Smith should retire though. He still has the skills but doesn’t seem to have the heart for it anymore. Like he’s just going thru the motions until he gets hurt enough for the ref to stop it.

Yadong vs Martinez
Gutierrez vs Yanez
Roundtree vs Blachowicz
Smith vs Ulberg/Reyes winner
Elliot vs Erceg
Haqparast vs Diego-Fereira

Steve Garcia vs Bill Algeo -
Wow... What a performance by Steve Garcia. He is now on a 3 fight winning streak, all of them being by TKO. For someone who was 0-3 at lightweight and on the verge of being cut, him making the cut to Featherweight ultimately saved his career. I think a fight with veteran Bill Algeo would be a very fun matchup for hardcore fans and for a crowd. Bill Algeo has won 4 out of his last 5, including a win over Joanderson Brito which has aged very well. The winner of this could be looking at fight near the rankings or possible fight someone who is ranked.

Park Hyun-sung vs Bruno Silva -
Great performance by Park Hyun-sung, although he was given bottom of the barrel 0-3 Shannon Ross, he followed through and finished him. He is now 2-0 in the UFC, both by finish and is an interesting prospect, he just turned 28 and if I was the UFC, I would try and test him a bit more seeing he's a bit older than the other prospects at flyweight. A fight with veteran Bruno Silva would be a perfect test for him and a great fight for Bruno Silva to come back to, who is on a 3 fight winning streak, finishing Tyson Nam in March by submission. Bruno Silva has lost twice in the UFC, to Tagir Ulanbekov and David Dvorak, who are both ranked. He's been out for close to a year now and I could only assume it's an injury. At 33, I think this is a perfect fight for Bruno and a great test for Park Hyun-Sung to see if he's legit.

Kevin Jousset vs Jake Matthews -
Jake Matthews seems to have been given the task to test the up and comers of the Welterweight division, although at 29, still has a possible upbringing in the future. Kevin Jousset just came off a very 1 sided performance vs Song Kennan where he landed a numerous number of leg kicks to Song Keenan. It seems City Kickboxing may of got another one in their hands. I would love to see this fight considering they are on pretty similar schedules and see if Kevin Jousset can keep rising through the Welterweight division or can Jake Matthews stop a possible rising prospect?

Melquizael Costa vs TJ Brown -
I almost feel like this one just is perfect, Costa is 1-2 in the UFC with his only win coming over Austin Lingo and TJ Brown is on a 2 fight losing streak to Elkins and Algeo and is in need for a win. Brown is 3-5 in the UFC with those 3 wins not being very impressive, like at all. Those wins include Erik Silva, who has not been seen in a year, Charles Rosa and Kai Kamaka who have both been cut from the UFC. Costa took a short notice fight vs Thiago Moises at 155 on about a weeks notice if I am not mistaken. He lost then went down and fought Austin Lingo in a pretty dominant performance and looked like a possible future up and comer, then got finished pretty badly by Steve Garcia... so much so that he started going in on a double leg on the Ref when he called the fight. I think a fight between these 2 can boost someone back into the win column, the loser could be looking being released.

Song Keenan vs Trey Waters -
Keenan falls to 5-4 in the UFC now, still positive but clearly the UFC see's him as a test for the younger prospects in the Welterweight division, don't believe me? Listen to these opponents for 2023, Ian Garry, Rolando Bedoya and Kevin Jousset. There's not to much to say about this matchup other than Waters is 6'5 with a 77 inch reach. This is just a simple matchup to see if Waters is ready for the "next level" of the 170 division.

Carlos Hernandez vs Jake Hadley -

Carlos had a pretty rough showing vs the up and comer, Tatsuro Taira. To be fair though, many have had trouble with the young prospect. Jake Hadley just came off a decision loss to Cody Durden, which is nothing to be ashamed off seeing Durden is currently ranked #15, and considering he also almost submitted him. I think this is a pretty fair matchup, more so for the UFC to get Hadley back on track with a possible win here.

Andre Muniz vs Michel Pereira -
Wow... what a grappling performance by Muniz... it was great to watch. Although his striking does need some work, I think a fight with Michel Pereira could do wonders for both men. Muniz was recently ranked and is probably ranked #16 in all honesty, he is probably the number 1 guy right outside the rankings. Pereira was ranked right outside the top 10 at 170 and had to move up due to weight issues. He fought Petroski who was on a 5 fight win streak and then finished him just over a minute. Will Muniz be able to get Pereira to the ground quick and get a possible submission? Or will Pereira look for an early finish on the feet? The winner will definitely be looking for a fight inside the rankings at 185.

Andre Petroski vs Park Jun-yong -
The Iron Turtle couldn't seem to leave the grip of Muniz whatsoever tonight and it was not a good look for him whatsoever. For someone who was on a 4 fight winning streak and people calling for him to get a ranked opponent, he finally got his test, (Muniz was ranked #15 when the fight was booked) and it did not go in his favor as he lost a split decision, although in my opinion Muniz was the pretty clear winner. He now drops to 7-3 while Petroski was 5-0 in the UFC, just lost by KO to Pereira, both men are in the same position outside the rankings. Both were on good winning streaks and both got their test and lost it, a win here from either men could boost them into the spot they were in before they lost their big test.

#10 Tim Elliott vs #11 Steve Erceg -
Tim Elliott steps in on 1 weeks notice and get's the submission in the first round, what a performance by Tim and on the post fight interview with Paul Felder, he said and I quote, "I feel like my title run is over and I'm just here to take fights and do what the UFC needs." With him saying that I feel like him vs Australian prospect Steve Erceg is a perfect matchup. Erceg stepped up on short notice vs a ranked opponent in his UFC debut vs David Dvorak and come up with the upset decision win, he then fought Alessandro Costa at UFC 295 and also picked up another decision win there. Considering Erceg, who is ranked #11, was going to face #8 Matt Schnell at UFC 295 before Schnell had to pullout and Costa had to step in, I feel like #10 Elliott is a perfect matchup for him, and even a good matchup for the veteran Elliott.

#12 Su mudaerji vs Tatsuro Taira
Well UFC... here is how you get Taira into the rankings. Sumaderji is now 3-3 in the UFC and is a fun fighter to watch, but lacks in the grappling department. His 16-6 overall record is very iffy, and it gets even worst when you realize all 6 of his losses come by submission, which if you know Taira, is a strong suit of his game, even at the age of 23. There is no reason to rush Taira if you are the UFC, although I would take your chance with getting him into the rankings with this perfect matchup for Taira who is now 5-0 in the UFC and is sitting at a very nice 15-0 record.

#4 Jan Błachowicz vs #8 Khalil Roundtree Jr. -
Roundtree is now on a 5 fight win streak with 4 of them coming by TKO/KO. With a very impressive win over veteran Anthony Smith, the road is only up from here for Roundtree, he called for a main event after his KO win earlier this year over Daukaus, although he didn't get it here, I feel like a main event of a fight night between him and Jan is a great fight to make. Jan recently had to pull out of a rematch fight with Rakic due to an injury, by the time he comes back, Rakic will probably have a fight lined up. Jan just fought current champion Alex Pereira at UFC 291 and lost by split decision, so he is still close to a title shot. 2 Heavy hitters in a fight night main event? Someone is bound to go to sleep.

#9 Anthony Smith vs #12 Azamat Murzakanov -
Like most veterans with somewhat of name value, they are given to the up and comers of the division to keep the division moving when they are washed, now it is Anthony Smith's turn. After this pretty bad TKO lost, it's time to give him another fight where he most likely will lose. Not much to talk about here other than likely the end path for Smith's career.

Nasrat Haqparast vs Grant Dawson -
Nasrat is on a 3 fight winning streak now and is a pretty impressive striker, although he isn't close to being ranked in my opinion, I think a fight between him and Grant Dawson could be interesting for both fighters. Grant Dawson just took a very bad KO loss against veteran Bobby Green and lost his ranking because of it. Nasrat hasn't really been the grappling type and Dawson has never been the striking type, who will be able to use their disadvantage to their advantage first?

Jamie Mullarkey vs Guram Kutateladze -
Jamie Mullarkey is now 5-5 in the UFC and at only 29 years old, he is in a very weird spot. He hasn't been able to find his grove for a while now and looking at Guram who is currently 32 and was once said to be a very dangerous prospect who lost to Elves Brennar. Both fighters could certainly use a win right now, considering this fight was gonna happen earlier in 2023, I feel like it's only right to make the fight happen now seeing as both men lost their last fight by KO.

Chris Gutierrez vs Adrian Yanez -
This has been a fight I always wanted to see. With Yanez pure boxing and Gutierrez interesting kicking attack, I would love to see how this plays out. With Yanez falling out the rankings after losing very badly by leg kicks to Jonathan Martinez and Gutierrez more than likely losing his #15 ranking by losing a decision that was single handily won by Song Yadong, I think this fight makes perfect sense for both fighters.

#7 Song Yadong vs #5 Petr Yan -
What... a ... performance by Song Yadong. Just turning 26 and just entering his prime, he is truly a future champion in many people's eyes. This fight would fit perfectly on a PPV, I would love to see this fight in a 3 rounder, only because I know damn well the UFC would put this as a fight main event in the APEX, this fight deserves fans. Petr said he wants March of 2024 to return, and I see no reason why not to do it as Song Yadong also wants March. This on the main card of UFC 299 with O'Malley vs Chito Vera?? Sign me up.

Ooh, I like a lot of these!

Iron Turtle vs Bruno Silva - Jousset vs Matthews - Hernandez vs Hadley - Gutierrez vs Yanez

Those are some top notch fights.

Not seen you before, welcome, and very good work!

Dixon and Luana fight in different weight classes, unless Luana mentioned permanently moving up? Not sure.

I'd rather a fresh match up for Taira. The dvorak fight wasn't especially interesting the first time, even less now with Taira coming off that performance and dvorak pulling out.

I think erceg deserves better than Su madaerji.

and I'd rather Rebecki get a bigger step up than Mullarkey off a brutal knockout.

No problem with the other match ups.

Who knows with Luana.

She didn't look undersized.

And she won tonight with a rare kesa gatame leg Americana.

I assume?

Chris Gutierrez vs Said Nurmagomedov – Not only does Said deserve to fight a ranked opponent, and not only does Gutierrez kinda need to defend his ranking after going 1-2 in his last 3
ik Gutierrez was fighting pretty far up the ranks but I kinda think he should drop out of the top 15 for losing badly regardless

ik Gutierrez was fighting pretty far up the ranks but I kinda think he should drop out of the top 15 for losing badly regardless

Agreed, but Said isn't ranked, so that would work, right?

Yadong vs Martinez
Gutierrez vs Yanez
Roundtree vs Blachowicz
Smith vs Ulberg/Reyes winner
Elliot vs Erceg
Haqparast vs Diego-Fereira

Rountree-Jan actually makes a lot of sense.

I like Haparast-Ferreira too, I did consider that, but I got the feeling I'd maybe suggested that exact match before, not sure lol

Good picks, dude!

Smith-Ulberg would be must see TV too!

Song Yadong vs Petr Yan – It was the fight the UFC initially made, it was the fight the fans were ready for, and it was the logical fight in terms of rankings, skill sets, and trajectories. Hopefully they can rebook, because this fight should be a good one. No need to rip up the script.

Chris Gutierrez vs Said Nurmagomedov – Not only does Said deserve to fight a ranked opponent, and not only does Gutierrez kinda need to defend his ranking after going 1-2 in his last 3 (I know, Song was a very tough opponent), but this fight could be fireworks stylistically, at least if Said is more successful than Song at drawing out a decent fight. I think he would be. Gutierrez looked extremely defensive tonight, but if he loses this, he loses his ranking and prestige. Note: Chris’ training partner Jonathan Martinez already beat Said. Nice narrative. Let’s do it.

Khalil Rountree Jr vs Volkan Oezdemir – Khalil smashes through Anthony ‘Lionheart’ Smith and likely takes the #8 spot. Volkan, technically, would be behind Khalil, but when you consider that Volkan has been in there with some of the best the 205 division has to offer, I can’t help but think he’s a valuable test (and potentially a valuable scalp) for Khalil. Another powerful light heavyweight kickboxer who would likely stand and trade with Rountree, if Rountree is able to pass this test, it’s on to the real big boys of the division.

Anthony Smith vs Azamat Murzakanov – Murzakanov was supposed to fight Khalil in Texas but it fell through due to medical issues. Let’s not punish the undefeated Russian too much, and as Smith drops down a couple of spots, this is the one to line up going forward in my opinion. Smith is still a tough veteran and a worthy test of any surging prospect.

Nasrat Haqparast vs Drakkar Klose – Given that Nasrat has already lost to #14 and #15 in the lightweight rankings, there’s just not a lot you can do with him outside of giving him a kind of pre-rankings eliminator fight with someone like Drakkar Klose. This would be an awesome fight, the question is, though, does Klose deserve something better? If not, this is a fine fight and a high-level lightweight scrap.

Jamie Mullarkey vs Mateusz Rebecki – Rebecki has quickly compiled a 3-0 mark in the UFC, and now it’s time to start adding some recognisable names to his record. Mullarkey is a little too beatable to challenge for the rankings himself, but if he can turn it round with a really creditable win, who knows if he can still make a run? But Rebecki likely comes in favourite here as he looks to hunt down and add some name value to a numerically impressive record. How good is this guy? Time to crank up the difficulty bit by bit.

Tim Elliott vs Matt Schnell – Schell isn’t the most reliable fighter having pulled out a couple of times following his defeat to Matheus Nicolau, but he is the right opponent for Tim Elliott next. The veteran Elliott is often described as ‘awkward’ and other not-quite-superlative language, but tonight he cut through Su Mudaerji like a hot knife through butter. Can Elliott mount an unlikely assault on the top 5? Beating Schnell would take him closer. (NOTE: Something tells me Elliott might just randomly accept a fight with Erceg, too)

Su Mudaerji vs Steve Erceg – Su Mudaerji has now lost 2 in a row and been submitted both times, though he sure tried to tough it out tonight. A decent technical striker, Mudaerji has a few question marks over his record at this point, and he needs to prove he really belongs in the top 15. Surging Steve Erceg isn’t the best flyweight on the roster, but this fight does make sense for both fighters as one tries to climb and the other attempts to prevent a slide down the ladder.

Andre Muniz vs Roman Kopylov – Kopylov, like Park was before this fight, is riding a 4-fight win streak. Kopylov has looked good against a variety of styles, but after the Anthony ‘Fluffy’ Hernandez fight fell apart, he’s been unfortunate to fight a succession of guys that haven’t really commanded the respect needed to propel him towards the rankings. Well that could stop here, if he beats Sergipano, he’ll be knocking at the door of the top 15 for sure. Can Kopylov keep this on the feet and beat up the BJJ ace, or will Muniz embroil another fighter in his vaunted ground game?

Jun Yong Park vs Michal Oleksiejczuk – ‘The Iron Turtle’ sees his 4-fight win streak snapped in a razor-thin split decision defeat against the grappling heavy attack of Andre Muniz. Not to worry. Park still has his supporters, and many might even say he should have won tonight, so while he’s a popular dude I’d like to see him go back to facing fellow strikers. A fight with Oleks would be super entertaining, and while both have kinda hit their heads on the ceiling around the top 20 mark in the middleweight division, the winner here might just be back in line for another fight right outside that top 15.

Kevin Jousset vs Jared Gooden – Now I have a feeling after beating Kenan Song that they’re going to push Jousset against some more experienced opponents – and why not? Jousset looked sharp tonight, very active, he put up some great numbers – and someone like Jared Gooden, while coming off a win over a fellow vet in Wellington Turman, looks like the type they might test him against next. And he’ll probably be favourite, too, despite Gooden’s power.

Song Kenan vs Niko Price – 2 fighters on poor form, Song Kenan looks like he’s peaked and is now just mid-card filler, while Price getting KO’d by Robbie Lawler in Lawler’s retirement fight shows where he’s at, too. This could be an entertaining ‘loser leaves town’ fight, but a decent set up for whoever wins – you would think Price, but when they’re this wobbly in terms of wins and losses, take nothing for granted… High stakes for both veterans!

Hyun Sung Park vs Daniel Barez – Daniel Barez had a wild one-round duel with Jafel Filho in his UFC debut, but he showed a worrying drop off once the early aggression was done. Let’s see if the Spanish veteran has anything at this level or, if like Ross, he’s just not UFC calibre. Either way, it’s another decent-sized record for the undefeated rookie Park to shoot at.

Shannon Ross – CUT! – Shannon Ross just doesn’t really have it, his skills are okay, but he gets hurt and finished too easily. He’s 0-3 in the UFC and also lost his DWCS fight. That’s gotta be it.

Steve Garcia vs Nate Landwehr – Garcia brutalised Melk tonight, putting on a hell of a second round beat down. That’s 3 stoppage wins in a row for Garcia, who is now 4-2 in the UFC. Landwehr was his call out, and with Nate ‘The Train’ at 4-3 in the UFC, this one makes a ton of sense. Two big record guys with similar records (15-5 vs 17-5), I think this is a really sharp call out for Garcia. It’s a step up, but one he looks ready for, and we’re gonna get some hard-hitting fun here.

Melquizael Costa vs Luis Saldana – It’s been a long time since we saw the long, rangy boxer Saldana, and I’d for sure like to see him get back in there against a beatable opponent. Melk, though, has a ton of experience and a well-rounded game that would be a good test for Luis after so long out (it will have been at least 18 months by the time this one would roll around).

Luana Santos vs Melissa Dixon – Not the prettiest performance from Luana, but she got the job done in the first two rounds. Egger, who had the longer camp, predictably had the cardio edge but couldn’t do a ton with it. Give the Brazilian the English newcomer Melissa Dixon, who beat Irina Alekseeva in her UFC debut. Dixon looks a well-trained prospect, but Luana is a good test.

Stephanie Egger vs Joselyne Edwards – Edwards was feasting upon the lesser fighters of the division before a 3-fight win streak was snapped by UFC newcomer Nora Cornolle. She would have the chance to potentially send Egger packing here, with Egger badly in need of a win after a 2-fight skid. Two veterans of the division who fight fairly regularly, this one should probably happen before one or both leave the promotion.

Tatsuro Taira vs David Dvorak – This was originally on tap for October but the fight fell through. I’d like to see them rebook this and see if Dvorak can defend his #14 ranking against a guy who absolutely deserves the chance to fight to take it, as well as defend his UFC roster spot given the Czech is on a 3-fight skid. Book it! (Mokaev, Taira’s call out, is booked for March BTW)

Carlos Hernandez vs Joshua Van – Pretty poor performance from Carlos across both R1 when he got comprehensively outgrappled and R2 where he got KTFO. Credit to Carlos for trying to grapple with Taira, and his scrambles were decent early, but that was a lesson. Does he take those learnings forward? Let’s see. Give him Joshua Van, a young striker already 2-0 in the UFC. 9-3 vs 9-1.

Talita Alencar vs Jaqueline Amorim – Now this one is a bit of a risk, as both Alencar and Amorim have shown they can gas pretty badly if things don’t go their way, but both have won their most recent fight in the UFC. Both are small for the weight class, both are grapplers, but Amorim certainly more of a grappler than Amanda, who was reluctant to engage Alencar. Hopefully we would actually get some jiu jitsu here, and not just a bad striking match.

Rayanne Amanda vs Melissa Martinez – Melly Martinez was touted to some degree ahead of her UFC debut, but a defeat to Elise Reed set her back. Can she get her first mark in the win column against Rayanne Amanda, a former Invicta champion with quite a bit of experience? Either way, someone should come out of this with their first UFC ‘W’.
awesome.

I didn’t realize Yan was originally set to fight tonight. Given how quickly they had his post-fight tweet ready to go, and how Felder was trying to force his name into the conversation, I figured maybe the UFC was trying to glom onto whatever publicity Yan got for his face off with Conor last night.

Actually a good matchup. Song is a finisher, and all of Yan’s last four fights have gone to decision, so maybe Song can pull something exciting out of him.

- Song Yadong vs. Petr Yan
- Khalil Rountree vs. Jan Blachowicz
- Nasrat Haqparast vs. Matt Frevola
- Tim Elliott vs. Steve Erceg
- Andre Muniz vs. Roman Kopylov
- Kevin Jousset vs. Jake Matthews
- Tatsuro Taira vs. Su Mudaerji
- Chris Gutierrez vs. Javid Basharat
- Anthony Smith vs. Azamat Murzakanov
- Jamie Mullarkey vs. Evan Elder

A lot of mine are similar to people’s earlier choices, just believe there are some obvious fights to make after last night

Rayanne Amanda vs. Marnic Mann - Second time lucky for both coming off defeats in their debuts.
Talita Alancar vs. Josefine Knutsson - Two unbeaten standouts coming off UFC debut wins.
Carlos Hernandez vs. Jake Hadley - Rebound for both men.
Tatsuro Taira vs. Cody Durden - Two flyweight prospects on win streaks. A win here could put one in the top ten.
Stephanie Egger vs. Joselyne Edwards - Rebound for both women coming off losses.
Luana Santos vs. Melissa Dixon - Let's see who can remain unbeaten in the octagon.
Melquizael Costa vs. Anshul Jubli - Rebound for both coming off stoppage losses.
Steve Garcia vs. Terrance McKinney - This is a fight which promises violence. Makes sense.
Shannon Ross - Cut - 0-3 in the UFC.
Hyun Sung Park vs. Joshua Van - Let's see who can make it 3-0 in the UFC.
Song Kenan vs. Rhys McKee - Good rebound for both men. Much needed win.
Kevin Jousset vs. Myktybek Orolbai - Two successful debutants who can make it two straight.
Jun Yong Park vs. Andre Petroski - Two prospects coming off tough losses.
Andre Muniz vs. Michel Pereira - Think this has the makings of a fun next step for both.
Su Mudaerji vs. David Dvorak - loser falls out the rankings.
Tim Elliott vs. Steve Erceg - Fun fight between two veterans.
Jamie Mullarkey vs. Roosevelt Roberts - Rebound fight for both.
Nasrat Haqparast vs. Drakkar Klose - Winner gets in the top 15.
Anthony Smith vs. Azamat Murzakanov - Smith needs this win to stay in the top ten.
Khalil Rountree vs. Nikita Krylov - Winner gets a top 5 opponent.
Chris Gutierrez vs. Simon/Bautista loser - Chris needs this to stay in the rankings.
Song Yadong vs. Petr Yan - He called for it. I say let's make it happen.

Back