Elections Gavin Newsom: “Mandatory water restrictions may be coming to California“

lol... Always with Climate Change.... Ok, Greta

This is solely a Government mismanagement issue.
Yeah, because Climate change isn't going anywhere and is directly tied to droughts and other conditions that will fuck up water supplies in the future. We've seen this in other parts of the world already.

The typical 'derp derp lol Ok, Greta' response doesn't change the facts.

It is not "solely" on government mismanagement. That's always part of it. But there are multiple factors.

What the literal FUCK is that state doing? 75 billion surplus....water and energy crisis every year....

People really aren’t this stupid, are they?
San Diego County has a water surplus until 2045 because actually prepared for the future by upgrading damns and reservoirs over the past few decades. Odd how the rest of the state couldn't figure that out.

Also, there are several desalinations plants up and running that they could draw water from too.

California is run by idiots...

Of the 2014 voter-approved water bond, $2.7 billion for new water storage projects still unused
https://californiaglobe.com/section...eaten-hydro-power-agriculture-drinking-water/
In 2014, California voters approved $7.12 billion in bonds for state water supply infrastructure projects. Of that, $2.7 billion was designated for water storage projects. But nearly 8 years later, there are no new dams or reservoirs, or other water storage projects to collect and store California’s winter runoff. And California is in yet another drought.

As California Rep. Tom McClintock has said for years, “Droughts are naturally occurring, water shortages are man-made.” He also has warned for many years, “We live in one of the most water-rich regions of the country – yet we have not built a major reservoir in this state since 1979. Meanwhile, the population has nearly doubled. The sad, simple fact is that we will NEVER solve our water problems until we start building new dams once again.”

Sen. Nielsen, who is also a farmer and rancher, on Friday denounced the shutdown of the Hyatt Power Plant at Oroville Dam. And California’s other reservoirs are also dangerously draining.

“Governor Newsom and the Democrats running this state should be ashamed,” Nielsen said. “Rather than planning for the future, they kowtowed to environmental special interest groups and stalled the construction of Sites Reservoir.”

Only two years ago, every reservoir in the state was brimming with enough water to last a minimum of five dry years without another drop of rain. Shasta and Oroville reservoirs/dams held enough water to meet the needs of 80 million people for a year.

Doesn't matter that the projects were voter approved. Activists have stopped progress now for over 6 years. Stop pandering to this minority of assholes...

b4c709af9281553903db31fc2d976144.jpg

Yes, Cali... Keep voting for these spineless Democrat dipshits who no have solutions for anything... just excuses.

The water and power shortages are caused by the negligence of these clowns

that article points out that we havent built enough major reservoirs but I dont know if thats gonna help as much as people think when the reservoirs we do have are at record lows. Its not like building more reservoirs is going to fix the fact there isnt enough water to go into the reservoirs considering that it really doesnt rain much and there isnt tons of large quantity snow areas to provide a source to feed reservoirs. The 3 primary water sources in california are the sierra nevada mountains (they feed oroville damn but theres not enough snow pack to even do that at moment), the colorado river (this source isnt even supplied by california and its struggling throughout all the upstream states that pull off it as well) and ground water which is getting pumped by farmers faster than the aquifers can build up. im not trying to defend california politics but i dont think this is just about poorly spent money in this case, unless we want to start using more funding towards desalination plants to draw from ocean.

Interesting story

https://calmatters.org/environment/2021/06/california-water-shortage/

Los Angeles County also pioneered recycled water, building the nation’s first reclamation plant in 1962 to treat sewage and use it to replenish its aquifers. Neighboring Orange County has been a world leader in recycling water, purifying its own sewage and capturing the Inland Empire’s to feed its groundwater.

San Diego, too, has built up its resilience since the last drought. For decades it was almost totally reliant on Metropolitan Water District’s imported water. But since the 1990s, the San Diego County Water Authority has added desalinated and recycled water, built one dam and raised another, pumped groundwater and cut a deal to get Colorado River water from Imperial County. The water authority announced the region is “drought-safe this summer” with “no shortages or mandates in the forecast.”

That's awesome!

Bro, coolest tour ever. Super villain level crazy. Too bad 9/11 happened. The tours stopped.

Taking a golf cart and driving miles underground into a room blasted out of granite. It was so WTF. The control room was built to be nuke proof. Cold war shit.

Just nuts. And the warnings for wind gusts. LoL. The doors can kill you.

How about promoting crops that don't use tons of water or flood irrigation?

I know that the crux of the restrictions will hit single home families and their shower times. But, will Gavin be able to impose such restrictions on the almond growers?

Hmm, I wonder if there would have been "enough water" if you took 2 million illegals out of the equation?

I'm sure a thought like foreigners using up resources is too complex or "politically incorrect" for Newsome to ponder.

Can you point to any evidence to support your idea?

Most people point to agricultural demands on the water supply...

Came to the thread to see really stupid comments from rightwing reactionaries and I am not disappointed.

that article points out that we havent built enough major reservoirs but I dont know if thats gonna help as much as people think when the reservoirs we do have are at record lows. Its not like building more reservoirs is going to fix the fact there isnt enough water to go into the reservoirs considering that it really doesnt rain much and there isnt tons of large quantity snow areas to provide a source to feed reservoirs. The 3 primary water sources in california are the sierra nevada mountains (they feed oroville damn but theres not enough snow pack to even do that at moment), the colorado river (this source isnt even supplied by california and its struggling throughout all the upstream states that pull off it as well) and ground water which is getting pumped by farmers faster than the aquifers can build up. im not trying to defend california politics but i dont think this is just about poorly spent money in this case, unless we want to start using more funding towards desalination plants to draw from ocean.

How many millions of gallons flow into the oceans? Lmao. And you build reservoirs to hold water for lean times.

Hence.... Reservoir.

A shortage of potable water is not only a big deal but one of the biggest deals imaginable.
Thats my point. We have limited recources and its no big deal that we have to conserve our useage.

The article said that the State's reservoirs were completely full two years and had enough water for years, even with a two or three years of drought. But Activists pressured the State to release water to help a couple fish... a smelt. The effort failed and now the entire state is in a self induced water crisis.

Only two years ago, every reservoir in the state was brimming with enough water to last a minimum of five dry years without another drop of rain. Shasta and Oroville reservoirs/dams held enough water to meet the needs of 80 million people for a year.

The state has been letting water out of reservoirs across California for months now. And it’s not going to farmers, growers, ranchers or urban use. Environmental policy says the water “flows” from reservoirs are necessary to produce a rebound of endangered Delta smelt and Chinook salmon. However, these policies are a failure as neither species have been collected in all of the latest trawling surveys.

Bro, coolest tour ever. Super villain level crazy. Too bad 9/11 happened. The tours stopped.

Taking a golf cart and driving miles underground into a room blasted out of granite. It was so WTF. The control room was built to be nuke proof. Cold war shit.

Just nuts. And the warnings for wind gusts. LoL. The doors can kill you.
Bad ass. I think I remember you mentioning this briefly back when it was in the news and then getting furiously fixed the next year.

Funny control room is nuke-proof... if a nuke dropped on that monster I don't think there'd be a hydro-plant to control any longer

Yeah, because Climate change isn't going anywhere and is directly tied to droughts and other conditions that will fuck up water supplies in the future. We've seen this in other parts of the world already.

The typical 'derp derp lol Ok, Greta' response doesn't change the facts.

It is not "solely" on government mismanagement. That's always part of it. But there are multiple factors.

Oh!! I didn't realize California has only been experiencing droughts recently due to climate change... lol

Thanks!!!

There is a poster here from Cali whose name escapes me. But whenever someone criticises California whether it's the homeless problem, the fires or the high taxes he always goes "that's just part and parcel of living in paradise". I guess we can add lack of water to the list.

Stupid people do stupid things. They literally care more about the Delta Smelt than living life. Trillions of gallons flow into the Pacific for a finger sized fish. Then we rip out almond trees because there is no water.

01californiasmelt.jpg

Lmao. This is why you have an apocalypse. Insanity.

And just lol at it being a DELTA variant of fish.

Back