News Gegard Mousasi to defend title vs. John Salter at Bellator 264, Aug. 13

Weird interview to be honest he kinda rambled back and forth. He doesn't seem happy with Bellator because they aren't giving him big fights at MW, and to be fair I don't think they really have a choice there's no big names to give him.

Doesn't want to move up to 205, maybe as a one off against the Champion of the LHW tournament but not permanently because he would need to take half a year at least to gain weight. Is willing to fight Vanderford. The cut is harder this time, his metabolism is slowing down, but he will make it. Thinks he may retire soon but also goes on to say he's not thinking about retirement and feels like he's in his prime.

The whole interview he gave off very strong cranky old man vibes.

Weird interview to be honest he kinda rambled back and forth. He doesn't seem happy with Bellator because they aren't giving him big fights at MW, and to be fair I don't think they really have a choice there's no big names to give him.

Doesn't want to move up to 205, maybe as a one off against the Champion of the LHW tournament but not permanently because he would need to take half a year at least to gain weight. Is willing to fight Vanderford. The cut is harder this time, his metabolism is slowing down, but he will make it. Thinks he may retire soon but also goes on to say he's not thinking about retirement and feels like he's in his prime.

The whole interview he gave off very strong cranky old man vibes.

So typical Mousasi then, There is no one big to give Mousasi at MW. Maybe Yoel but Yoel doesn’t want to cut down to MW anymore, so like a Catchweight bout?

Just received a leak on a probable ( close to) opener :
Mousasi -375
Salter +325

Sounds about right --- if off ( like by alot), lol, blame my source but he/ they are pretty reliable.

I hope Gegard healthy and ready to show hes still one of the top fighters in world.

Mousasi -375
Salter +325

Sounds about right --- if off ( like by alot), lol, blame my source but he/ they are pretty reliable.

I hope Gegard healthy and ready to show hes still one of the top fighters in world.
I’d say that’s closer than I expected. Thought Moose would’ve been a bigger favorite

Mousasi -375
Salter +325

No disrespect to Gegard, it's really hard to show anything against John Salter...

His Bellator Free Fight was against Andrew Kapel.

No disrespect to Gegard, it's really hard to show anything against John Salter...

His Bellator Free Fight was against Andrew Kapel.
Salter very underrated and another big middle. Flip side of coin , I can see Gegard being over confident with van steenis fight which was supposed to be a close fight and was. I could see mousasi in " licking his chops " mode but I hope not the case .I hope he comes in and handles business. These Bellator up and comers are serious ( I know Salter is 36) so I'm taking fight serious.

Salter very underrated and another big middle. Flip side of coin , I can see Gegard being over confident with van steenis fight which was supposed to be a close fight and was. I could see mousasi in " licking his chops " mode but I hope not the case .I hope he comes in and handles business. These Bellator up and comers are serious ( I know Salter is 36) so I'm taking fight serious.
Yeah looks like Salter is taking it very seriously as well based off his IG .. hope Gegard doesn’t underestimate him

Salter on paper has absolutely nothing for Moose. What's he going to do to him?

Salter on paper has absolutely nothing for Moose. What's he going to do to him?
I agree with this , especially with these mo mo s saying John has some grappling advantage. He does not and Gegard just as good on ground as John( jj). Yes, Mousasi has cleaner path on feet but if Salter finds mousasi on top of him- hes got big problems himself.
Gegards worst enemy is himself and the way he approaches certain fights which is ultra weird with his IQ( fight) and adaptability .

I agree with this , especially with these mo mo s saying John has some grappling advantage. He does not and Gegard just as good on ground as John( jj). Yes, Mousasi has cleaner path on feet but if Salter finds mousasi on top of him- hes got big problems himself.
Gegards worst enemy is himself and the way he approaches certain fights which is ultra weird with his IQ( fight) and adaptability .

I think Salter has a good top game, which is his only chance in this fight, but I don't think his wrestling is anywhere near enough to get on top of Moose. It would take a ridiculous fuckup or being shot overnight for Moose to lose this imo.

I think Salter has a good top game, which is his only chance in this fight, but I don't think his wrestling is anywhere near enough to get on top of Moose. It would take a ridiculous fuckup or being shot overnight for Moose to lose this imo.
Mousasi seems very confident ( he always does ) - just worried about this injury that hes healed from but - never by design- talks about it pre fight. I remember the Gus pull out . If he only knew Mousasi was fighting on one leg , he wouldnt of pulled from that cut.... especially with size advantage and prime Gus. Mousasi shows up, makes weight regardless/ circumstances and he and team keep their mouths closed. Under those conditions, he wouldve lost to Xander.
Obviously prime 205 Gus and 185 Salter are apples & cadillacs. I just dont know the specifics .Hes coming in heavy( off interview) so we'll see. Like you said , though, barring something crazy - on paper , Gegard should dominate.

Salter is getting that gogoplata set in as soon as it hits the mat.

But being real, I'm thinking a late finish for Mousasi is the likeliest of outcomes. Might still put some cash on Salter if the line is wide enough, but his gas tank will break down by the third round and it'll be all Gegard from then on.

I'm surprised you think his wrestling isn't anywhere near good enough. I'm not saying you're dead wrong or spot on but we've seen Salter take guys down including Lovato Jr (though he got out scrambled and it was his downfall in the end) and we've seen guys who get Moose down be able to hold him there. I see Salter in a best case scenario being able to replicate some of what Lovato did. He isn't as good as Lovato, but he's got quite a few of the same skills.

I think the line is reasonable, anything from 3-4:1 would have been. He's got a chance, but the most likely outcome has to be 'and still'.

I'm surprised you think his wrestling isn't anywhere near good enough. I'm not saying you're dead wrong or spot on but we've seen Salter take guys down including Lovato Jr (though he got out scrambled and it was his downfall in the end) and we've seen guys who get Moose down be able to hold him there. I see Salter in a best case scenario being able to replicate some of what Lovato did. He isn't as good as Lovato, but he's got quite a few of the same skills.

I think the line is reasonable, anything from 3-4:1 would have been. He's got a chance, but the most likely outcome has to be 'and still'.

From memory of the Lovato fight he had most of his success from half guard sweeps which he's absolutely world class at.

Salter has good wrestling and good technique. Salter has never been a great athlete and at his age what he had is fading. I do think he'll be a great coach because he lacks that athleticism so he makes up for it with game knowledge. But as a fighter, he's not very strong. Of course he's stronger than me, but compared to the other MWs in the division he's not as physically powerful as Mousasi, or particularly Lovato Jr, or Tokov, Vanderford, etc. And he's obviously not explosive. If he doesn't get knocked out quickly, I think he will probably take Mousasi down at some point. But he won't be able to do much more than lay on him. And Mousasi probably won't get the sub either, without rocking him first. But even if he lays on him, 10 seconds, 20 seconds, 30 seconds, Mousasi is stronger and unlike Van Steenis has good technique, so he will be able to stand up. And then Salter will have to take him down again, which will further deplete his gas tank, and Salter at his age and with his skill has a declining gas tank. So Salter will probably take him down a couple times, Mousasi will get back up, and then Salter will be tired and drop his hands and Mousasi will drop him. I don't really see any way Salter could win.

Vanderford is basically developing into a better Salter. He doesn't quite yet have the same jiu jitsu pool of knowledge but he's catching up. They're the same size but he's better in every way, faster, more explosive, stronger, better cardio. At a certain point Salter's body can't catch up to what his mind wants to do, if they were to fight tomorrow I'd pick Vanderford over Salter, even though he still has a little bit more to learn about jiu jitsu.

Mousasi -375
Salter +325

I'll be more interested in looking at the O2.5 odds.

For people who ask why no one wants to stand with Lima and just tries to take him down

Lovato the ONLY recent fighter " to keep mousasi down " but that was for 2 rounds and the enormous 5th degree did absolutely nothing in the way of sub attempts or offense . He smothered mousasi for part of the 3rd before Gegard actuslly swept Lovato and drilled holes in his face. We all saw the 4th round. Mousasi was chasing Lovato around the cage and catching up with him and sending him to the canvas . I thought that was a clear 10-8 round.
Gegard is slick with his butterfly guard and Jr sliced through that fairly easy but ,again, failed to do anything after the fact.
The champ ( GM) shouldve retained title for my money.

Nothing shocks me anymore so we'll see.

Back