News Gegard Mousasi to defend title vs. John Salter at Bellator 264, Aug. 13

The one thing I would say about Moose's performance last night is that although it isn't relevant, we were having this discussion at all and I'm no longer at all confident that he'd beat Marvin Vettori were they ever to fight.

Getting Petr Yan's attention is a victory on its own, IMO.

Performances like Mousasi, Stots, AJ, etc. open up conversations about UFC vs Bellator. Most people will agree UFC fighters will always win but at least there are some conversations happening.

Merab vs Stots II would be great! They both have become amazing fighters.

It's weird to me that Aljo is talking because he got slept by Marlon more recently than Stots got knocked out by Merab so he should acknowledge that fighters change/improve or else he'd be an illegitimate champion...which already isn't an unpopular opinion.

I think Vanzantderford is going to be a problem for Mousasi.
I was worried to see his arm in a brace though, have to watch that injury to make sure it gets better. It better heal fully or he will have a really tough time.

You are obviously extremely knowledeable about wrestler and wrestling in general, Im not sure if you've mentioned it before but whats your wrestling background?
I wish I had one haha. I fell in love with it during BJJ practice. I've done a lot to try to learn, watching technique videos and watching matches and studying, since then because I was passionate about it. In my BJJ gym I'd say, I can easily take down anyone without a wrestling background, and I have a very hard time taking down anyone with a high school/college wrestling background, that's where my skill level is at. That's why I complain so much about the lack of for-profit wrestling gyms. I feel like it's really hard to self-teach, and without consistent live rounds (most people in a bjj gym prefer not to roll from standing) it's hard to transfer what you learn in your head to the mat.

Tbf Yan beat Magomed more clearly in the first fight than Stots did last night and still "lost" somehow.

Plus Yan is always going to 10-7 guys on Twitter. 10-7 Yan again,
There is no denying Yan would be heavily favored bit just the facr that the fantasy match ups are happening and discussions on who and how would win is a victory for Stots and Bellator. You dont see these type of discussions or fantasy match ups between UFC fighters and RIZIN, ONE, or PFL fighters (and there should be).

Yan vs Stots vs generic Mexican fighter from Combate should be the real fantasy match ups.

There is no denying Yan would be heavily favored bit just the facr that the fantasy match ups are happening and discussions on who and how would win is a victory for Stots and Bellator. You dont see these type of discussions or fantasy match ups between UFC fighters and RIZIN, ONE, or PFL fighters (and there should be).

Yeah, for me Kerimov and Horiguchi are still the guys to make the dream match ups with at BW outside the UFC.

Yeah, for me Kerimov and Horiguchi are still the guys to make the dream match ups with at BW outside the UFC.
They're a bit smaller but yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing any of the matchups at BW.

Bring Magomedov/Yan 3, Merab/Stots 2, Stots/Magomedov 2, Stots/Yan, Stots/Aljo, Magomedov/Aljo. I'll watch it all.

And if the UFC won't pick up Kerimov, I think Bellator should do it. I think Bellator has found a very good formula with matching up CIS area sambists and American wrestlers. It produces a lot of good fighters, which in turn produces a lot of good fights. I'm even excited to see Minakov against Fortune. There are a lot of guys I have my eyes on. And I think we'll hopefully be getting a lot of good fights down the pipeline in both orgs. We'll see even what happens with the PFL. If they can't hold things together that could mean more spoils for everyone else.

Will be a lot closer than the Salter fight. The same game plan, though.

Yep, just need the cardio to be able to do it for 5 rounds. Salter did it for a round and by the second everyone could see him fading and he wasnt gonna be able to do it.

They're a bit smaller but yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing any of the matchups at BW.

Bring Magomedov/Yan 3, Merab/Stots 2, Stots/Magomedov 2, Stots/Yan, Stots/Aljo, Magomedov/Aljo. I'll watch it all.

And if the UFC won't pick up Kerimov, I think Bellator should do it. I think Bellator has found a very good formula with matching up CIS area sambists and American wrestlers. It produces a lot of good fighters, which in turn produces a lot of good fights. I'm even excited to see Minakov against Fortune. There are a lot of guys I have my eyes on. And I think we'll hopefully be getting a lot of good fights down the pipeline in both orgs. We'll see even what happens with the PFL. If they can't hold things together that could mean more spoils for everyone else.

I don't really want to see Magomedov Vs Yan III tbh, the 2nd fight showed pretty clearly to me which way that one would go.

I think Bellator probably wanted Kerimov, but I don't think Kerimov wants Bellator.

It's weird to me that Aljo is talking because he got slept by Marlon more recently than Stots got knocked out by Merab so he should acknowledge that fighters change/improve or else he'd be an illegitimate champion...which already isn't an unpopular opinion.

I was worried to see his arm in a brace though, have to watch that injury to make sure it gets better. It better heal fully or he will have a really tough time.

I wish I had one haha. I fell in love with it during BJJ practice. I've done a lot to try to learn, watching technique videos and watching matches and studying, since then because I was passionate about it. In my BJJ gym I'd say, I can easily take down anyone without a wrestling background, and I have a very hard time taking down anyone with a high school/college wrestling background, that's where my skill level is at. That's why I complain so much about the lack of for-profit wrestling gyms. I feel like it's really hard to self-teach, and without consistent live rounds (most people in a bjj gym prefer not to roll from standing) it's hard to transfer what you learn in your head to the mat.
In my town there are a couple of bjj and judo schools and a couple other mma schools. There are 0 wrestling schools within a couple hundred miles ratio from my town. We do learn some very basic wrestling at bjj but that is about it. The people who teach wrestling at the bjj schools are out of town guys who wrestled in HS or college.

Simiilarly I trained bjj for years and tried judo for a few days and loved it. Not the olympic bs judo you see but the old school judo that incorporates a lot of ground (newaza) and self defense. I kind of wish i had tried it before

I think Kerimov resigned with ACA, so he might become another AAA

In my town there are a couple of bjj and judo schools and a couple other mma schools. There are 0 wrestling schools within a couple hundred miles ratio from my town. We do learn some very basic wrestling at bjj but that is about it. The people who teach wrestling at the bjj schools are out of town guys who wrestled in HS or college.

Simiilarly I trained bjj for years and tried judo for a few days and loved it. Not the olympic bs judo you see but the old school judo that incorporates a lot of ground (newaza) and self defense. I kind of wish i had tried it before
Yeah, I think it's the fact that wrestling is state funded. It's a blessing and a curse, the curse aspect is that the non-profit clubs have horrible programs. Their programs are mostly for children so if you didn't get into wrestling by 18 then tough luck. I looked in my area, I live in a very big city over 2 million inhabitants in the greater area. The majority of wrestling clubs offer nothing for adults, there was one which allegedly offered a once a week class but when you click on it, it says the product is no longer available. And once gym offered an open mat twice a week for adults. Think about if a jiu jitsu gym offered such terrible programs, no one would go. And there's no marketing around wrestling either. In theory many people wrestle high school, but in reality most people fall away from wrestling over time after high school because there's no way to continue. The few people who continue, overwhelmingly choose to pay more to go to an MMA gym or a BJJ dojo than to their local wrestling clubs, because the product is so much worse, or just aren't aware of local wrestling clubs because there is no marketing.

I know he used the word dagestani and his words were my antecedent. But I always just use "chechen" as a catch all term...that or the technically correct term, "caucasian"...
From what I've read on Russian social media, guys from Caucasus sometimes don't like when Ossetians, Azeri and Armenians are called Caucasian. I think it's because Ossetians are Iranian, Azeri are Turkic and I'm not sure about Armenians.

I think Kerimov resigned with ACA, so he might become another AAA

I get the impression is the plan is to complete another contract with ACA, be something like 20-0 and then be all <{cum@me}> to Sean Shelby.

The one thing I would say about Moose's performance last night is that although it isn't relevant, we were having this discussion at all and I'm no longer at all confident that he'd beat Marvin Vettori were they ever to fight.
I disagree- in fact I'm even more confident that he beats marvin 20/ 20x. John is an elite grappler/ wrestler who is a southpaw and his right hand is his dominant hand( I bring this up cause moose had other things to be on spot regardless the big fave he was)Mousasi s chin and length offsets the second part but when a guy is fresh & dry and his only goal is to get mousasi on his back / dominant position ( failed on both) and was able to merely seat Gegard and fail to get him off cage while Mousasi was cool as a cucumber , I thought the early rounds would be more challenging.

He got up in first round and connected with 8 knees to body. 5 of them sent the wall- n - staller to his knees. Suprising, I had Gegard winning first round because of it.
I'd like to see the striking stats for all 2.2 rounds.
I dont know too much about mr. Vanzant but he was acting like he was so superior to salter. . The only thing I agree with that he has a speed advantage ( over salter).

Mousasi is in a lose lose unless he kos bellator middles inside the first round. It's really not fair.

I disagree- in fact I'm even more confident that he beats marvin 20/ 20x. John is an elite grappler/ wrestler who is a southpaw and his right hand is his dominant hand( I bring this up cause moose had other things to be on spot regardless the big fave he was)Mousasi s chin and length offsets the second part but when a guy is fresh & dry and his only goal is to get mousasi on his back / dominant position ( failed on both) and was able to merely seat Gegard and fail to get him off cage while Mousasi was cool as a cucumber , I thought the early rounds would be more challenging.

He got up in first round and connected with 8 knees to body. 5 of them sent the wall- n - staller to his knees. Suprising, I had Gegard winning first round because of it.
I'd like to see the striking stats for all 2.2 rounds.
I dont know too much about mr. Vanzant but he was acting like he was so superior to salter. . The only thing I agree with that he has a speed advantage ( over salter).

Mousasi is in a lose lose unless he kos bellator middles inside the first round. It's really not fair.

Marvin throws ground and pound non stop in those positions though and he has a much better gas tank than Salter.

Yep, just need the cardio to be able to do it for 5 rounds. Salter did it for a round and by the second everyone could see him fading and he wasnt gonna be able to do it.
Maybe-.maybe not. I think people getting to vested into vanderford s own words/ hype( which is a good thing). Salter was finishing everyone while mr vanzant going the distance with fighters that Mousasi would finish early ( absolutely no doubt ).
Maybe he continues to get better and is in prime ....and ends up being a tougher fight.
IDK - I'm not going to just concede the fact.
Mousasi will be the same 4-1 favorite so we'll see.

Marvin throws ground and pound non stop in those positions though and he has a much better gas tank than Salter.
When was Salter in a position to throw ground & pound ? . He was trying ( 1st round) to get in position.

I see marvin , maybe, going distance in a lopsided decision where he might bag the first round or getting finished.

Israel has better td defense than Gegard but mousasi has gotten so much better in that category and when taken down , hes immediately making the correct move unlike young Gegard.

When was Salter in a position to throw ground & pound ? . He was trying ( 1st round) to get in position.

I see marvin , maybe, going distance in a lopsided decision where he might bag the first round or getting finished.

Israel has better td defense than Gegard but mousasi has gotten so much better in that category and when taken down , hes immediately making the correct move unlike young Gegard.

Marvin throws ground and pound when you're against the fence whereas Salter will kind of forlornly hold onto your hips in an effort to flatten you out.

Salter is a solid bjj guy but not an accomplished wrestler...

Marvin throws ground and pound when you're against the fence whereas Salter will kind of forlornly hold onto your hips in an effort to flatten you out.
Maybe but then there are different reactions on the part of Mousasi. Salter didnt free up one of his hands because mousasi was already in position to wall walk the cage .....which he wouldve done.

As soon as Marvin makes the move of a punch, Gegard gets to his feet even if the iron chinned Armenian has to eat one.... and I would assume vettori may or may not do that knowing the savvy of mooses ground game.
Again, I acknowledge marvin as a better fighter than Salter but not quite the gap that people think.

Back