Gordon Ryan Claims He’s Received ‘Seven-Figure Offers’ to Compete in MMA

MMA and real fight are 2 different things as grappling and MMA are completely different sports.

Ryan smiles back when he gets hit. Not indicating extraordinary MMA potential.

MMA and real fight are 2 different things as grappling and MMA are completely different sports.

Ryan smiles back when he gets hit. Not indicating extraordinary MMA potential.

lol how was he not penalized for that? that's about as blatant a slap as you'll see.

edit: i probably should've finished the video before commenting. my apologies.

when i first started watching MMA circa 2004, i thought coleman was just some meathead who couldn't pick up any boxing or ground skills.

the older i get, the more i appreciate the absolute ferocity this man brought to the game at a pretty high age - he was 31 when he made his pro debut, by the time i saw him fight for the first time, he was almost 40. no wonder he couldn't evolve, it's shocking he got as far as he did... and i think most of it was just on pure rage and determination.
Wut.
Why are you ommitting the fact that Coleman is a silver medalist in the world wrestling championship and competed in the olympics for the USA in freestyle? That's enough to be a threat at 30 something, especially when he made his debut around UFC fucking 12 or something.

Wut.
Why are you ommitting the fact that Coleman is a silver medalist in the world wrestling championship and competed in the olympics for the USA in freestyle? That's enough to be a threat at 30 something, especially when he made his debut around UFC fucking 12 or something.
i'm just explaining how i saw him personally. when i first saw him fight, he was getting his ass kicked by people with better rounded skills. now, years later, i finally appreciate what he achieved in MMA and how he did it.

The real issue is random drug testing (PEDs are common in his sport to be honest)

"Don't take risks and be the goat of an offshoot of a fringe sport"

- Danaher

when i first started watching MMA circa 2004, i thought coleman was just some meathead who couldn't pick up any boxing or ground skills.

the older i get, the more i appreciate the absolute ferocity this man brought to the game at a pretty high age - he was 31 when he made his pro debut, by the time i saw him fight for the first time, he was almost 40. no wonder he couldn't evolve, it's shocking he got as far as he did... and i think most of it was just on pure rage and determination.
Honestly, his submission game was pretty formidable for what it was. Lots of control and pressure, an ability to viciously capitalize on moments moments of positional opportunity. I think his grappling was strong for what it was; I remember him choking out a dude with an arm-triangle choke and what he did to Dan Severn was no joke either. And I say that as someone who has rolled with Severn.

He should have some fights just for the fun of it

No surprise, Ryan is a beast that would be a draw in any combat sport.
<mma4>

7-figure contracts are actually more common than you think but it’s often something like 1 million dollars for 7 fights rather than 5 million per fight.

+1

LOL this reminds me of the "6-figure contract" that TUF contestants were fighting for. It was a 3 year deal of 9 fights that started at 10/10 then 12/12 and up. So you'd have to go 9-0 over 3 years to make real money and even that was dogshit all things considered.

7-figure contracts are actually more common than you think but it’s often something like 1 million dollars for 7 fights rather than 5 million per fight.

I get that what I meant by my post was that there's just no way Dana would offer Gordon the kind of money he's making now, and TBH I can't 100% even blame Dana here. Gordon is a draw sure, but he's not like a draw like some "pro wrasslin" guy like Brock or CM Punk where a huge offer would make sense. And TBH he's a giant wildcard. Could go out and leglock the guy, could also get KTFO in 10 secs.

I get that what I meant by my post was that there's just no way Dana would offer Gordon the kind of money he's making now, and TBH I can't 100% even blame Dana here. Gordon is a draw sure, but he's not like a draw like some "pro wrasslin" guy like Brock or CM Punk where a huge offer would make sense. And TBH he's a giant wildcard. Could go out and leglock the guy, could also get KTFO in 10 secs.
what you say is all true, but i think the first hurdle would definitely be the doping tests. there is no way they sign a guy to a big contract when everyone and their mother knows he's juiced to the gills and will likely fail the first random test he's subjected to.

what you say is all true, but i think the first hurdle would definitely be the doping tests. there is no way they sign a guy to a big contract when everyone and their mother knows he's juiced to the gills and will likely fail the first random test he's subjected to.

Luckily Dana just announced they are done with USADA. Still don't think Gordon will do MMA though.

Luckily Dana just announced they are done with USADA. Still don't think Gordon will do MMA though.
right, but not done with testing. it'll just be done by a different agency, they're not legalizing steroids.

King Ryan will lose his mystique if he goes into mma and eventually loses. His popularity is being the best nogi grappler at the moment. He is enjoying the grappling version of money success and popularity Connor McGregor had in the UFC before he started losing. Once he loses in mma, watch people turn on him real quick. He's aware of this that is why he and Danaher wants him to stay in grappling.
I think Danaher explained that MMA there is more likelihood of injury and the money is not really there until you reach the upper levels which will take 3 years if you are undefeated.

If Gordon is making 7 figures a year he is already making more than the 60% of MMA fighters. Unless Gordon has the same desire as Garry Tonon and will ignore Danaher's advice then does not make sense for him to fight.

He's not really explosive and he's roided way beyond the size his frame is suitable to carry. His striking would be abysmally slow I reckon. Probably gets KO'd trying to close the distance on Justin Tafa.

Imagine Gordon getting killed in his first MMA bout.

Danaher would attend his funeral in a rash-guard.

Back