House report on Boeing 737 Max published

HockeyBjj

Putting on the foil
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ny...business/boeing-737-max-house-report.amp.html

The two fatal crashes that killed 346 people aboard Boeing’s 737 Max and led to the worldwide grounding of the plane were the “horrific culmination” of engineering flaws, mismanagement and a severe lack of federal oversight, the Democratic majority on the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee said in a report on Wednesday.

The report, which condemns both Boeing and the Federal Aviation Administration for safety failures, concludes an 18-month investigation based on interviews with two dozen Boeing and agency employees and an estimated 600,000 pages of records. Over more than 200 pages, the Democrats argue that Boeing emphasized profits over safety and that the agency granted the company too much sway over its own oversight.

The congressional report identified five broad problems with the plane's design, construction and certification. First, the race to compete with the new Airbus A320neo led Boeing to make production goals and cost-cutting a higher priority than safety, the Democrats argued. Second, the company made deadly assumptions about software known as MCAS, which was blamed for sending the planes into nosedives. Third, Boeing withheld critical information from the F.A.A. Fourth, the agency’s practice of delegating oversight authority to Boeing employees left it in the dark. And finally, the Democrats accused F.A.A. management of siding with Boeing and dismissing its own experts.

Internal communications show that Boeing dismissed or failed to adequately address concerns raised by employees relating to MCAS and its reliance on a single external sensor, the committee found. It also accused Boeing of intentionally misleading F.A.A. representatives, echoing a July report from the Transportation Department’s inspector general.

That report found that Boeing had failed to share critical information with regulators about important changes to MCAS; had been slow to share a formal safety risk assessment with the agency; and had chosen to portray the software as a modification to an existing system rather than a new one, in part to ease the certification process.

Boeing execs need to be in prison for this. They killed people with cost cutting and ignoring known problems because it would delay or add costs to their plane that was already behind Airbus’. A large fine to the company is not enough.

Boeing execs need to be in prison for this. They killed people with cost cutting and ignoring known problems because it would delay or add costs to their plane that was already behind Airbus’. A large fine to the company is not enough.
By prison, you mean multi-million dollar severance package?

You ever see the Netflix doc? It's insane. These people are incompetent ghouls, and I for one, will be asking what type of plane I will be flying on in the future. They're all the way down to "Whoopsie doodle! We didn't bolt that panel in at the factory. We're sorry."

I've worked at a few factories. You know how many eyes that shit has to get by, before it's installed(and checked again) in the final product? The people who make candy dispensing vending machines have higher standards than this joke of an airline.

They shouldn't be allowed to operate at this point.

Well, this is the result of letting corporations get this large, they inevitably become cartels. Boeing...headed by the former McDonnell-Douglas goons, are convinced they're above regulation and above the law.

Wait…

So it wasn’t just “diversity hires” but actual rich folks doing the same old bullshit they been doing for generations?

Interesting.

Almost makes you wonder if Boeing was the driving force behind that short lil movement of shitting on pilots of color..

Hmmmmm

Nobody better discuss this issue without also discussing that Republicans have deregulated these industries loosening standards which led to this and the Democratic administrations have also done the same thing.

You can blame the company but why not the federal government for loosening oversight??

Isn't deregulation one of the main talking points for Republicans?

My last couple of flights were on a 747 Max and my next one will be too. This and all the other boeing news of late doesn’t exactly inspire confidence lol. They’re pretty much impossible to avoid if you’re flying domestic.

Nobody better discuss this issue without also discussing that Republicans have deregulated these industries loosening standards which led to this and the Democratic administrations have also done the same thing.

You can blame the company but why not the federal government for loosening oversight??

Isn't deregulation one of the main talking points for Republicans?
What is the direct regulation that was removed that allows this to happen? , or do you mean in general. More rules mean things like this won't happen? because it still would.

What is the direct regulation that was removed that allows this to happen? , or do you mean in general. More rules mean things like this won't happen? because it still would.
they were allowed to have the mechanic/assemblers inspect their own work rather than being required to have a totally different group/crew of people inspect that same work. this led directly to the problems. all to save a buck. they let the fox guard the hen-house basically.

that's one but I think there are others.

they were allowed to have the mechanic/assemblers inspect their own work rather than being required to have a totally different group/crew of people inspect that same work. this led directly to the problems. all to save a buck. they let the fox guard the hen-house basically.

that's one but I think there are others.
Where are you getting that information from? They violated the rules, did Trump's admin deregulate something that would have prevented this? because I don't see it. Here are some of the things that have to be followed.

1. Certification Standards: Aircraft must meet specific certification standards set by regulatory bodies such as the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) in the United States or the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) in Europe. These standards cover various aspects of aircraft design, construction, systems, performance, and operation.
  2. Design and Engineering Standards: Aircraft manufacturers must adhere to rigorous design and engineering standards to ensure the structural integrity, performance, and safety of their aircraft. These standards cover areas such as aerodynamics, materials, systems integration, and crashworthiness.
  3. Manufacturing Processes: Aircraft manufacturers must follow strict manufacturing processes to ensure the quality and consistency of their products. This includes adherence to standards such as ISO 9001 for quality management and AS9100 for aerospace quality management systems.
  4. Supply Chain Management: Aircraft manufacturers are responsible for managing their supply chains to ensure that components and materials meet regulatory and quality requirements. This may involve supplier audits, quality control processes, and traceability systems.
  5. Testing and Certification: Aircraft must undergo rigorous testing and certification processes to demonstrate compliance with regulatory requirements. This includes ground testing, flight testing, and certification by regulatory authorities.
  6. Maintenance and Repair Standards: Aircraft manufacturers must provide guidance and support for maintenance and repair activities throughout the lifecycle of their aircraft. This includes documentation, training, and support for maintenance personnel.
  7. Environmental Regulations: Aircraft manufacturers must comply with environmental regulations related to emissions, noise, and other environmental impacts associated with aircraft operation and manufacturing processes.
  8. Export Controls: Aircraft manufacturers may be subject to export controls and regulations governing the export of aerospace technology and products to other countries.

Where are you getting that information from? They violated the rules, did Trump's admin deregulate something that would have prevented this? because I don't see it. Here are some of the things that have to be followed.

1. Certification Standards: Aircraft must meet specific certification standards set by regulatory bodies such as the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) in the United States or the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) in Europe. These standards cover various aspects of aircraft design, construction, systems, performance, and operation.
  2. Design and Engineering Standards: Aircraft manufacturers must adhere to rigorous design and engineering standards to ensure the structural integrity, performance, and safety of their aircraft. These standards cover areas such as aerodynamics, materials, systems integration, and crashworthiness.
  3. Manufacturing Processes: Aircraft manufacturers must follow strict manufacturing processes to ensure the quality and consistency of their products. This includes adherence to standards such as ISO 9001 for quality management and AS9100 for aerospace quality management systems.
  4. Supply Chain Management: Aircraft manufacturers are responsible for managing their supply chains to ensure that components and materials meet regulatory and quality requirements. This may involve supplier audits, quality control processes, and traceability systems.
  5. Testing and Certification: Aircraft must undergo rigorous testing and certification processes to demonstrate compliance with regulatory requirements. This includes ground testing, flight testing, and certification by regulatory authorities.
  6. Maintenance and Repair Standards: Aircraft manufacturers must provide guidance and support for maintenance and repair activities throughout the lifecycle of their aircraft. This includes documentation, training, and support for maintenance personnel.
  7. Environmental Regulations: Aircraft manufacturers must comply with environmental regulations related to emissions, noise, and other environmental impacts associated with aircraft operation and manufacturing processes.
  8. Export Controls: Aircraft manufacturers may be subject to export controls and regulations governing the export of aerospace technology and products to other countries.
I think its in this breakdown. It's called delegation and it allows for Boeing employees to also be FAA inspectors, which is obviously a conflict of interest due to deregulation policies.

Last edited:
My thread from 2020 which got zero replies is finally getting attention in 2024 lol
To be fair, the first poster on this board I remember caterwauling about this plane, and Boeing itself, was @VivaRevolution (orwhatever that tag was). I chided him at the time, I thought he was making a mountain out of a molehill, because most of us live our lives oblivious to the mountainous number of safety violations that flow down the river under the gaze of government watchdogs every day, and then panic when we suddenly put a magnifying glass to something that was always happening right under our noses, but in this case, he was right, and I was wrong. Boeing fucked up badly.

On the other hand, Viva was that conspiracy theorist who cried the sky was falling every time any of those narratives were belched up from the underbelly of fringe journalism. Everything was some massively elaborate western/corporate scheme, so he also might have simply benefited from being the broken clock.

*Edit* For example, he fell hook, line, and sinker for this one. The irony is there was a massive, well-funded, government-assisted conspiracy of disinformation. He just happened to be the sucker who bought it. But enough of this derail, I suppose.

The ‘Echo Chamber’ of Syrian Chemical Weapons Conspiracy Theorists

Last edited:
Well, this is the result of letting corporations get this large, they inevitably become cartels. Boeing...headed by the former McDonnell-Douglas goons, are convinced they're above regulation and above the law.
Which is worrying when nuclear power corps doing the same thing, covering up internal mess ups, paying lobbyists for favorable regulations, paying consulting firms to shift public perception that nuclear power is clean and safe.

Which is worrying when nuclear power corps doing the same thing, covering up internal mess ups, paying lobbyists for favorable regulations, paying consulting firms to shift public perception that nuclear power is clean and safe.
Nuclear power is by far the cleanest and safest energy per unit of power produced. It's just that it has the potential for the most calamitous and enduring failures when there is a categorical breakdown of safety.

My last couple of flights were on a 747 Max and my next one will be too. This and all the other boeing news of late doesn’t exactly inspire confidence lol. They’re pretty much impossible to avoid if you’re flying domestic.
Can you take a train?

Back