Opinion How to pay for Medicare 4 all

So govt will run healthcare at as least as efficiently as private industry? I'll gladly pay the profit tax of 10% just keep the government out of it.
Government wouldn't "run" healthcare, it would pay for healthcare.

Government already pays if you have medicare/medicaid or if you work for the government. How is it any different?

The whole purpose of Medicare for all is so everybody has coverage and nobody has to fear medical bankruptcy. Of course there will still be losers, mainly the high middle class and billionaires. But overall there will be less losers and that’s a good thing.

The whole purpose of Medicare for all is so everybody has coverage and nobody has to fear medical bankruptcy. Of course there will still be losers, mainly the high middle class and billionaires. But overall there will be less losers and that’s a good thing.
It's like people lose their minds and listen to fear mongering who tell them there will be "death panels" and "you can't choose your doctor".

Just need to ask their parents or grandparents if they choose their own doctors.

Can someone name a program or function that the federal government does well and efficiently?

Can someone name a program or function that the federal government does well and efficiently?

I could also say the same about Corporate run healthcare based on cost estimates. Administration cost are rising faster then the costs for treatments.

Doctors, hospital stays and post surgical services have not gone up as fast. Top it off the added complexity on hospitals and doctors have caused cost increases. Ending the 3rd party administration would streamline the process and reduce redundancies and resources.

Medicare.

If the government doesn't do it well enough for you, just let me know when you come of age and forward your social security checks to me.

I could also say the same about Corporate run healthcare based on cost estimates. Administration cost are rising faster then the costs for treatments.

Doctors, hospital stays and post surgical services have not gone up as fast. Top it off the added complexity on hospitals and doctors have caused cost increases. Ending the 3rd party administration would streamline the process and reduce redundancies and resources.
Hospitals kick people out when their insurance runs out. I'm guessing he likes that system.

There's literally an example within healthcare. Medicare is more popular than private insurance and more cost effective.

...so that's a no then?

Medicare.

If the government doesn't do it well enough for you, just let me know when you come of age and forward your social security checks to me.

I said efficiently. The federal government is the largest buyer of prescription drugs on the planet and yet they passed a law that they cannot negotiate drug prices. In 2020 its also predicted that it will spend more than it takes in and its projected to be insolvent in 2026.

To have successful single payer you need government regulation of every single cost in the healthcare chain...from med school cost, to salaries, to procedures. And when tasked, they can't even be trusted to negotiate drug prices without purposely hamstringing themselves because god forbid they appear to be taking profits from their corporate donors.

Medicare.

Medicare.

Then why do 81% of medicare recipients require additional supplemental insurance, and why is there a growing number of doctors that don't accept medicare?

The VA is another example of "free healthcare". The VA budget has almost doubled in the last 10 years, 2/3 that are eligible don't use it, and those that do get 75% of their heathcare outside the VA.

It's like people lose their minds and listen to fear mongering who tell them there will be "death panels" and "you can't choose your doctor".

Just need to ask their parents or grandparents if they choose their own doctors.

The lower middle class and the poor already don’t have a choice of doctor due to the out of control costs.

Social Security is about as efficient as it can possibly be. Medicare, Medicaid, VA. That's already most of what the federal gov't does.

As for the thread answer, I'm tempted to say that Bernie should just say that we're going to make Mexico pay for it, but really, liberals should hold themselves up to a higher standard.

Then why do 81% of medicare recipients require additional supplemental insurance, and why is there a growing number of doctors that don't accept medicare?

The VA is another example of "free healthcare". The VA budget has almost doubled in the last 10 years, 2/3 that are eligible don't use it, and those that do get 75% of their heathcare outside the VA.
Your argument for keeping it the same is falling on deaf ears. 30 million people with no healthcare. Another 50 million with inadequate healthcare in the richest country to ever exist.

I looked up your numbers. 81% aren't required to have additional insurance. They have additional insurance thru their work, petitions, or some type of Medicare or Medicaid drug prescription. This is not the same as required. They are in a private Medicare advantage plan. You overstated it to make a point.

Medicare is a federal program, covering more than 61 million seniors and disabled Americans throughout the country. Medicare beneficiaries in most areas have the option to get their coverage via private Medicare Advantage plans, and a little more than a third do so.

The other two-thirds have Original Medicare, but 81 percent of those enrollees supplement their coverage with employer-sponsored coverage, Medigap, or Medicaid. And more than 25 million Medicare beneficiaries also purchase stand-alone Medicare Part D Prescription drug coverage, since Original Medicare (and some Medicare Advantage plans) does not cover outpatient drug costs.

There is significant variation from one state to another in terms of availability, pricing, and regulation of private Medicare plans, and Medicare beneficiaries in different areas often make different choices about their coverage.

Source: https://www.medicareresources.org/states/

The VA doubling it's budget and people not being able to take advantage of it has nothing to do with Medicare. Another misstatement with no source.

I said efficiently. The federal government is the largest buyer of prescription drugs on the planet and yet they passed a law that they cannot negotiate drug prices. In 2020 its also predicted that it will spend more than it takes in and its projected to be insolvent in 2026.

To have successful single payer you need government regulation of every single cost in the healthcare chain...from med school cost, to salaries, to procedures. And when tasked, they can't even be trusted to negotiate drug prices without purposely hamstringing themselves because god forbid they appear to be taking profits from their corporate donors.
This really shows that you have no idea what you are talking about.

And your reply has nothing to do with Medicare at all.

The lower middle class and the poor already don’t have a choice of doctor due to the out of control costs.
But I like things being the same. I like having a $5000 deductible. I like their being no cost control on drugs needed to stay alive.

Back