I feel like Prime Chael Sonnen would have Decisioned GSP

Just too strong, too fast, too explosive. His wrestling was really good!

He outwrestled bigger stronger guys than GSP.

I think he gets on top of him and beats on him. Doesn’t finish him.

GSP doesn’t sub people off of his back. He wrestles and gets to his feet.

GSP has obviously better standup but I don’t think he hits as hard as the guys that Chael has been out wrestling. Chael doesn’t get knocked out easy.

GSP is never on his back

Just too strong, too fast, too explosive. His wrestling was really good!

He outwrestled bigger stronger guys than GSP.

I think he gets on top of him and beats on him. Doesn’t finish him.

GSP has obviously better standup but I don’t think he hits as hard as the guys that Chael has been out wrestling. Chael doesn’t get knocked out easy.
Lollololol

Yes Chael outwrestled prime bisping and GSP failed against retirement Bisping so Chael would obviously win

Except that was a 36.5 year old GSP in his 28th pro fight coming off a 4 year layoff UP a weight class 15 pounds that he didn't even gain weight for due to ulcerative colitis.

May sound like excuses to the low IQ but it's context and the facts of the situation if the more speculative things (colitis, weight, worse camp of his career) are to be believed.

Compared with Sonnen who was most likely abusing TRT at the time and many thought Bisping won that fight btw from what I recall. GSP finished Bisping although yes that was an older 1.5 eyed Bisping, it was still the champion beat Rockhold and Hendo version, let's be fair.

Who knows who wins when a guy is up 15 pounds, but I'd bet on GSP. It's like Khabib if he went to 170, many not amazing names "could" beat him like Covington, Woodley, Usman obviously, etc.

Chael was a very tough match up at his best. He was durable and tough. The only guy he lost to at MW was Anderson and Maia. I think he would have given GSP a very tough fight. While no doubt GSP was the better and more skilled fighter, I think the size would even that out. GSP is a true WW, fought at MW but really he was 190. Sonnen is a true LHW that moved down, he was around 215 lbs. You got about a 25 lb natural size difference here and that would be significant for a guy who's got a heavy grappling style.

GSP took Ping down multiple times fairly easily

Also not like GSP was in his prime either
No wrestlers have trouble getting bisping down big boy, its keeping him down there that is the hard part.

chael outwrestled him and kept him down long enough to win the fight.

gsp took retirement ping down, got shredded, and let him back up.

Chael grappled with GSP twice, says himself Georges did better than him twice, also says GSP is the 2nd strongest guy he ever grappled with and he said NOT P4P strongest but outright second strongest guy regardless of weight.

No wrestlers have trouble getting bisping down big boy, its keeping him down there that is the hard part.

chael outwrestled him and kept him down long enough to win the fight.

gsp took retirement ping down, got shredded, and let him back up.
You literally just admitted GSP LET him back up because he got elbowed lol

Also it was retirement GSP too haha, wonder how retirement Chael would do... betting he would get murked by either one because he was juiced tf up when he fought Ping

GSP already proved he could make very good wrestlers look silly aside from Hendricks. Chael was a good fighter and grappler in his prime, but if GSP decides to go up to MW and stay there he could have been just as strong, maybe stronger than Chael. I see it competitive but decisive for GSP (4 rounds to 1)
Hendricks looked good because GSP had 2 blown knees. GSP would have also had 2 blown knees against Sonnen in that time period. Sonnen > GSP then.

Da fuck are you all smoking?

GSP would Hape Chael with striking and the grappling question wouldn't come up.

Chael was a very tough match up at his best. He was durable and tough. The only guy he lost to at MW was Anderson and Maia. I think he would have given GSP a very tough fight. While no doubt GSP was the better and more skilled fighter, I think the size would even that out. GSP is a true WW, fought at MW but really he was 190. Sonnen is a true LHW that moved down, he was around 215 lbs. You got about a 25 lb natural size difference here and that would be significant for a guy who's got a heavy grappling style.

Sonnen lost to more people at MW although not in his prime

Sonnen lost to more people at MW although not in his prime

Yah, I am looking at Chael from 2009 to 2012 when he went on his title run and went through guys like Okami, Nate, Bisping etc. It was always submission defense that got him vs guys like Filho, Maia, Horn etc while he was on top. I think GSP no doubt has the skills to sub Chael, but I just wonder if the size would play a factor where he would power out of it being the bigger man. Chael from 2009 onward gained some mass.

Back