I feel like Prime Chael Sonnen would have Decisioned GSP

No wrestlers have trouble getting bisping down big boy, its keeping him down there that is the hard part.

chael outwrestled him and kept him down long enough to win the fight.

gsp took retirement ping down, got shredded, and let him back up.

GSP sunk a RNC when Bisping did his classic "give the back in order to get up" move.

Just too strong, too fast, too explosive. His wrestling was really good!

He outwrestled bigger stronger guys than GSP.

I think he gets on top of him and beats on him. Doesn’t finish him.

GSP doesn’t sub people off of his back. He wrestles and gets to his feet.

GSP has obviously better standup but I don’t think he hits as hard as the guys that Chael has been out wrestling. Chael doesn’t get knocked out easy.
lol he got wrecked by old ass Rashad Evans and couldn't do shit to him.

GSP would tool him

Nah Sonnen quits when put he meets some opposition.

You mean a roided to the tits middleweight title contender, might be able to beat a welterweight?

What a bold and controversial take.

giphy.gif

This is exactly the deep dive material I come here for.

I feel like they fought in different weight classes.

lol he got wrecked by old ass Rashad Evans and couldn't do shit to him.
Chael is 43 years old and began his MMA career in 1997.
Rashad is 40 years old and began his MMA career in 2004.

Sonnen is the old one.

GSP has obviously better standup but I don’t think he hits as hard as the guys that Chael has been out wrestling. Chael doesn’t get knocked out easy.

So you think a natural MW and LHW who in his prime was on testosterone enhancers could beat the WW GSP

What a stunning and bold prediction

Also no GSP destroys him and Chael will probably even tell you that

"I feel like a guy who was competitive with the top guys in his weight class, in his prime, would do well against a guy one or two weight classes lower"

Insightful.

Chael is 43 years old and began his MMA career in 1997.
Rashad is 40 years old and began his MMA career in 2004.

Sonnen is the old one.
and Georges would have made him look old had they fought.

Yah, I am looking at Chael from 2009 to 2012 when he went on his title run and went through guys like Okami, Nate, Bisping etc. It was always submission defense that got him vs guys like Filho, Maia, Horn etc while he was on top. I think GSP no doubt has the skills to sub Chael, but I just wonder if the size would play a factor where he would power out of it being the bigger man. Chael from 2009 onward gained some mass.

Certainly gained some mass and overal physicalitty since started taking PEDs in 2008 (according to him, and seems pretty open about the matter).
That wasnt the reason for him not getting sub though
- Acquired better BJJ fundamentals under Fabiano "Pega leve" since around that time too
- Okami, Marquardt, Bisping or Stan are not even close the sub threats Maia, Filho or Horn are off their back

Nate had a very tight one (Sonnen says he went out for a moment)
Sonnen's "enhanced" superior physicality played a big role in fights with bloated WWs as Miller and Okami (Nate was on PEDs too)

His fight with Bisping was very close but I though he lost. So did Chael himself:

I dont think GSP has the skills to sub Chael - he is not Maila, Filho or Horn neither - but he could beat him by superior standup and mix it up with shots. Maybe open a sub with strikes as he did to Bisping.

I'd expect GSP to beat any of the MWs that lost to Chael, maybe even more handly
I'd favour GSP vs any MW around 2009 except Anderson. Maybe Henderson, Belfort and Machida in case they dropped to 185

There was higher risk fighting 185lbers though, and GSP is arguably the most conservative and cautious champion we have had, no doubt among the GOAT contenders

Chael should be able to hes way bigger than GSP.....and even then I would still pick GSP lol

BREAKING: Former LHW, current HW, large MW, bad style matchup for WW.

Chael would.have walked thru gsp's jab and smothered him for as long as he wanted. Chael is 6'1 and probably walks around at 220. He is just way bigger and stronger. Im not saying chael was exceptionally skilled but neither was georges.

Chael would.have walked thru gsp's jab and smothered him for as long as he wanted. Chael is 6'1 and probably walks around at 220. He is just way bigger and stronger. Im not saying chael was exceptionally skilled but neither was georges.

I dont think Chael keeps GSP down for longer, as he couldnt with Bisping or another bloated WW in Okami. Maybe he could get some TDs but GSP would make him work and eventually punish him with strikes to a dec if he didnt find the opening as vs one-eyed Bisping

Back