Media Ian Garry not interested in fight vs MVP: "His number's (ranking) not higher than mine"

You fat nerds live in a fantasy world and don't see MMA fighters as real humans but as "heels" or "faces", like Pro Wrestling characters. You will hate Garry no matter what he says because in your mind he's a "heel".

Based on that... why should Colby accept the fight?

Who else is Colby supposed to fight? He should be fighting someone below him in the rankings who deserves a step up, Garry makes perfect sense. Surely Colby would much rather fight someone like Garry compared to the other deserving contenders like Shavkat or JDM.

Its true Mvp is ranked lower then Gary, however the ufc is going to try and push mvp asap. So I think this match up makes sense

I miss the era when guys just wanted to throw down.

A lot of ducking these days, even from those with a big mouth.

Its not like Ian has really established himself as being elite within the division. Honestly his stock isnt that much higher than MVPs really considering MVP already had some star power coming in to the UFC.

It'd be a great fight for a UK card. Then again so would Leon/Ian if Ian wins a few more.

So you like meaningless punches and crotch sniffing. Interesting.

Garry is 14-0, 7-0 in the UFC, ranked #7 and coming off wins over 3 ranked opponents. Why should he have to fight backwards in the rankings?

As far as getting an opponent above him, Colby is the one that makes the most sense to book him against in the near future. Very unlikely that Kamaru Usman would take that fight I think.

Its not like Ian has really established himself as being elite within the division. Honestly his stock isnt that much higher than MVPs really considering MVP already had some star power coming in to the UFC.
Ah, I see. You're confusing "being elite" with "some star power." See, they're not the same thing. Garry's divisional stock IS much higher than MVP's.

I'm not sure why everyone's acting like this is the same thing as Chandler, a guy who was Bellator champ twice and had a victory over a guy who went to become a UFC champ, something that was already better than the first few wins he got in the UFC. That's proven stock. MVP beating Holland just now is arguably his biggest win, especially considering he couldn't beat Lima without the judges help.

You fat nerds live in a fantasy world and don't see MMA fighters as real humans but as "heels" or "faces", like Pro Wrestling characters. You will hate Garry no matter what he says because in your mind he's a "heel".
Actually the opposite. I find him genuinely unlikable.

So has everyone already just accepted that Colby is too scared to fight Garry so they’ve moved on?

Nah I think Colby will actually take the fight given what choices he has at this point. He has to face a rising contender, UFC isn't interested in giving him any more softballs going forward so no matter how much he begs for it he won't get the Wonderboy fight. If his choices of a next opponent are Shavkat, JDM or Garry then Garry is the way to go imo.

Garry's divisional stock IS much higher than MVP's.

His divisional stock is beating Geoff Neal, Neil Magny and D-Rod. Its not like hes next in line for a title shot or comes across as some higher tier of fighter than MVP. Add in MVP having name value to offer in that fight, and the idea of "I wont fight you because i'm #7 and you're #13" seems pretty ridiculous, especially in a not particularly deep division.

It's a good thing that not EVERYONE feels inclined to turn down fights against lower ranked opponents because then the UFC would have to shut down.

Its not like hes next in line for a title shot
There's a huge line forming for the title now, of course Garry isn't on it yet
or comes across as some higher tier of fighter than MVP.
Oh, he very clearly is on a higher tier of contender. He won a bunch of fights against good opponents. MVP hasn't. Holland barely maintains enough consistency to sneak a ranking these days. Neal and Neil have been basically permanent fixtures.

Add in MVP having name value to offer in that fight
Peoplw REALLY overrate fighting "popular" fighters. It almost never gives a fighter the "shine" they think it does, and fan respect goes out the window on a dime

and the idea of "I wont fight you because i'm #7 and you're #13" seems pretty ridiculous,
Not when that 7 should be fighting up. Why would it ever work that you should beat someone and then go backwards from that opponent?

especially in a not particularly deep division.
That's insane to think WW isn't deep.

How much lower was Holland ranked compared to Magny or Neal at the time they fought? Both of them have only fought fringe top 10 guys on the backside of their career, seems they should be ranked just about the same ... read: not high enough to fucking matter anyway. Such a fucking stupid argument I'm sick of these wannabe waltz to a title shot clowns always making. 'BuT mY mAdE uP UfC nUmBeR iS hIgHeR!'

Looking for any excuse?

Ducking a main even caliber fight with a guy who’s far more recognized than him isn’t a valid reason to call him out?

Who should he fight? Washed Gilbert Burns with a ton of recent losses on his record solely for ranking?

Please leave MMA for the men little guy lol.

{<huh}

What the fuck are you smoking, Burns would wipe the floor with MVP. Page is a career can crusher. He had some name value outside the UFC but he has known flaws in his game and isn't an elite fighter.

Garry is an undefeated surging fighter with 7 fights in the UFC, his last two wins were against better and higher ranked fighters than Michael Page. He's on the verge of fighting for a title. And you think it makes sense for him to fight a worse fighter than his last two wins? Put the crack pipe down.

His divisional stock is beating Geoff Neal, Neil Magny and D-Rod. Its not like hes next in line for a title shot or comes across as some higher tier of fighter than MVP. Add in MVP having name value to offer in that fight, and the idea of "I wont fight you because i'm #7 and you're #13" seems pretty ridiculous, especially in a not particularly deep division.

Geoff Neal and Neil Magny are both ranked above MVP. Ian Garry beat number 11 and number 8 and you're arguing he should take a worse opponent than his last two wins. Do you not understand how stupid and nonsensical that would be?

I don't know why you people keep bringing up name value when Colby has more name value than MVP and beating him would make Garry a top contender.

How much lower was Holland ranked compared to Magny or Neal at the time they fought?
Holland was #13

Rodriguez was #15
Magny was #11
Neal was #8

Both of them have only fought fringe top 10 guys on the backside of their career, seems they should be ranked just about the same ... read: not high enough to fucking matter anyway.
So you issue the complaint that those guys only fought fringe top 10 guys on the backside of their careers, then go on to say that Garry should continue fighting fringe top 10 guys for the 4th time in a row despite winning the previous 3 times on the upside of his career..

Yeah, no that's stupid. He should fight up

Last edited:
Back