Media Ian Garry not interested in fight vs MVP: "His number's (ranking) not higher than mine"

Who else is Colby supposed to fight? He should be fighting someone below him in the rankings who deserves a step up, Garry makes perfect sense. Surely Colby would much rather fight someone like Garry compared to the other deserving contenders like Shavkat or JDM.
There is a whole roster of people for Colby to fight, why on earth would he give the opportunity to someone he actively dislikes? Makes zero sense.

There is a whole roster of people for Colby to fight, why on earth would he give the opportunity to someone he actively dislikes? Makes zero sense.

- Tyron Woodley
- Jorge Masvidal
- Kamaru Usman

I thought Colby loved fighting people he dislikes?

- Tyron Woodley
- Jorge Masvidal
- Kamaru Usman

I thought Colby loved fighting people he dislikes?
Who knows, maybe openly fucking with him is because he wanted the fight and is hyping it up? Wouldn't be the first time.

so by his logic, he can never fight for the title

Sorry but an undefeated guy at #7 in the rankings with 7 straight UFC wins shouldn't be looking backwards, especially at a guy who just made his debut
Someone's going to have to fight down though and Garry's last fight was a split decision win and was very lackluster which puts him at risk of having to fight down in the rankings. MVP is also one of the biggest signings the UFC has had in a while in terms of big named non UFC fighters. They are also having a UK card that it would probably sell very well on.

Someone's going to have to fight down though and Garry's last fight was a split decision win and was very lackluster which puts him at risk of having to fight down in the rankings. MVP is also one of the biggest signings the UFC has had in a while in terms of big named non UFC fighters. They are also having a UK card that it would probably sell very well on.
Yeah, and the formula for that is so well known, it's basically tired at this point, and I sit here confused as to how people don't get it. The fighters who need to build back up fight down, and the people who surge fight up. It's incredibly standard.

Fighting down cuz your last win was close is pretty dumb. It should only slow your momentum, not throw it in reverse. And fighting down from his own ranking is one thing, but what's being demanded here is that he fight someone below the ranking of the guy he just beat, which is incredibly inarguable from any point of view not swimming in bias. Why on Earth is that even a consideration? We just treat it like he lost anyway?

MVP is a name, but not one because he's great, he's a name because he's exciting. Like I said earlier in this thread:
I'm not sure why everyone's acting like this is the same thing as Chandler, a guy who was Bellator champ twice and had a victory over a guy who went to become a UFC champ, something that was already better than the first few wins he got in the UFC. That's proven stock. MVP beating Holland just now is arguably his biggest win, especially considering he couldn't beat Lima without the judges help.

And a foreign card is almost always better served having each of their fighters fighting someone else so you can better fill the card out. Putting them together on a local card takes that away

Lol dumb post is dumb. Garry is undefeated and his last two opponents were higher ranked than MVP. He's on the way up, not down and it makes no sense to fight a worse opponent than his last two wins. Any reason MVP can't fight Neal, Magny, Luque or Wonderboy?

Holland was #13

Rodriguez was #15
Magny was #11
Neal was #8

So you issue the complaint that those guys only fought fringe top 10 guys on the backside of their careers, then go on to say that Garry should continue fighting fringe top 10 guys for the 4th time in a row despite winning the previous 3 times on the upside of his career..

Yeah, no that's stupid. He should fight up
Not at all, I'm saying him trying to pull the rankings bullshit is asinine because they have both beat the same level of fighter and should be ranked around the same, so a fight between them would boost either of them up the rankings. He's making it sound like fighting and beating MVP would do nothing for him, which is incorrect.

I get he wants to angle his way up the rankings without fighting anyone like all of the hype jobs do, just think he's overlooking a good opportunity and he's underrating how popular MVP is just because he built his fanbase outside of the UFC crushing cans, instead of inside the UFC crushing cans. Instead, he's chasing ANOTHER hype job with an inflated ranking due to pro wrestling shit circus that the UFC is in Colby. I get it though.

Not at all, I'm saying him trying to pull the rankings bullshit is asinine because they have both beat the same level of fighter and should be ranked around the same, so a fight between them would boost either of them up the rankings. He's making it sound like fighting and beating MVP would do nothing for him, which is incorrect.
No, they haven't beaten the same level of fighter. Garry beat number 8 and number 11, MVP beat number 13 and is currently number 13 and ranked below Neal and Magny. Garry has 7 UFC wins, MVP has 1. They aren't at the same level.

And he's correct, beating MVP would do nothing for him. It wouldn't move him up in the rankings, it wouldn't get him closer to another title shot.

I get he wants to angle his way up the rankings without fighting anyone like all of the hype jobs do
{<huh}

What is this horseshit? He has 7 fights in the UFC. He got to where he is by beating the number 8 and number 11 fighter. What makes sense next for him is to fight someone in the 3 to 6.

I love how you're simultaneously dismissing his wins, falsely claiming he isn't fighting anyone while also demanding he face a weaker opponent than his last two wins. You're the one arguing for him to take a pointless fight instead of working his way up.

just think he's overlooking a good opportunity and he's underrating how popular MVP is just because he built his fanbase outside of the UFC crushing cans, instead of inside the UFC crushing cans. Instead, he's chasing ANOTHER hype job with an inflated ranking due to pro wrestling shit circus that the UFC is in Colby. I get it though.
Colby is both higher ranked AND more popular. There is literally no reason for him to take a step backwards and fight outside the top 10 when he has a top 5 guy right in front of him.

He has a point. He's close to an easy fight against Colby Covington.

Accepting the callout of a dangerous, lower ranked, relative unknown.seems like a bad idea.
Lol MVP has more skin in the game than Gary buddy.. Why you think the UFC gave him Holland for his UFC debut??

We all know why he wouldn't want to fight MVP.

I don't like Garry. Think he's a huge douche. But I agree with him here. He's on a winning streak like him or not. And guys on winning streaks deserve to fight up the rankings.

It is to bad he is a diva. This fight would be dope!

This could backfire terrible for Gary. If MVP stays active and Gary keeps chasing around Colby for a fight that probably won't happen for 2 years. He may quickly find himself underneath MVP on the rankings. Then he will feel awfully stupid when Venum tells him "Sorry bro. I am going for the title. You had your chance and chased around the most inactive fighter in the division for 2 years instead"

He has to be careful. MVP is literally one highlight away from leapfrogging over a whole lot of guys. Highlights and hype sell fights and the rankings can easily be swayed after one good performance vs one bad performance. At this point they should all know better then to put any faith in UFC Rankings. Fighters who do often eat the short end of the stick and regret it later on.

Last edited:
Yeah, and the formula for that is so well known, it's basically tired at this point, and I sit here confused as to how people don't get it. The fighters who need to build back up fight down, and the people who surge fight up. It's incredibly standard.

Fighting down cuz your last win was close is pretty dumb. It should only slow your momentum, not throw it in reverse. And fighting down from his own ranking is one thing, but what's being demanded here is that he fight someone below the ranking of the guy he just beat, which is incredibly inarguable from any point of view not swimming in bias. Why on Earth is that even a consideration? We just treat it like he lost anyway?

MVP is a name, but not one because he's great, he's a name because he's exciting. Like I said earlier in this thread:
I'm not sure why everyone's acting like this is the same thing as Chandler, a guy who was Bellator champ twice and had a victory over a guy who went to become a UFC champ, something that was already better than the first few wins he got in the UFC. That's proven stock. MVP beating Holland just now is arguably his biggest win, especially considering he couldn't beat Lima without the judges help.

And a foreign card is almost always better served having each of their fighters fighting someone else so you can better fill the card out. Putting them together on a local card takes that away
Ideally both of them should fight up in the rankings but I'm not sure if that's going to happen especially in the top 7. Gary might end up being the odd man out and having to fight down in the rankings. And for me it's more that he want to split decision than his fight being lackluster that holds him back but I know for the UFC the lackluster fight also holds people back.

So you like meaningless punches and crotch sniffing. Interesting.
Garry's last fight was a bunch of meaningless punches. Jab and running from Geoff. No killer instinct to put him out. So yea, par the course for Ian, innit.
Should Garry just get a run up to the title avoiding every grappler at WW?

Translation: MVP fight is way too high risk with not enough reward.

This guy is d-bag. I'm tired of fighters trying to cherry pick their path to the title shot. The UFC should force him to fight MVP just for being a d-bag.

He has a point. He's close to an easy fight against Colby Covington.

Accepting the callout of a dangerous, lower ranked, relative unknown.seems like a bad idea.

For someone with a big team helping him, he sucks at PR tho.

What if he instead said 'I'd love to fight him, when he climbs the ranks' or something similar.

Optics.

I don't like Garry. Think he's a huge douche. But I agree with him here. He's on a winning streak like him or not. And guys on winning streaks deserve to fight up the rankings.
Nah. It's a piece of garbage move. MVP just got to the UFC, so his place in the rankings isn't clear. Garry doesn't get to call his shots like that.

Also Garry's ranking is UFC garbage hype. He got a split decision win against Goeff Neil (ranked #10) and somehow Garry is ranked #7 above even Stephen Thompson? Sorry but I call nonsense bullshit on those rankings.

Garry should be ranked #9 and MVP just got to the UFC, so his true UFC ranking could well be higher than his current #13. That means that both Garry and MVP are looking for their first legitimate top 10 fight. It's actually the perfect time for them to fight each other.

Based on that... why should Colby accept the fight?
1. Colby is already begging for #9 Wonderboy
2. Garry is one of the hottest prospects with a ton of hype. Beating Garry does a lot for Colby.
3. Only Usman, Shavkat and Belal are ahead of Colby in the rankings. Do you think Colby would actually fight Shavkat?

Nah. It's a piece of garbage move. MVP just got to the UFC, so his place in the rankings isn't clear. Garry doesn't get to call his shots like that.

Also Garry's ranking is UFC garbage hype. He got a split decision win against Goeff Neil (ranked #10) and somehow Garry is ranked #7 above even Stephen Thompson? Sorry but I call nonsense bullshit on those rankings.

Garry should be ranked #9 and MVP just got to the UFC, so his true UFC ranking could well be higher than his current #13. That means that both Garry and MVP are looking for their first legitimate top 10 fight. It's actually the perfect time for them to fight each other.
Lol at this noob. Geoff Neal was ranked 8th when Garry beat him. Wonderboy is 1-3, his only win in 3 years is against Kevin Holland.

Back