Is Volk a modern day Sean Sherk in the right weight class?

Sherk couldnt get past USDA. And as much as I love Sherk, Volk is all around better.

Sherk was similar in stature to Volk but Sherk fought at 170.

In the modern era of MMA Sherk would be a 135-145er and at 135/145 Sherk would resemble Volk. Volk has more diverse striking but Sherk has better wrestling/endurance and Sherk is probably stronger and bigger.

Do you see any comparisons between Sherk/Volk?

First of all, Sherk mostly fought at 155, not 170...so there's that.

Secondly, besides being short and sticky, there are no similarities at all. Sherk was primarily a wrestler while Volk is one of the most well rounded fighters we've ever seen.

Not a bad comparison, but I'd say he's more like Frankie Edgar, who should've moved to BW and challenged Cruz after losing his LW belt to a near-robbery decision against Bendo. Edgar had solid wrestling (could take down LWs like Maynard), fast/unorthodox footwork and pretty diverse striking. And he was able to cut to BW at the end of his career around 40 years old.

Not a single lw fighter from the top 10 when Sean was in his prime would be in the top 10 now with their skillsets from then and usada. The sport is evolving. I will tell you again if you did not notice.
Whether true or not, that's not the point of comparisons like this. It's not about Sherk from almost 20 years ago being able to beat Vok.

Whether true or not, that's not the point of comparisons like this. It's not about Sherk from almost 20 years ago being able to beat Vok.
It's about them both bein short

Sean Sherk would be a FLW by today standards and by standards I mean Usada

volk has a much more refined striking game, and for grapple heavy fighters, that can make a difference.

First of all, Sherk mostly fought at 155, not 170...so there's that.

Secondly, besides being short and sticky, there are no similarities at all. Sherk was primarily a wrestler while Volk is one of the most well rounded fighters we've ever seen.

Sherk fought mostly at WW simply because there wasnt much of a LW circuit back in the day, and Pride didnt want to risk their Fireball Kid in that style math up

Sean Sherk would be a FLW by today standards and by standards I mean Usada

Lot of meme with Usada and Sherk.
He was in the juice as so many muscle bound fighters of his generation who werent even tested.

Sherk had great conditioning regardless and no, didnt carry 40lbs of extra muscle because of the juice. In no world he would be a FLW, or even a BW.
Sherk would probably be a 145lber today, only after a tough weight-cut which he already had to make 155

Volk is like GSP with slightly more finishes but without the riddum.

Awful take. Sherk's standup doesn't even come close to Volk's. Come on, OP.

Another troll thread. Shocked.
Sherk vs Volk
steroids./ no steroids.
short arms./ normal length arms.
wrestler./ complete submission grappler.
mediocre mma boxing./ excellent mma boxing.
no kicks./ kicks.
beaten by GOATs./ Is a GOAT.
oh. they're the same height. right.

if you post one more hateful thing about sean sherk you're getting smoked foo

To be fair, I think Sherk had pretty good hands. He didn't have any power and his footwork was meh, but he could piece together some pretty solid combos. He'd get beat by guys with better boxing though, ie Frankie, BJ, GSP. He had a great run, sterons or not.

That being said, I don't think Volk and Sherk are that similar other than being stalky with great cardio. Volk is way more complete.

Back