Winner?

• Total voters

Kowboy On Sherdog

Once Upon a Time in The UFC
Staff member
Sherdog.com Staff
Reaction score
upload_2023-11-5_12-9-30.png

Jailton Almeida called out heavyweight contender Ciryl Gane after a lopsided decision win over Derrick Lewis at UFC Fight Night 231 on Saturday.

Almeida (20-2) was a heavy favorite going into his headlining clash against the feared knockout artist in the UFC’s return to Sao Paulo, Brazil after four years. Unsurprisingly, “Malhadinho” used a grappling-heavy approach to completely nullify Lewis’ (27-12) offense, notching a new heavyweight control time record of over 21 minutes.

However, Almeida’s performance raised certain concerns in the commentary booth, particularly for Michael Bisping. Bisping and Brendan Fitzgerald felt Almeida could have looked harder for a finish, with the referee having to call for activity in a thoroughly lopsided fight. Meanwhile, Dominick Cruz repeatedly gave credit to Almeida’s composure and for not risking giving away any positions against Lewis.

Almeida himself felt he had put on a show. However, he also claims to have not really felt Lewis’ power despite being tagged on a couple of occasions, which many believed was the reason behind the lack of activity. Almeida proceeded to call out French contender Gane in his post-fight Octagon interview.

“He wanted a brawl, and I said it was gonna be a show, so did I give you guys the show or what? ... We knew that he has a heavy hand,” Almeida said. “We had 15 to 20 days to come up with a strategy for this fight. And we were able to do that and keep him down and avoid his right hand. I was touched and I didn’t really feel it… And I’m gonna call out a name here, I want Ciryl Gane. I will fight in Paris, we can do it in Salvador, wherever. I’m ready, let’s do it Ciryl Gane.”

Continue Reading
https://www.sherdog.com/news/news/J...own-with-ExTitle-Challenger-Ciryl-Gane-191622

Almeida saw how Jon made easy work of Gane on the ground and thinks Gane is gonna be an easy win too. The problem is that Gane is much better than Lewis, and Almeida isn't Jon Jones

ciryl-gane-reacts-to-jon-jones-defeat.png

Gane beats Jailton. His lateral movement is fantastic and Gane never overcommits. He will pick Jailton off and not retreat straight back nor overcommit moving forward so Jailton’s timing won’t be there in the same way we saw last night against the plodding Lewis. Jailton counters his opponents overthrowing in order to time his entries for TD’s those moments won’t be there against the elusive Gane. He will try to force it and get picked apart.

Jones and Ngannou are different beasts altogether many people get it twisted because Gane lost to the two best in the world handily that he is anything less than elite. Jailton has his work cut out for him if this fight is made. Gane is elite and is better than anyone else in the current division (besides maybe Aspinall) imo.

Almeida is the worst possible fight for Gane. Blaydes can be caught and his takedowns are nowhere as explosive. And Gane can beat Pavlovich.

Pavlovich it's a Combat Sambo Guy ? If he use his Grappling skills against Gane that's going to be a hard fight.

Weak callout.

View attachment 1010311

Jailton Almeida called out heavyweight contender Ciryl Gane after a lopsided decision win over Derrick Lewis at UFC Fight Night 231 on Saturday.

Almeida (20-2) was a heavy favorite going into his headlining clash against the feared knockout artist in the UFC’s return to Sao Paulo, Brazil after four years. Unsurprisingly, “Malhadinho” used a grappling-heavy approach to completely nullify Lewis’ (27-12) offense, notching a new heavyweight control time record of over 21 minutes.

However, Almeida’s performance raised certain concerns in the commentary booth, particularly for Michael Bisping. Bisping and Brendan Fitzgerald felt Almeida could have looked harder for a finish, with the referee having to call for activity in a thoroughly lopsided fight. Meanwhile, Dominick Cruz repeatedly gave credit to Almeida’s composure and for not risking giving away any positions against Lewis.

Almeida himself felt he had put on a show. However, he also claims to have not really felt Lewis’ power despite being tagged on a couple of occasions, which many believed was the reason behind the lack of activity. Almeida proceeded to call out French contender Gane in his post-fight Octagon interview.

“He wanted a brawl, and I said it was gonna be a show, so did I give you guys the show or what? ... We knew that he has a heavy hand,” Almeida said. “We had 15 to 20 days to come up with a strategy for this fight. And we were able to do that and keep him down and avoid his right hand. I was touched and I didn’t really feel it… And I’m gonna call out a name here, I want Ciryl Gane. I will fight in Paris, we can do it in Salvador, wherever. I’m ready, let’s do it Ciryl Gane.”

Continue Reading
https://www.sherdog.com/news/news/J...own-with-ExTitle-Challenger-Ciryl-Gane-191622

At least he's not cherry picking the guy he thinks has the highest ranking with the worst grappling lol.

I voted for Gane. Yeah, that was me.

I'm a huge fan for any submission guy and am totally up for Almeida fighting anyone. My only complaint about last night's fight is he never tried to hurt Lewis. Spivac really needed to rain fists down on Lewis to open him up for the sub and, idk, maybe Almeida has his head up his ass and thinks he can submit anyone, but clearly he's wrong.

Back