Jailton Almeida Targets Showdown with Ex-Title Challenger Ciryl Gane

Winner?

• Total voters
Gane seems picky about who he's fighting after the Spivak win, but he may as well fight Almeida, nobody else makes sense in the next 3-6 months.
Except it's a terrible matchup for him. I expect him to turn it down. Expect Blaydes Almeida and then Jailton gets a title shot (IF the interim gets defended).

Only Gane haters think that Almeida makes sense right now. He is shooting high, as any fighter should, but beating Rozenstruik and going 5 with Lewis is not any kind of resume.

Only Gane haters think that Almeida makes sense right now. He is shooting high, as any fighter should, but beating Rozenstruik and going 5 with Lewis is not any kind of resume.

I'm a fan of Gane but he should be fighting down the rankings. Who else makes sense that could realistically be booked soon? They could do a Volkov rematch I suppose, otherwise Almeida does make some sense.

Almeida showed up, Blaydes didn’t… on to the next.
Gane is the higher ranked guy, therefore it makes sense. I think it’s time we see Gane face a high ranked grappler besides Jones.

Injuries are part of the game, unfinished business - no skipping a step on to the next (a decision against Lewis off the couch shouldn't get you calling your shots - dude ain't champ yet.

Besides some crazy ass flying knee 38 year old Lewis was on a a 3 fight losing streak with his last win being over a sort of pumped up Chris Daukaus - Almeida hasn't earned calling his shots (styles make fights - Blaydes)

Gane, bigger name higher ranked, bigger draw, potentially for Aspinall/Pavlovich (loser??)

Last edited:
Almeida saw how Jon made easy work of Gane on the ground and thinks Gane is gonna be an easy win too. The problem is that Gane is much better than Lewis, and Almeida isn't Jon Jones

ciryl-gane-reacts-to-jon-jones-defeat.png

MUCH better than Lewis? No, not really. The dude has one weapon, his striking. Luckily Lewis is not a grappler so he didn't have to worry in that fight. I don't know why Gane is so overhyped. Dude almost got finished by Tuivasa and got grapplefucked by NCAA Division 1 Ngannou and Jones. The HW division is garbage and yet still he doesn't look that great. Put him against anyone with good grappling, and he looks like a fish out of water. Luckily the HW division doesn't have a ton of great grapplers right now. Too bad guys like Cain, Fedor, Big Nog, Werdum, etc. are retired because they would ragdoll him.

So, Jon is champ, but he is injured.
He only wants to fight Stipe, who is basically retired.
Aspinall and Pavlovich, both young and on winning streaks, will fight for interim.
But the winner will not fight Jones, because Jones only wants Stipe.
Meanwhile, Gane thinks he should fight for the title, because he is #1, although he lost twice in his title fights and he is 2-2 right now.
So probably Gane will not fight Almeida, because why fight a lower ranked fighter.

Yep, the HW division right now.

No

Reschedule the Blaydes fight and be happy that Aspinall's occupied with Pavlovich atm

After suffering err watching Almeida "fight" last night, I can confidently say that would very likely be one of the most boring heavyweight fights in MMA history. No thanks, Jeff.

Something tells me he's in no position to call the shots after last night. I'm guessing Dana is going to look for the most unfavourable match up for him in his next fight.

Back