Economy Landlords look for an exit amid federal eviction moratorium

Would you prefer 58% of of renters live on the street?

Is that really a smaller problem?

You really think 58% of all renters are lazy scum?

Jesus, how hard is it to read?

58% of landlords with fewer than 4 units are owed back rent.
Doesn't really change the point I was making at all, but sure.
On the contrary, it fundamentally refutes the point you were misusing the statistic to make.

You live in a beautiful time because you have the ability to go on the internet and get advice from real people on how to go about landing a good job and living the life that you want to live.

But instead you spend it bitching at those same people who could potentially hold the information that could change your life. Instead of working toward making a better life, you're working against yourself.

It's why you are part of the underclass. It's not because that's your fate or because you had no chance. It's because you wont even try to better yourself. I can almost guarantee that if someone PM'd you and was like "Hey call this number and you'll get hired for a job that pays good livable wages, but you will probably have to move 8 hours away to get the job"...I know you'd come up with a laundry list of excuses for why you couldn't do that.

Reminds me of an incel, but with capitalism. No girl is ever good enough for an incel because they think the perfect girl should land in their laps right away. They die a virgin when all they could have done was hung out with some fatties, gained experience and comfort around women and then worked their way up to a girl they were truly happy with.
You assume that because I'm critical of a system that I must be toiling under it. I'm not. My fiance and I own our own place, and over all life doesn't suck. My pov is really about capitalism and it's failure to live up to it's post French Revolution promise of "Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite" that was supposed to come with the supplanting of an economic system with a king at the head of the table with a capitalistic one.

History has proven this time and time again.

Where I sympathize with his way of thinking is the situation we find ourselves in now. Instead of an elite class of politicians dictating our lives, we have an elite class of oligarchs influencing policy to the degree that the middle class is dying. The north American middle class was thriving when CEOs were making 20 times that of the regular worker. Now the pie is much bigger but they're making something like a hundred times that of the rest of us who's wages haven't kept up with inflation. I rail against this constantly. (I'm foggy on those numbers, so take it with a grain of salt)

Is the answer to abandon the positive aspects of Capitalism by throwing out the baby with the bathwater and redistributing wealth and removing incentives? Oh hell no! That way lies Mordor. And this culling of the middle class has accelerated greatly the last two years with Covid. And that's making things worse for us.

Yet at the end of the day, with gun to head, I'd choose capitalism over communism any day of the weak. I am an individualist and value my freedom above all else after all and that's more of a possibility under our current system than the alternative. Take that to the bank.
I am not so sure that the stats about the erosion of the middle class are complety accurate. Certainly when CEOs are making 100 times the average worker it looks like greed and I do think they need to tone it down. Similarly, I would not want to see a return to the era where workers had no protections. Like everything else, there is a balance to be had but I know it has to be within the framework of capitalism.

I am not so sure that the stats about the erosion of the middle class are complety accurate. Certainly when CEOs are making 100 times the average worker it looks like greed and I do think they need to tone it down. Similarly, I would not want to see a return to the era where workers had no protections. Like everything else, there is a balance to be had but I know it has to be within the framework of capitalism.
Exactly. We have CEOs making at least 100 times the average worker salary, and we have huge companies being crontolled by boards of directors whose sole goal is increasing share price stock holders, the biggest ones of whom happen to be themselves. Meanwhile, all the workers who really make the enterprise run are subject to the decisions of these people who they had no hand in chosing to lead the company, and they live with the consequences of the decisions these people make.

Exactly. Capitalism is a better foundation to build on, but our destructive and selfish tendencies have to be reigned in and controlled. Of course those with more experience, knowledge, responsibility and skin in the game should be rewarded better than the uninitiated or inconsequential. And for those gasping at "inconsequential", sorry, but entry level workers make no difference in operations compared to the leaders. Deal with it.

As with anything involving people, this puzzle doesn't have a binary solution.

Exactly. Capitalism is a better foundation to build on, but our destructive and selfish tendencies have to be reigned in and controlled. Of course those with more experience, knowledge, responsibility and skin in the game should be rewarded better than the uninitiated or inconsequential. And for those gasping at "inconsequential", sorry, but entry level workers make no difference in operations compared to the leaders. Deal with it.

As with anything involving people, this puzzle doesn't have a binary solution.
You hit the nail on the head more eloquently than I was able to! Great post.

You hit the nail on the head more eloquently than I was able to! Great post.
I don't know about that. It helps to flesh out ideas and positions by talking about them. So I say it's a team effort. That goes for the Roger guy we're arguing with. At least he's discussing it instead of screaming and belittling. And that's important.

That aside, appreciate the compliment.

No it doesn't.
It incontrovertibly does. It indicates quite nearly the opposite of what you interpreted.

Your infamous appetite for being a whipping boy really is peaking in this thread. You failed to comprehend the most basic facts the article conveyed; an article that doesn't demand above a sixth grade reading level to comprehend. Yet you persist in doubling down, despite this absolute failure, reflecting a dearth of the most elementary intelligence, and don't have the good sense to slink off.

It's like you want to draw attention to how low you rest on the curve. I can't wrap my head around it, but you do you.

Would you prefer 58% of of renters live on the street?

Is that really a smaller problem?

I don't know about him but I prefer that those landlords default on the loan, get foreclosed on and then Blackrock swoops in and outbids anyone else on the property. This will all happen right around the time the eviction moratorium ends and Blackrock will raise rents, those tenants won't be able to pay, and they will anyways end up on the street. Yes baby, yes, big business stays winning!

It incontrovertibly does. It indicates quite nearly the opposite of what you interpreted.

Your infamous appetite for being a whipping boy really is peaking in this thread. You failed to comprehend the most basic facts the article conveyed; an article that doesn't demand above a sixth grade reading level to comprehend. Yet you persist in doubling down, despite this absolute failure, reflecting a dearth of the most elementary intelligence, and don't have the good sense to slink off.

It's like you want to draw attention to how low you rest on the curve. I can't wrap my head around it, but you do you.

It is clearly not the opposite, it's just a smaller group than 58% of renters, but still quite large group of renters to put out on the streets which is my point.

More homeless isn't a better solution to the problem.

She has a "maid" to do the cleaning, changing linens, cleaning the bathroom etc and a guy who takes care of the outside of the property for her. It's in a very snooty part of cottage country so think rich snobby socialites who love the smell of their own farts.

Idk if they are self employed or work for a company, it's never really come up as part of a conversation.

That’s what I’m getting at. At 4 units these are probably contract help, not on her payroll like the person I original quoted was mentioning. No one with 4 units could keep someone employed on their payroll.

It is clearly not the opposite, it's just a smaller group than 58% of renters, but still quite large group of renters to put out on the streets which is my point.

More homeless isn't a better solution to the problem.

Good thing our open borders add a quarter million people a month to compete for housing. Biden is genius

Yeah, they should go work for peanuts just so someone who owns a building can extract passive income from it.

exactly because if youre smart those peanuts can add up to a lot and you can become a property owner. Aka the american dream? Apparently the new dream is to be a lazy fuck before you do the hard work instead of after

exactly because if youre smart those peanuts can add up to a lot and you can become a property owner. Aka the american dream? Apparently the new dream is to be a lazy fuck before you do the hard work instead of after
you got jokes.

i'm still waiting to get paid by my bum fuck tenants i inherited when i bought my property.. fuckers owe me 5 figures..

Even with the available jobs the cost of housing in many areas is skyrocketing. Landlords Jack up the rent every year even when wage do not go up for people or go up very little percentage wise compared to rent. I get people want to make money but when you have rental properties that you are paying a fixed 15 or 30 year loan on and you keep increasing the rent to pad your pockets more each year, stuff like this will happen. Renters feel exploited so they seized this opportunity to stick it to landlords.
with stories like this, I'm going to raise prices sooner rather than later. Property taxes go up every year, taxes in general, inflation, that gets passed to the renters, it's an endless cycle unfortunately.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/26/politics/supreme-court-eviction-moratorium/index.html

FUCK YES!

can't wait to boot some my nonpaying trash tenants who have been going on vacation and buying their kids video game consoles instead of paying rent
A half-dozen states have eviction moratoriums that are not affected by the Supreme Court's action — California, Minnesota, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York and Washington. The District of Columbia also has a local moratorium

Back