Magic The Gathering

I hate that fucking card.

The first card I ever pulled was a foil Thoughtseize. I thought it was shit and sold it for $120.

It funded by R/G deck for FNM for three months before I became a Siege Rhino loser.

I'm sitting on thousands of dollars of sealed boxes i've been buying over the last few years. Vintage cards have taken a big hit in value over the last few months and i've slowly been taking advantage of that. Bought some beta cards today and recently scooped a light play revised Underground Sea for $295. In January I offered a local game store $380 for the same card, they wouldn't go below $400... Only missing one of the ten duel lands, tundra...

I played in the mid 90s, then picked it up again briefly around 2006 after a bad breakup. I didn't love the game, but I loved the collection aspect of it. Now that Im trying to buy a house, it's time to unload the more expensive cards. I'm finding it's hard to unload power because Vintage isn't that popular and I'd probably have to sell online if I want to get market value.

Also, I remember "investing" in a set of mana drains since the card was overpowered and Wizards would never reprint them...

Never played it but I met a guy who used to travel to Japan to buy cards and then sell them in the states for a profit. He said he was making thousands each trip and more than covering his expenses for a 2-3 week trip + profit on top

I played in the mid 90s, then picked it up again briefly around 2006 after a bad breakup. I didn't love the game, but I loved the collection aspect of it. Now that Im trying to buy a house, it's time to unload the more expensive cards. I'm finding it's hard to unload power because Vintage isn't that popular and I'd probably have to sell online if I want to get market value.

Also, I remember "investing" in a set of mana drains since the card was overpowered and Wizards would never reprint them...
If you've got power and want to avoid eBay I might be your guy... Not looking to pay a ton tho...

It’s pretty fun. I’ve done about 3 drafts now and I’m close to breaking even with gold. It’s sealed so it’s a lot of midrange decks with minor synergies. I’d like to try a more aggressive build if I get enough cards in my pool but so far mostly going for 3 color decks with the most powerful cards .
what language is this

I play this game called Shadow Era, I would advise it for other casuals like me. I tried some other ones like Hearthstone and YuGiOh and that other Magic one, but I couldn't get into them. Shadow Era is just complex enough without being heavy af like MTG. I want something I can play casually not something I have to invest a lot of time/money in to get going.

Blue decks are the worst. I’ve learned with burn to just hold spells and wait for them to tap after hitting them early. As soon as they tap, I’m dropping my entire hand.

Hell yeah. Lightning bolt, chain lighting early on. And then, Ballightning and fireblasts lol

Tabernacle was always a great card.

Cradle was always great, and expensive, but they changed a rule and it ended up being a LOT better. It went from eighty to two hundred almost immediately.

I stopped playing years ago and sold everything I had. Their business model made it impossible to develop a collection and hold some value, the emphasis is on newer and more powerful cards that cycle out, so you're always spending and never gaining any value. Even formats like Modern and surprisingly legacy have cards that leave because they're banned or made redundant by new cards. The only format that's safe is vintage, and a vintage deck is worth tens of thousands of dollars. It will increase with value with time, but it's an enormous investment.
When I played, Cradle was worth $20 tops lol. I had a bunch of them.

It was towards the twilight of my magic playing days but we all recognized Urzas block had a ton of overpowered stuff so a lot of people bought a few boxes of boosters. I think invasion block was the last set I ever bought, and we saw it trending back towards weak cards and the formats were phasing our cards out so it got boring.

on the other hand i nearly just shit myself when i saw what some of these dime a dozen cards back then are now worth.

The tabernacle of pendrell vale was a piece of crap card and now its worth like $2000????? What the heck kind of game changes did they make to make this crappy card worth so much?????/

Gaia's cradle is worth hundreds of dollars????? really????
Put Gaeas cradle in a deck. Then you will see why.

The sports card vs magic card comparison is pretty funny. Boy was a I wrong about which one was the investment and which was the hobby. If I started a few years earlier I would be set for life.

Nothing says “I crush a lot” quite like 20-sided dice.

Put Gaeas cradle in a deck. Then you will see why.
oh I know now. Its combo ability even back then was gross. So was tolarian academy.

But I have not bought a card in like 20 years. I just sell my old stuff now lol

Been playing since Revised edition - so, Alpha, Beta, Unlimited, then Revised. Missed the big money cards by one set.. Slowed down on and off. Had a lot of success with this deck (and variants on it) in the MTGO Pauper tournament scene not that long ago:

1 Forest
1 Island
4 Axebane Guardian
4 Wall of Roots
4 Overgrown Battlement
4 Deep Analysis
3 Lonely Sandbar
3 Tranquil Thicket
3 Seat of the Synod
3 Tree of Tales
4 Muddle the Mixture
4 Drift of Phantasms
2 Freed from the Real
4 Gatecreeper Vine
3 Simic Guildgate
1 Capsize
1 Neurok Stealthsuit
1 Pyromatics
3 Orochi Leafcaller
2 Gruul Guildgate
1 Izzet Guildgate
1 Mountain
2 Sprout Swarm
1 Shielding Plax

Sideboard:
3 Mnemonic Wall
1 Viridian Longbow
2 Freed from the Real
1 Sprout Swarm
1 Vitaspore Thallid
3 Essence Warden
4 Quiet Disrepair

Fun deck. Freed combo with some long term staying power due to the heavy health gain options and token swarm options. Had a 50'ish percent win rate against blue tempo decks, tended to smash tribal and sliver decks, and do quite well against most other types of popular decks. Was always a quick 50/50 against red burn, and anything with plague rats in it (which became increasingly popular to sideboard as I played this more) tended to decimate it.

Pauper was a great format. Gave older players like me who wanted to keep going and have some brewing potential happy without having to spend money like we used to.

Ikoria is out now on Arena.
Enter PLAYIKORIA and get 3 packs and a draft token. The set is alot of fun so far. The mutate ability seems really fun but swingy. You can have a powerful creature with a bunch of abilities but lose it all to 1 removal spell. Lots of mana fixing for 3 color decks.
Anyone who's not playing this needs to check it out. You can play MTG Arena for free(that's what I do) and play to win cards and packs. Being mostly stuck inside now makes this a great time to play the greatest game of our era.

Ikoria is out now on Arena.
Enter PLAYIKORIA and get 3 packs and a draft token. The set is alot of fun so far. The mutate ability seems really fun but swingy. You can have a powerful creature with a bunch of abilities but lose it all to 1 removal spell. Lots of mana fixing for 3 color decks.
Anyone who's not playing this needs to check it out. You can play MTG Arena for free(that's what I do) and play to win cards and packs. Being mostly stuck inside now makes this a great time to play the greatest game of our era.

Am I the only one who really doesn't like Arena much? We already had MTGO, a far, far more complete digital version of Magic. Arena is pretty much a watered down, graphiced up, version of MTGO that sacrifices content and options for flash and fewer options that don't require shoveling in money.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who really doesn't like Arena much? We already had MTGO, a far, are more complete digital version of MTGO. Arena is pretty much a watered down, graphiced up, version of MTGO that sacrifices content and options for flash and fewer options that don't require shoveling in money.
The free play option is huge for me. I never had a problem with MTGO graphics until Arena came out but now it looks very dated.

Arena has alot to do. Standard and mulyiple limited formats. Now they have drafts with real people instead of bots. They always have different constructed formats to try but obviously with the Arena card pool
That cube they had seemed pretty good. I'm hoping we get it back soon now that they have drafts available.

Back