Opinion MAID is Not Only Unethical, It's Murder

I mean even a little bit of reading comprehension should make it pretty clear that's not what I'm saying.
They're literally sending the message that people like me should just kill ourselves. Gee thanks guys I'm sure that's going to help a lot of people out there struggling to keep going just one more month hoping if they keep fighting it'll get better.

<5>

This you?

You said they are “literally” telling you to go kill yourself dude.

some people get depression because whatever chemical compound they need to feel better just hasn't clicked with them yet.

I completely support this for the terminally Ill. The sanctity of life seems to be of increasingly less value as far as society is concerned. Or at least those are the optics.

The problem here is her thinking that doctors are the authority on mental health problems. They're not, they're glorified pill pushers. That's literally their entire arsenal: write prescriptions. They've got absolutely nothing. I bet she knows that, too, she's just looking for an excuse to die and using the doctors to rubber-stamp it. Meanwhile you've got a profession which involves getting a PhD, literally 9 years of nothing else but studying mental health, let me try to remember the name of it... psy... psycholo... Oh right, psychology. She should try one of the professionals, you know, the ones that actually know what they're talking about and have other things in their arsenal than trying to zombify people with pharmaceuticals.

I don't agree with euthanasia or assisted suicide, but ultimately I think it is the choice of the individual. Largely just on a practical level.
Interestingly our own Dr Death had euthanasia legalised on a state/territory level in 1995 before it was overturned by federal government, and ultimately the VAD legislation was introduced nation wide a few decades later.
Despite continuing to disagree with it as a decision, in it's current state I still believe it's the individual's decision to make. Last year was the first year of implementation in my state, and it resulted in 140 assisted deaths (from 195 approved).
To access VAD the person must meet all of the eligibility criteria in their State. A person is eligible if they:

• are aged 18 years or over;
  • are an Australian citizen or permanent resident, who has been resident in the State for at least 12 months when they first request VAD (these criteria can be met in other ways in Tasmania, Queensland and New South Wales);
  • have decision-making capacity for VAD;
  • are acting voluntarily and without coercion;
  • have an enduring request for VAD (i.e. their request is ongoing); and
  • have a disease, illness or medical conditionthat is:
    • advanced and will cause death. In all States except Tasmania it must also be progressive (i.e. the person experiences active deterioration),
    • incurable (Victoria, South Australia and Tasmania only), and irreversible (Tasmania only),
    • expected to cause death within six months, or 12 months for a person with a neurodegenerative disease, illness or medical condition. In Queensland, however, a person expected to die within 12 months may apply for VAD, and
    • causing suffering that cannot be relieved in a manner that the person finds tolerable. The person's suffering may be physical or non-physical e.g. psychological, existential.
A person will not be eligible for VAD based on having a disability or mental illness (or in New South Wales, dementia) alone – they must meet all of the criteria above to access VAD.

The problem here is her thinking that doctors are the authority on mental health problems. They're not, they're glorified pill pushers. That's literally their entire arsenal: write prescriptions. They've got absolutely nothing. I bet she knows that, too, she's just looking for an excuse to die and using the doctors to rubber-stamp it. Meanwhile you've got a profession which involves getting a PhD, literally 9 years of nothing else but studying mental health, let me try to remember the name of it... psy... psycholo... Oh right, psychology. She should try one of the professionals, you know, the ones that actually know what they're talking about and have other things in their arsenal than trying to zombify people with pharmaceuticals.
I'm betting none of them have suggested changing diet, getting exercise, finding a different partner, etc

Very solid point, this.

It's a very slippery slope as evidenced by Canada

971298.jpg

You didn't explain how it's immoral or unethical.

Well, she isn't "totally healthy", unless you don't consider mental afflictions as real. She suffers from Autism, Borderline Personality Disorder, & Depression, and after being told by her medical professionals it wasn't going to get any better for her, she elected death over continued existence.

She has a lover, is a reasonably attractive and young person, and has several pets she cares deeply about ... what do you suggest? We force her to live unhappily so that we might experience less cognitive dissonance? She wants to go. She will find a way with or without medical assistance.

Locking her up and forcing her to live against her will, will not make the world a better place.

She is miserable regardless and I support assisted suicide, but I find that assortment of diagnoses dubious. One of the leading researchers on autism has hypothesized that borderline personality disorder is the precise opposite of autism (extremely high empathizing, deficient systemizing), which would make them mutually exclusive.

Assisted suicide is very important for very sick people. Until you see someone who is only alert and oriented to pain suffering from a non healing wound on their g-tube around which stomach acid is escaping, or people with dementia locked in a frustrating or scary dream, you don't really know the depths of possible medical suffering.

Assisted suicide is very important for very sick people. Until you see someone who is only alert and oriented to pain suffering from a non healing wound on their g-tube around which stomach acid is escaping, or people with dementia locked in a frustrating or scary dream, you don't really know the depths of possible medical suffering.

Same with rabies. In places where they don't have assisted suicide, they just strap them to a bed and wait for them to die (it has a 0% survival rate; I think only 1 person has ever survived it after showing symptoms). It's immensely painful since it's an infection eating away at the nervous system and treatments don't work for it. It's pretty horrifying.

Healthy or not, Assisted Suicide should be a basic human right for every adult.
The "You can't die, because I've decided you haven't suffered enough" perspective is disgusting.

I think adults with incurable or chronic health conditions should be entitled to end their lives. At the same time, I think the process should be stringent with plenty of legal and medical checks.

Do you own your own body? That's the question you need to ask yourself. Once you answer that question, everything is clear & logical.

I believe my body is my own, no one else can tell me what I can or can't do to myself. If I want to kill myself by snorting an ounce of cocaine I should be allowed to do so.

Good old lefties. Go on a lifelong violent crime spree that ends with slitting some old lady's throat to steal her money and it's "whoa whoa, we should rehabilitate this person so they can reenter society and move in next door to your family", but a girl in her 20s who feels a little sad, and suddenly "bro, she said she feels sad, she's obviously totalled, let's execute her".

Back