Max Payne 1,2, and 3

315MMAFighter

MąïȚře Đë Đəğåť§ - Pure Dominican
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Max Payne
download (2).jpeg
Anyone remember this gem of a game?
Did you ever play this? Did you enjoy it or hate it? I just downloaded Max Payne 1 off the PS Store on my PS4 for 8.99 the other day, now its 14.99 (guess the sale ended). Damn this game is still fun as hell to me. Favorite part is when you fight Jack Lupino and he howls like the wolf lmao.

Favorite character is BB the bad guy that kills the Alex guy in the beginning of the game
download (1).jpeg

Playing Control for the past few weeks got me thinking about Max Payne again. Currently, I only have part 3 on PS3 and unfortunately I can no longer tolerate the PS3 controller. I tried connecting a PS4 controller but it doesn’t work at all with the game. Hopefully it gets a re-release or even better, we get a part 4.

Only played 3; I liked it okay. I remember the slow-mo mechanic in multiplayer working far better than I expected.

I can still hear Max’s gravely, over dramatic, dark soliloquies about life in my head sometimes

The original scared the absolute hell out of me as a kid. The opening level of his family being murdered by druggies was way too much for me. I loved it though. Max Payne 3 is an underrated masterpiece of a game.

Played all three. The third was the hardest by far. The first was the best. The nightmare sequences count as videogame historical canon, IMO.
Idk the first one is pretty damn difficult especially on the harder settings and i agree on it being the best, had the best atmosphere and storyline out of the trilogy by a mile

Max Payne
View attachment 834867
Anyone remember this gem of a game?
Did you ever play this? Did you enjoy it or hate it? I just downloaded Max Payne 1 off the PS Store on my PS4 for 8.99 the other day, now its 14.99 (guess the sale ended). Damn this game is still fun as hell to me. Favorite part is when you fight Jack Lupino and he howls like the wolf lmao.

Favorite character is BB the bad guy that kills the Alex guy in the beginning of the game
View attachment 834865

The "history of max payne" videos (G4mers, for one) were great; really interesting story about changing mechanics and story through the years

Love the series. I remember being blown away by the fact that you could read the lettering on the bullets when the first one came out.

Max Payne 1 - Overall the best.

Max Payne 2 - Best story. Poor gameplay. Being able to move fast during bullet time broke the immersion for me.

Max Payne 3 - Meh. Didn't even finish it.

189575.jpg

Mona Sax is one of the best femme fatales in gaming, still. Her 'death' at the end of MP2 was a punch in the gut.

Yeah, I know about the secret ending but it feels shallow.

I still don't understand how Rockstar didn't use their ultra awesome physics and gunplay system from MP3 into GTA 5. Terrible missed chance, and the game doesn't approach RDR2 or even GTA IV in terms of immersion for me.

Max Payne 1 - Overall the best.

Max Payne 2 - Best story. Poor gameplay. Being able to move fast during bullet time broke the immersion for me.

Max Payne 3 - Meh. Didn't even finish it.

189575.jpg

Mona Sax is one of the best femme fatales in gaming, still. Her 'death' at the end of MP2 was a punch in the gut.

Yeah, I know about the secret ending but it feels shallow.
wow really? I loved MP3.

wow really? I loved MP3.

Weird, they just announced the Ninja Gaiden release, and it pops into my head that I would LOVE to see 1 and 2 updated into 3's engine. That would be incredible. Play it like one super long noire thriller.

Only played the 3rd one. Didnt like it. More like an interactive movie with some shooting scenes added.

Idk the first one is pretty damn difficult especially on the harder settings and i agree on it being the best, had the best atmosphere and storyline out of the trilogy by a mile
I only played them on the hardest setting. There were a few sequences in 3 (like coming out of the boat) that were pretty absurd in the 3rd.

I only played them on the hardest setting. There were a few sequences in 3 (like coming out of the boat) that were pretty absurd in the 3rd.

MP3 has some stupidly hard parts on higher difficulties. The boat, the stadium, the office, the hanger near the end, the mall, etc. That game has some serious choke points. Then there are the ridiculous achievements, like "In a New York Minute".

1 is the best, 2 is great, 3...meh. It just wasn't Max Payne, it was a decent cinematic action game. Max Payne in Brazil looking like a biker? Nah.

This was back when 3D Realms were producing and publishing some great games outside of Duke. Remedy is still great, but too bad Rockstar owns the Max Payne IP afaik.

Back